i30 Owners Club

Time to get their number

Guest · 232 · 49272

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Of course someone on a motorcycle wouldn't think of covering or removing the plates like someone in a car might, hey Dave?   :lol:

Very rare indeed to cover plates.
As suggested, the big offences are often in stolen cars with original plates on, sometimes, false.
Either way, a line of inquiry to follow.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
They could make it compulsory for riders to have airbags built into their suit.

Imagine a giant ball bouncing around with the rider inside after an accident or the rider morphing into the Michelin man.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They could make it compulsory for riders to have airbags built into their suit.

Imagine a giant ball bouncing around with the rider inside after an accident or the rider morphing into the Michelin man.
Car drivers could play motorised soccer with them. :lol:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Maybe a twelve month trial ban on all motorbikes on all roads might work?  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If this is what they think is a valid reason.......

Metal number plates were removed from the front of motorcycles more than 25 years ago because they increased injuries suffered during accidents, in particular for pedestrians.

then surely they can make plastic ones that fit different size bikes...just like they have done to cars.......also this leads to another question ......are the injuries from a bike travelling at 60ks worse than the injuries from a car travelling at 60ks.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Or are the injuries sustained from a small number plate worse than injuries received from a large motorbike?  :undecided:
It makes no sense to me.
If a pedestrian gets hit by a motorbike, I would think that the number plate would be the least of their worries.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If this is what they think is a valid reason.......

Metal number plates were removed from the front of motorcycles more than 25 years ago because they increased injuries suffered during accidents, in particular for pedestrians.

then surely they can make plastic ones that fit different size bikes...just like they have done to cars.......also this leads to another question ......are the injuries from a bike travelling at 60ks worse than the injuries from a car travelling at 60ks.....
No they're probably not. Which is a point I made above.

But, having said all that, I have to say this has been a great discussion. All respecting others' points of view and a bit of fun along the way.

Well done, us. :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm still smiling.
See:
 :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Seems I'm banging my head against a brick wall..... :rolleyes:

You're all arguing as to why we should have front number plates and ignoring the reasons why we now don't have them.
What is the issue? The issue here is that some riders are getting away with speeding because our bureaucrats didn't have enough brains to make sure ALL speed cameras could take happy snaps from the rear.

Update the cameras, problem solved! It's really not rocket science.....  :head_butt:

Instead you'd rather endanger the public, make motorcyclists pay to somehow retrofit number plates just so they can be like car drivers....Unbelievable!  :lol:

Seems you've even ignored the fact that VicRoads has tried to come up with a workable solution to enable number plates to be fitted and they failed. And this is a mob that wants them!

I'm also sure if a pedestrian is struck by a motorbike they are going to pretty messed up whether there is a plate on the front or not. I've found no evidence to support the argument of improved pedestrian safety by removing front number plates anywhere (including academic research of which I could find nada), only emotive rhetoric from both sides of the argument.

http://www.swanninsurance.com.au/communications/134
http://www.carrsq.qut.edu.au/publications/corporate/motorcycle_safety_fs.pdf
http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=747748 << interesting articles at this site
http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=237959
http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=67779

Here in Australia we have the australian design rules which dictate what is acceptable in motor vehicles regarding elements including safety. That's how we got seat belts for example. I see no reason why ADR's could not consider the safety aspects of the lethal chainsaw like device formerly attached on the front of a motorbike thus endangering every living thing on the planet and turning into a benign form of motor vehicle identification. Maybe by specifying they are made from plastic for example, are a particular size and compelling bike manufacturers to provide a space for them on the front of new vehicle as these new non lethal number plates are phased in. Just as seat belts were phased in. Its not rocket science and hence why Vic Roads were unsuccessful.

There ya go problem solved. Your welcome.

Oh, and update the cameras. Catch the miscreants coming and going.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

ouri30
Despite what we think or the ideas we have, you can bet your last dollar authorities will find a way to screw us whether we have two wheels and one plate or four + wheels and two plates.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Despite what we think or the ideas we have, you can bet your last dollar authorities will find a way to screw us whether we have two wheels and one plate or four + wheels and two plates.

Couldn't agree more, ouri30...and from what I've seen so far, most are more than happy to just accept what our bureaucrats feed us.....  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No, they're probably all biased.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Yeah, finally someone gets it..... :lol:

Unlike most of the car owners on here, hey Dave?  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Couldn't agree more, ouri30...and from what I've seen so far, most are more than happy to just accept what our bureaucrats feed us.....  :fum:
Now that's just inferring those of us in favour of the front number plate rule aren't intelligent enough to think for ourselves.

Also, IIRC th eoriginal motor cycle number plate was mounted lengthways on top of the front mudguard. In metal, that could be dangerous. But my bikes had front number plates, mounted crossways below the headlight.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here are two...the first one I was bought up with and the second well........now how are they going to hurt you if you have a prang.....I would think the landing after doing the airborne acrobats would hurt the most....

and

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
then surely they can make plastic ones that fit different size bikes...just like they have done to cars.......

You're forgetting that if front plates were bought in then we'd be out of line with other countries. Do you really believe bike manufacturers are gonna build a different front on a motorcycle just for our miniscule market?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Here are two...the first one I was bought up with and the second well........now how are they going to hurt you if you have a prang.....I would think the landing after doing the airborne acrobats would hurt the most....

and

You're joking aren't you Neptune?

The first one would be like a knife....and besides, totally useless to a speed camera when mounted sideways.... :whistler:

The second one, well, while it's not so exposed there are still corners to slice if you were involved in an accident.... :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yeah, finally someone gets it..... :lol:

Re-read my earlier post. In W.A. we already do this. 

Unlike most of the car owners on here, hey Dave?  :whistler:

I actually don't think I'm biased Rusty. I just see it is fair that motorbike riders have the same rules applied as far as number plates go. That's all.
I have ridden motorbikes for many years, including police bikes. I am not opposed to motorbikes in any way, shape or form. I think they are great to own and ride and it is a great pastime. I am just coming from a legal standpoint. There is no valid reason, in my opinion, why they can't be required to display a front plate, whether it be metal, plastic or adhesive.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Zip ties.
Or if security is a concern, small metal brackets.
Obviously it works on the bike above and did on my bikes 25 years ago.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You guys can dig out all the pics you want but you're still ignoring the fact that Australia would be out of line with the rest of the world who, strangely doesn't seem to have an issue with no front plates.....why is that?  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

and

You're joking aren't you Neptune?

The first one would be like a knife....and besides, totally useless to a speed camera when mounted sideways.... :whistler:

The second one, well, while it's not so exposed there are still corners to slice if you were involved in an accident.... :)
I doubt neptune is suggesting we use the first one. That's why they were dropped.
The second would be the least of your worries.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You guys can dig out all the pics you want but you're still ignoring the fact that Australia would be out of line with the rest of the world who, strangely doesn't seem to have an issue with no front plates.....why is that?  :undecided:
And, as I said above, we were out of line with the rest of the world when we introduced helmets and seat belts.
I've never been one to follow trends, "just because" others are doing it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Zip ties.
Or if security is a concern, small metal brackets.
Obviously it works on the bike above and did on my bikes 25 years ago.

You don't think the boffins at VicRoads wouldn't have thought of that, Trev?
These are guys that WANT front number plates, if it could be done satisfactory I'm sure they would have done it....

You're living in a time warp if you think motorcycles haven't changed in 25 years, Trev...
Oh, an cross ply tires worked years ago too..... :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Anyhow, I've had enough....feel free to think what you like.
You and me both know the Government will do what THEY want to do regardless....  :fum:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

You're living in a time warp if you think motorcycles haven't changed in 25 years, Trev...

Read what I wrote above Rusty. I already said exactly that.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
then surely they can make plastic ones that fit different size bikes...just like they have done to cars.......

You're forgetting that if front plates were bought in then we'd be out of line with other countries. Do you really believe bike manufacturers are gonna build a different front on a motorcycle just for our miniscule market?

they do with cars.........

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What do they do with cars?
Seems to me most cars have pretty much the same number plate position world wide.....  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal