Time to get their number

Guest · 232 · 49276

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Regarding the amount of time police spend on paperwork - rusty's comment would be very true for the UK. The police do indeed spend most of their time shuffling paperwork.

However - it's not their fault - they are subject to a blitz of red tape imposed on them by stupid government edicts, the judicial system and the PC brigade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232778/Police-time-beat-tumbles-13-cent-red-tape-blitz-fails.html
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Regarding the amount of time police spend on paperwork - rusty's comment would be very true for the UK. The police do indeed spend most of their time shuffling paperwork.

However - it's not their fault - they are subject to a blitz of red tape imposed on them by stupid government edicts, the judicial system and the PC brigade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232778/Police-time-beat-tumbles-13-cent-red-tape-blitz-fails.html

That's interesting Alan. And I'm sure it's correct. But you must have a lot of police because every time Claire and I are in th e UK we comment about how high a police presence there seems to be everywhere.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez, Trev, you really need to lighten up.... :fum:

What part of  :lol: and :whistler: don't you get? Do I need to spell it out for you?  :rolleyes:

Oh, and you might wanna read this article:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/newman-government-to-add-more-speed-cameras-and-may-outsource-them-to-boost-revenue/story-e6freoof-1226504919166

If there aren't civilians manning them yet, it appears they aren't far away...
It will bring them into line with other States....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Geez, Trev, you really need to lighten up.... :fum:

What part of  :lol: and :whistler: don't you get? Do I need to spell it out for you?  :rolleyes:

Oh, and you might wanna read this article:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/newman-government-to-add-more-speed-cameras-and-may-outsource-them-to-boost-revenue/story-e6freoof-1226504919166

If there aren't civilians manning them yet, it appears they aren't far away...
It will bring them into line with other States....
I'll lighten up when you back up.
And I don't have a problem with civilians manning the speed cameras. I just commented that it's not common (if it happens at all) up here yet.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Dave could possibly shed light on the camera operators here,they do have a uniform of sorts,but the blokes I have seen  setting up mobile units certainly don't look like policemen,may be ex officers,but look ,more like contractors.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That's interesting Alan. And I'm sure it's correct. But you must have a lot of police because every time Claire and I are in th e UK we comment about how high a police presence there seems to be everywhere.

You may indeed see a lot of police in London and other areas where there is a high crime rate - or where it is politically 'convenient' for police to be seen to out and about. But in my experience that is not true for most of the country.

I cannot recall when I last saw a policemen in my area walking the beat. In fact I have never seen one in my road - or the road we lived in previously over the past 10 years. The only police presence I have seen in my road over the past three years was two police cars responding to a neighbour who caught 2 yobs breaking into his car. He works for a drug company and often carries quantities of drugs - somehow the underworld have discovered this and his car has been attacked 3 times.

The guy who is buying my house visited yesterday and told me that he was burgled two days ago. His partner heard a noise at 5:00 am and when he went to investigate he found a burglar in the kitchen. Despite having bare feet and pyjamas he chased the scumbag down the road but he got away. He phoned the police but they said that because nothing had been taken - it was low priority and all they would do is give him a crime number for insurance purposes to get the damaged door repaired. They were clearly too busy shuffling paperwork at the police station.

However - the police were not too busy the previous day to send out a car to remonstrate with two 10 year old girls playing hopscotch on the pavement outside their own home and accusing them of criminal damage by chalking on the slabs. Some idiot had phoned in a complaint about graffiti.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Speed cameras are manned by civilian operators in W.A. who earn a lot less than police officers do, so I guess the police are then freed up to do other things.
And to the comment from agentr31 about police sitting in their cars doing nothing, honestly, you do not have a clue.
Even when the police are sitting in their cars apparently "doing nothing" trust me, they earn their money.
Until you've done the job and been verbally and physically abused (as I have), spat on (as I have), kicked and punched (as I have), vilified just for doing your job (as I have), hopelessly outnumbered and surrounded by a large group of angry pond dwellers (as I have), all I can say is it would be a good idea to keep quiet.
Let me tell you, you wouldn't even want to be a civilian speed camera operator sitting alone in a van (doing nothing), because there are morons and lowlife out there that stop their cars and go back and abuse them, throw things at them, run over the speed cameras, etc, etc.
The police here actually have to do security checks everyday on all civilian camera operators just to maintain their safety and I guess it takes a certain type of "hero" to do those types of things to people they don't know and have never met just because they are operating a speed camera.  :fum:
I'm sure there are applications you can fill out if you'd like to volunteer for the job, if it is so easy, instead of lashing out with such harsh, uncalled for criticism.
And there you are, outwardly advocating throwing bottles and rocks at mobile speed cameras and diesel soaked tyres and burning the fixed ones.
Very civil.  :fum:
And ask yourself this question. Like them or not, do you think that the advent of speed cameras has changed driver behaviour?
I do.
And for your info, 100% of all "revenue" raised by speed cameras from people who choose to contribute, goes towards road safety in W.A.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:40:13 by db08 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
we comment about how high a police presence there seems to be everywhere.
[/quote]

Until you need them
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Alan, most of the time we have spent in the UK hasbeen out of london and where possible on lesser roads. But I would accept that most of the towns we have been in would have some value to tourists so the police presence in those areas may well not be representative.

I imagine it would be very frustrating when you can't get police to attend a crime in your own home.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'll lighten up when you back up.

Back up?  :wtf:

I just commented that it's not common (if it happens at all) up here yet.

Really?  :rolleyes:
If they are then up here the civilians are wearing borrowed police uniforms.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan, most of the time we have spent in the UK hasbeen out of london and where possible on lesser roads. But I would accept that most of the towns we have been in would have some value to tourists so the police presence in those areas may well not be representative.

I imagine it would be very frustrating when you can't get police to attend a crime in your own home.

Are you sure that you know what the UK police look like……..
When you get to my age they look like this……………

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They were all more like #1 than # 2
Dammit!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
#2 can handcuff me anytime,OOh OOh I fell the chest pains coming back  :whistler: but I think they'd be worth it  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Do you need me to take over, Rick?  :whistler:

NO NO NO I'll be right mate,thanks for the offer but  :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ok then, I'd just hate to see you have a "stroke" or something... :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Ok then, I'd just hate to see you have a "stroke" or something... :whistler:

no the nice looking officer can have as many strokes as she likes  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Settle petal.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
the way he is feeling , Phil...two strokes will do.... :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Do you need me to take over, Rick?  :whistler:
he's offering you his trungent rick.  :lol: :whistler:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

there's a lot of make up on & looks like a wig on a suiside blonde , could be one of Mrs Browns boys lol
but arrest me office & if she say's " anything you say, will be held against you" i'd have to say tit's tit's!

also my view on camera's to check speed is they cause acidents in the fact that they can stop the flow of traffic & also drives need to take eye off the road to check speedo but red light cameras are a good thing
& motorcycles with numberplate on front just to get a head om shot to catch them is useless as you can't possitivly identify a rider with full face helmet you just identify the bike. i think more cops & make copes give the rider the ticket is the right way

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
motorcycles with numberplate on front just to get a head om shot to catch them is useless as you can't positively identify a rider with full face helmet you just identify the bike. i think more cops & make copes give the rider the ticket is the right way

Yes but in Oz the onus is on the vehicle owner to identify who was riding/driving the vehicle at the time or cop(no pun intended) the fine and demerits themselves,won't be a problem in a few years the way tech is going and the way all states tend to keep updating their equipment,personally I don't care whether they have them or not,but the several bikes I had all had them and they where affixed where they were of no danger to pedestrians and had no aerodynamic affect on the bike either,I honestly think it is a biker mentality thing,even the bikes I see on the roads these days nine out of ten of them have the rear number plates bent or deliberately mounted parallel to the road,which is also a big No No,so the no number plate argument to me holds no water, simply a rebellion thing,I like to be a rebel some days to.

Go on Rusty have your rant now I know you want to :whistler: :whistler:,but like me  :evil: your not going to change my opinion as I am not going to change yours,that's why we are called individuals  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes but in Oz the onus is on the vehicle owner to identify who was riding/driving the vehicle

Quite right, Rick...... :goodjob:

Yes but in Oz the onus is on the vehicle owner to identify who was riding/driving the vehicle at the time or cop(no pun intended) the fine and demerits themselves,won't be a problem in a few years the way tech is going and the way all states tend to keep updating their equipment,personally I don't care whether they have them or not,but the several bikes I had all had them and they where affixed where they were of no danger to pedestrians and had no aerodynamic affect on the bike either,I honestly think it is a biker mentality thing,even the bikes I see on the roads these days nine out of ten of them have the rear number plates bent or deliberately mounted parallel to the road,which is also a big No No,so the no number plate argument to me holds no water, simply a rebellion thing,I like to be a rebel some days to.

Comparing bikes of today with their full fairings and much smaller size to a 30 year old motorcycle doesn't really work though.

And really, 9 out of 10 have their number plate bent or mounted parallel?? Me thinks this may be a slight exaggeration..... :winker:

Btw, Rick...how many cars do you see with defaced or obscured plates?

One thing that has been confirmed though with this thread (and other motorcycle related threads) anti motorcycle sentiment is alive and well with most car drivers....  :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Comparing bikes of today with their full fairings and much smaller size to a 30 year old motorcycle doesn't really work though.

Yes comparing the two style of bikes and their differences,but believe me I still a great deal of interest in Bikes of today and I look and occasionally get to ride some,every bike I have come across I could safely design and fit a number plate on the front,but hey I'm a very lateral thinker.

And really, 9 out of 10 have their number plate bent or mounted parallel?? Me thinks this may be a slight exaggeration..... :winker:

Obviously you haven't visited WA in recent times, I shite you not, it is not uncommon here.

Btw, Rick...how many cars do you see with defaced or obscured plates?

Oh'so many times and generally all are on PPL's cars that have something to hide,I have even been guilty of doing it(not recently)

One thing that has been confirmed though with this thread (and other motorcycle related threads) anti motorcycle sentiment is alive and well with most car drivers....  :whistler:

Yes true,but not by me I have and still live on both sides of the fence,I say that EVERYONE who has a license should be forced to ride a bike for a time,if not drive a heavy vehicle be forced to be a passenger in a heavy vehicle for a week or fortnight(especially police officers,sorry Dave not having a crack at you personally),yes so so many car drivers have only ever seen one point of the driving world,if they experienced another maybe they would see things differently.

Funnily enough I was reading through WA transports web site last night looking for something else,penalties wise and what I found to PPL being able to get a license just horrified me,no wonder we have so many tosspots on the roads,especially when it comes to foreigners getting a WA license, I thought the stories I was being told by overseas immigrants and how they obtained their licenses here was just stories,well apparently it's not.

I just hope when it is time for me to hang up my keys,I can recognise the right time and have the balls to hand my license in,yes there are so many out there who shouldn't be on the road(some may think now I should be one of them)I have and will always maintain, a License is a PRIVILEDGE not your God given Right,when PPL start to understand that maybe we'll start getting better drivers on the roads,younguns moan and Bitch today about how hard it is to get a license,F#* me PPL grow up,your getting behind the wheel of what could be a lethal weapon.

Heavy vehicle licenses are the perfect example these days,you wouldn"t believe what I had to do to pass my license years ago, heavy vehicle operators aren't drivers todays, they are simply steering wheel attendants,I see it on a daily basis, yes there are those out there who wish to learn but Oh so many once they have the heavy vehicle ticket,know it all, as do most of the younguns today once they have their cars licenses.

Rant over I'll get of my soap box,but yes I can see your points,cyclists against cars,cars against M/cyclist,m/cyclist against everyone,truck drivers against everyone and everyone hating truck drivers,if it wasn't for truck drivers everyone would have F*#&all on their shop shelves,in their homes or fridges,along with all the people who produce the stuff,so we all have out place.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:13:05 by Grumpy Old Bugger »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've had my HGV licence since 1978.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

I cannot recall when I last saw a policemen in my area walking the beat. In fact I have never seen one in my road - or the road we lived in previously over the past 10 years.

http://urbanlegendsonline.com/how-to-call-the-police/ << problem solved.  :goodjob2:
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Keith thats a classic,I have read that a few times before,I have done a similar thing,but being a tightarse,I saved the second call,I just rang them up told them I have an intruder/s,once they had my address I just told them they could find their unconsious bodies in the street once I had finished with them,yes they got the two blokes but I got in the Poo as well

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
to bad if the two guys fought and killed each other and the cops rocked up.  :twisted: :eek: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal