i30 Owners Club

Australian Election 2013

Ugly Mongrel · 749 · 140159

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Please post all election associated comment here.

Here's the first contribution.

http://www.roymorgan.com/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 13:48:41 by Ugly Mongrel »
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I am completely impartial and unbiased towards the election.. as long as that cocky smug "acting" Prime Minister Rudd is turfed out on his ear when the election comes.. Oh never mind .. I was going to say something mean and out of character for me.. but decided against it  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, not much in the way of choice pickings but I still can't see why anyone should trust the Labor machine after their backstabbing antics. The Krudd will always strike me as smug and loaded with ego and personal agenda. If he wants to radically change the Labor party, let him try in opposition and not ruin the country trying it while in government.

With so little real policy out there either way, I'll fall back to choosing the party that routinely gets us out of economic freefall after Labor's mad institutionalised spending rampages.

My 2c.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Kevin seems a nice man from here... almost as nice as Julia was!

Funny tho Gonz... The Labour Party here did the same, in fact they left a note after their General Election failure stating "there's no money left"....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I am completely impartial and unbiased towards the election.. as long as that cocky smug "acting" Prime Minister Rudd is turfed out on his ear when the election comes.. Oh never mind .. I was going to say something mean and out of character for me.. but decided against it  :cool:

Please explain how Kevin Rudd is the "acting" Prime Minister.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Haven't you seen him on TV lately.. That is definitely classed as acting in my book  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Gonz, what is "economic freefall" exactly?

Oh, you must mean what is happening in Queensland under Campbell Newman. Silly me.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Parliament's in recess, so apart from kissing babies, what's to do.

(click to show/hide)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Haven't you seen him on TV lately.. That is definitely classed as acting in my book  :whistler:

If.he's acting, that means Kevin Rudd is reading from "carefully scripted" text. Just like Tony Abbott.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Eye on the ball, people. Think party doctrines, not personal performances. :head_butt:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Eye on the ball, people. Think party doctrines, not personal performances. :head_butt:
Parliament's in recess, so apart from kissing babies, what's to do.

(click to show/hide)

Phil, that IS funny :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Breaking News.......

Prime Minister Rudd and PNG's Prime Minister have just signed a Regional Resettlement Agreement. The RRA will see all refugees that arrive in Australia will be processed under existing arrangements (Christmas Island, Naru or Manus Island). Those found to be genuine refugees will be resettled in PNG. Those who are found to not be genuine refugees will be returned to their country of origin. NO refugees will re resettled in Australia.

Looks like Kev might stop the boats.

Let's see what Mr Abbott has to say about this.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Gonz, what is "economic freefall" exactly?

Oh, you must mean what is happening in Queensland under Campbell Newman. Silly me.

Because Nanna Lie spent all the money, and someone needs to clean up the mess....

As for the Federal Election......I lease and I vote.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Beerman, since 1992 I have leased my vehicles as I have always needed a vehicle for work..

I have used either a standard commercial lease with a residual and more recently, a commercial hire purchase arrangement with no residual.

During those 21 years I have been required by the ATO to maintain a log book for a period of 12 weeks. The purpose of the log book is to enable me to determine what percentage of travel is business related. This enables me to claim a percent of the total vehicle running costs (rego, insurance, fuel, tyres, servicing, lease payments etc) as a deduction off my taxable income.

From what I understand, the new Labor policy is to ensure that all work vehicles (including company provided or novated leased) do the same as  I have explained above. In short, it is designed to ensure all people who use vehicles for work  use do not use the Australian tax payer to fund their private use as is the case now.

This change is designed to have the same effect as the fringe benefit tax introduced by the Hawke government stopping long "business" lunches being claimed as a tax deduction.

Personally, I think it makes sense.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:30:04 by Ugly Mongrel »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Breaking News.......

Prime Minister Rudd and PNG's Prime Minister have just signed a Regional Resettlement Agreement. The RRA will see all refugees that arrive in Australia will be processed under existing arrangements (Christmas Island, Naru or Manus Island). Those found to be genuine refugees will be resettled in PNG. Those who are found to not be genuine refugees will be returned to their country of origin. NO refugees will re resettled in Australia.

I can't wait to hear how many billions this will cost.
Apparently Rudd has promised to pay for it all, plus pay for developing PNG's university programme in the years to come, plus "other" projects that PNG wants to undertake, because, and I quote the PM himself, "That's what neighbours do."
Given that we can't afford our current interest payments, I would also like to know where all of this money is going to come from.
Or is "Middle Australia" going to be taxed even more to cover it all?
Time will tell.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Breaking News.......

I can't wait to hear how many billions this will cost.
Apparently Rudd has promised to pay for it all, plus pay for developing PNG's university programme in the years to come, plus "other" projects that PNG wants to undertake, because, and I quote the PM himself, "That's what neighbours do."
Given that we can't afford our current interest payments, I would also like to know where all of this money is going to come from.
Or is "Middle Australia" going to be taxed even more to cover it all?
Time will tell.
It's costing us billions now. The way I see it, it's just redirecting where the money is spent. And if it is at all successful and results in a reduction of th eboats, then the savings will follow.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I disagree.

It is adding billions to the billions we are already spending.

Rudd (& Gillard) failed Australia with their border protection policies and you and I pay for it.

They were just too pig-headed to accept that it was already under control.

I resent that and I hope that the majority of Australians remember it on election day.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Substitute Rudd for, we.

I love the way PM's spend someone else's money, without a care in the world. Maybe he's forecasting an election loss.  :whistler:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

"I love the way" some people  find it convenient to forget the billions of dollars of our money John Howard spent "without a care in the world" sending us to a couple of wars. Wars which help start the exodus of refugees.

I resent that and I hope that the majority of Australians remember it on election day. I know I will.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
"I love the way" some people  find it convenient to forget the billions of dollars of our money John Howard spent "without a care in the world" sending us to a couple of wars. Wars which help start the exodus of refugees.

I resent that and I hope that the majority of Australians remember it on election day. I know I will.

I will, Terry.  It paid for my house deposit!!   :whistler:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Jamie, I don't begrudge any service personnel receiving what is due to them. I just begrudge the fact that John Howard  sent you (and my son) to war based on lies. Talk about wasting billions.

Pip
You might remember, I  don't (try very hard to) comment on political shit but most of this is irrelevant. If you use the car for work it's all good, otherwise you can't claim it's a tax deduction. Seems fair to me.  :goodjob2:

Sorry, I thought this was about FBT and who is eligible.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Jamie, I don't begrudge any service personnel receiving what is due to them. I just begrudge the fact that John Howard  sent you (and my son) to war based on lies. Talk about wasting billions.

I agree with you, Terry.  Hence the  :whistler:.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Tony Abbott????

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Naughty boy UM, you leaked the Libs Election theme song, early.  :disapp: :disapp:

:lol: :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Beerman, since 1992 I have leased my vehicles as I have always needed a vehicle for work..

I have used either a standard commercial lease with a residual and more recently, a commercial hire purchase arrangement with no residual.

During those 21 years I have been required by the ATO to maintain a log book for a period of 12 weeks. The purpose of the log book is to enable me to determine what percentage of travel is business related. This enables me to claim a percent of the total vehicle running costs (rego, insurance, fuel, tyres, servicing, lease payments etc) as a deduction off my taxable income.

From what I understand, the new Labor policy is to ensure that all work vehicles (including company provided or novated leased) do the same as  I have explained above. In short, it is designed to ensure all people who use vehicles for work  use do not use the Australian tax payer to fund their private use as is the case now.

This change is designed to have the same effect as the fringe benefit tax introduced by the Hawke government stopping long "business" lunches being claimed as a tax deduction.

Personally, I think it makes sense.

I have no problem closing such things, but lets look at some other things that some have that I don't.

For example, dodgy business deductions, home office deductions, income splitting etc. Hell lets start taxing Trade Unions while were at it!

And while were at it, why should that log book be only 12 weeks, one could easily dodgy up a book for that period of time to overstate business use, lets make it 52 weeks.

And while were attacking the novated lease, why leave the health employees ability to salary sacrifice into their mortgage alone?

See where I am going?

Oh and a fair percentage of those who are effected are Government employees, guess whats going to happen come the next Enterprise Agreement (we lost X amount of income so we need a bigger pay rise just to bring us back to parity).

The final question I guess is, if this was so bad, why did the Government make changes in 2011? why not kill it then?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't worry, Beerman..If Rudd misses out and Abbott gets in he'll be looking at your suggestions along with everything else that can be cut....  :snigger:
FBT will be the least of our worries.... :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As I've said, if TA gets in he really hasn't got much choice other than to cut spending to try to start clawing back the massive debt created by Labor.  :whistler:  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal