i30 Owners Club

Are you an ALDI bargain hunter?

Lakes · 220 · 43375

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
EJ, EH & HD are all 1960's Holden car models

CID = Cubic Inch Displacement

:-[ :undecided:

I knew what you were talking about LOL I had a FC.HD.HR and HQ at differnet times all three in a tree,I didn't like any of the early GMH auto's

I've had an HR 186 three on the tree, HJ 202 column auto (Traumatic), HX 253 V8 T-bar auto & HZ 3.3 manual column :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The two parameters are response time and refresh rate. Response time is the time it takes for a pixel to change state and back again. Refresh rate (or temporal resolution) states how often per second the screen is updated. While the two parameters are not the same, response time does need to be short enough to support the refresh rate, so there is a relationship.  :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
We had an EJ Premier too 138 CID, (posh), Actually the Hydramatic is a 3 speed transmission that short shifts if the load is light. The Powerglide fitted in the HD onwards, was a 2 speed only and a really bad idea IMO. We also had the EH Hydramatic in 179 CID red motor, a great car, I'd like one now.

Please try to remember, Phil, that this is an English speaking forum :scared:

There's always this option, Steve!   :whistler:

:link:

Rusty your a funny basted,I clicked on the link thinking there was going to be something insightful and educational
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
The two parameters are response time and refresh rate. Response time is the time it takes for a pixel to change state and back again. Refresh rate (or temporal resolution) states how often per second the screen is updated. While the two parameters are not the same, response time does need to be short enough to support the refresh rate, so there is a relationship.  :D

Bugger me Gonz your making my head hurt  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
We had an EJ Premier too 138 CID, (posh), Actually the Hydramatic is a 3 speed transmission that short shifts if the load is light. The Powerglide fitted in the HD onwards, was a 2 speed only and a really bad idea IMO. We also had the EH Hydramatic in 179 CID red motor, a great car, I'd like one now.

Please try to remember, Phil, that this is an English speaking forum :scared:

There's always this option, Steve!   :whistler:

:link:

Rusty your a funny basted,I clicked on the link thinking there was going to be something insightful and educational

If you had entered EJ, EH, etc etc, there would've been, Rick...  :whistler:  :D

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Damned didn't think of that  :Pout:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Would have loved to see some picture of that stuff John (the cars and the TV!)  :confused:
Yes Dazz always interesting, this guy is 15 years younger than me & i always told him he was born after his time LOL he laugh's but it's like going into a time warp. he has a lot of land with all the old cars in a barn.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Phil you know your EJ! i just asumed it used the two speed. hey not many quote in Cubic inch now. the old grey 133 had a weak crank, ok if they are left stock, but the modified to make more power one's would break the crank sharft, the next model EH got the red motor 141? 179 was a much better performing motor, but the Crank was still the problem, did not break like the old grey motor's but it was not fully counter balanced so if modified & stock crank left in them they would go through a series of unbalance vibrations at high rev's, latter Holden fitted a Fully counterbalanced crank painted motor blue. i had an old EJ that had a Repco Big Bore grey motor & twin Carborators it had been converted to a floor shift but still had the front bench seat so the girls could sit right up beside me. i'm told now that those old Repco motors are worth a lot of money. i had an EH 179 Ute three on the tree i got from the old race driver Bob Holden it was his from new and it flew i loved it.
had a HQ 308 4 speed one tonner too.
Back to ALDI if the weekly specials are what the girls will be after Get in Early! anything women go for sells fast. If it's more what men want you can get in later, LOL

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :offtopic: Just a little longer,

The 1st grey motors were 132 CID, somewhere they went to 138. The small red motor was 149 CID. I used to drive a  HD ute 149. No guts, but very quiet and the motor was well worn when I drove it as a kid. It had so much blowby, I had to put a PCV valve kit in it, was a great fix though. The red motors had a 7 bearing crank which helped a lot.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Found out today that our version of Aldi (sort of) , Shiploads, has an invitation only soft opening on Anzac day 2.30 to 5.30PM. I managed to source a couple of invitations today  :whistler:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Kinda makes you an ... ANZAC Legend!  :goodjob: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm going to attach their shelves from all fronts (Take no prisoners I say)  :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I thought you were going to buy, not build.  :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm going to attach attack their shelves from all fronts (Take no prisoners I say)  :P

Fixed  :-[

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I'm going to attach attack their shelves from all fronts (Take no prisoners I say)  :P
... with your shopping chariot of fire.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... with your shopping chariot of fire.  :lol:

Ironically we cruise all over Tassie on a regular basis and have visited 2 of their other stores in the last month. There are only a couple of things I want...

Many Devonport residents haven't ever been in one of their stores, including most of my work mates, so it will be crazy there for the next few days or perhaps even weeks ...  :rolleyes: :sweating:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:offtopic: Just a little longer,

The 1st grey motors were 132 CID, somewhere they went to 138. The small red motor was 149 CID. I used to drive a  HD ute 149. No guts, but very quiet and the motor was well worn when I drove it as a kid. It had so much blowby, I had to put a PCV valve kit in it, was a great fix though. The red motors had a 7 bearing crank which helped a lot.

That's right Phil remember now, hey when i went to the Bathurst motor sport museum  i was looking at the old Waggot motors, did you know much about them? i had heard about them but thats the first time i saw one. they used an old Grey motor but made a fully counter weighted steel crank & they cast there own Alloy cross flow head & used 6 motor cycle carbs with SU float bowls. interesting motor for its time. i could not imagine how much tallent went into that for the year it was done.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not familiar with that engine but 6 carbys, imagine the tuning.  :confused:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Found out today that our version of Aldi (sort of) , Shiploads, has an invitation only soft opening on Anzac day 2.30 to 5.30PM. I managed to source a couple of invitations today  :whistler:

Wow Dazz you must be known by Mr Shiploads i saw that Chickenfeed when i was in Tassie last time. the owner must be American? they dream up catchy names like that. i expect his next business venture will be the Last Resort, tourist rresort  LOL
I used to love going to Sal Markets in Hobart, do you ever go?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not familiar with that engine but 6 carbys, imagine the tuning.  :confused:
was a race only Engine of the day, a lot still seem to think a carbie or Throtle body per cylinder would flow more air but not true. they will only flow what the carb or throtle body that is indervidualy mounted to each cylinder will flow. i much prefer a large manifold with single larger Carb or Throtle body. as no fuel stand off with overlap & you have a large amout of airspace in reserve for higher revs. with EFI & TB that works well. with a carb you need large enough excellerator pump to fill in airspace at lower revs if you hit throtle hard, to stop a flat spot. but still the old Waggot motor was interesting , they also made there own motor latter on it was a 4 cylinder & was used in open wheel race cars. Merv Waggot was a smart man, we also had Graham Waggot. but i think it was Merv that designed the motors. he was a Sydney based Cam manurfacturer too So was Graham. i had Graham Waggot copy the lobes from a 427 Chevy turbo jet V8 onto a Ford Cleverland 351 V8 that also had the small port 2V heads & it out performed a lot of GT's surprised a few of them. but fuel was very cheap then.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow Dazz you must be known by Mr Shiploads i saw that Chickenfeed when i was in Tassie last time. the owner must be American? they dream up catchy names like that. i expect his next business venture will be the Last Resort, tourist rresort  LOL

Haven't been for a while. More for the tourists, so not many bargains any more. We forgot about it when in Hobart the other day. By the time we saw it, was too late (they were packing up) :-P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Haven't been for a while. More for the tourists, so not many bargains any more. We forgot about it when in Hobart the other day. By the time we saw it, was too late (they were packing up) :-P

well might have changed since last i was there, But was unequal, hard to describ why i felt that way, but like Eumundi Markets but different i liked Both & i was fortunate enough to go to Paddys Market in it's Hey Day. Sydney has nothing to match that these day but they try, just all the same we have Markets all over Sydney are they all flog the same thing so very borring. Sal Markets & Eumundi Markets where different when i saw them last, could have changed.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

well might have changed since last i was there, But was unequal, hard to describ why i felt that way, but like Eumundi Markets but different i liked Both & i was fortunate enough to go to Paddys Market in it's Hey Day. Sydney has nothing to match that these day but they try, just all the same we have Markets all over Sydney are they all flog the same thing so very borring. Sal Markets & Eumundi Markets where different when i saw them last, could have changed.
Eumundi Markets are good, John. But the Yandina Markets are even better IMHO, if somewhat more "countryfide". I think Eumundi has become a victim of its own success and is a bit too commercial these days.
I've only been to the Salamanca Markets once but it was a great experience. Hope to get there again sometime in the next few months.

Also, I was a bit of a fan of the Parklea Markets when we lived in Sydney.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Dave, :) everyone can look.
They have got the motor from that old FX on a stand at the museum, it's hard to beleave the amount of work the must have had to do making the mold of the head with twin over head cams & the six carbs, says they went from Amil MC carbs to SU's but the motor they have on the stand has six Amil carb's that have had SU float bowls adapted to them, probably to hold more fuel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ah, the old SU.
Reminds me of the old Jags.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hey Dave, :) everyone can look.
They have got the motor from that old FX on a stand at the museum, it's hard to beleave the amount of work the must have had to do making the mold of the head with twin over head cams & the six carbs, says they went from Amil MC carbs to SU's but the motor they have on the stand has six Amil carb's that have had SU float bowls adapted to them, probably to hold more fuel.
I got asked to navigate once for a guy who was developing a Fiat 128 with 4 Amil carbs. Despite (or perhaps because of) help from the Fiat dealer, the car never ran properly and it never got to an event. For three months I told them to stop messing around and fit a couple of Webers - to no avail - so I moved on.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal