i30 Owners Club

Australian Election 2013

Ugly Mongrel · 749 · 140157

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

According to economists such as Professor Joseph Stiglitz it is precisely the level of stimulus spending Australia opted for when the GFC hit that saved Australia from a disastrous recession. If Hockey becomes Treasurer in September, he will inherit the world’s best- managed economy by a street.

:rofl:
That did make me laugh out loud.
Lucky that they inherited such a good set of books from Liberal then because if they hadn't, they wouldn't have had it to spend on pink batts and school buildings that weren't required.

If Joe Hockey becomes Treasurer at the election he will be inheriting a massive task to yet again reel in the massive and reckless spending we have seen since 2007.

Don't fall for the spin that Labor put on it. It is just spin.

Oh they all spin brother.....

If only they had have given the schools some cash and let them build what they wanted.....All schools could have managed their own build and gotten what they wanted for far less money.

Whilst I'm happy for the coin I received during the GFC, I'm sure that it could have been better spent on the Bruce Highway, upgrades to Brisbane's CBD rail tracks, a hospital or something we could actually look back and say, we have all this debt, and this is what we got for it.

I didn't get a cent.
But then again, I don't think anyone should have got a cent.
All it did was allow people to purchase Chinese made TVs and prop up another country's economy.
You are right. For far, far, far, far less than they spent, they could have built a new major hospital in every capital city and poured money into untold things that Australians could have benefited from.
But instead, they wasted it and now it has to be paid back.
Truth is, they are just clueless.

If it makes you feel any better, I spent it well......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I didn't get any either (bread and dripping for us)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :lol:

We must be bad, Dazz.

Even several dead people got it.  :rolleyes:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
None for this little black duck either.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They must know who votes what.  :scared:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:lol:

We must be bad, Dazz.

Even several dead people got it.  :rolleyes:

I was Dying to get some  :undecided:

They must know who votes what.  :scared:

It appears so  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I don't care what you lot say, I reckon there are a few of these on here.... :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I don't care what you lot say, I reckon there are a few of these on here.... :whistler:

Did you take that in your mirror?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Kettle Pot Black .. sort that out and get back to me (as Fatboy would say)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Dave, you don't really understand the purpose of the Economic Stimulus Package if you think building a "major hospital in every capital city" would have had the same effect as the roof insulation scheme,  the school building program, bank deposit guarantees and the cash bonus.

Getting major projects like hospitals off the ground takes years and years of planning before the first sod of soil is turned, followed by years of construction. I know because I work in the major project "world".

The intention of the programs was  to inject government funds very quickly into the economy across a broad number of industries and locations.

Despite some of the failures in the insulation and school programs, the ESP achieved it's aim to stimulate the economy. Australia came through the GFC relatively unscathed by world standards because of the ESP.

For every bad story you heard about the shortcomings of the ESP, there were hundreds of untold good outcomes. I believe this was mainly due to the media sensationally reporting the failures but never looking for the successes.

I remember at the time, the likes of Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt banging on about plasma TVs and money going down the pokies while never mentioning that people used the money for good purposes.

Personally, I look back on the ESP every time I drive past a school with a  new multipurpose hall being used by not only the school, but the whole community, and I think, what a great use of taxpayer's money.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Releasing your policies early is always fraught with danger. :rofl:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I heard a great interview on the ABC a few weeks ago with George Megalogenis.  One of the reasons Australia came through the GFC relatively unscathed was that our Government was spending when every other Government wasn't. 

While UM and I don't see eye to eye on political parties, I do have no problems with the idea of spending money quickly to stimulate the economy.  I too look at the "Julia Gillard / Kevin Rudd / Peter Garrett Memorial Halls" in the schools and actually think that they were a great idea.  The Government should be spending money on community projects.  You will always hear of the poor decisions and bad outcomes.  BTW, it wasn't Peter Garrett that electrocuted the insulation installers, it was the dodgy companies trying to make a quick buck the expense of some poor buggers life.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Well said, Jamie.

I was.involved in state school.P&Cs for 11 years,  both at the school as president and as a member of.the state executive of the QCPCA.

I know from first hand experience how much schools were absolutely delighted to receive ESP funds for school facilities that would have taken years and years of fund raising to obtain.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Watch out, Liz is NOT HAPPY JAN. :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Kettle Pot Black .. sort that out and get back to me (as Fatboy would say)

Time for a game of snooker and a cuppa?  :undecided:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

And now for a bit of balance... :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I didn't get any of that $900 either.   :undecided:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

For those of you are fed up with the Kev & Tony Show, there ARE alternatives you know. :faint:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dave, you don't really understand the purpose of the Economic Stimulus Package if you think building a "major hospital in every capital city" would have had the same effect as the roof insulation scheme,  the school building program, bank deposit guarantees and the cash bonus.

Getting major projects like hospitals off the ground takes years and years of planning before the first sod of soil is turned, followed by years of construction. I know because I work in the major project "world".

The intention of the programs was  to inject government funds very quickly into the economy across a broad number of industries and locations.

Despite some of the failures in the insulation and school programs, the ESP achieved it's aim to stimulate the economy. Australia came through the GFC relatively unscathed by world standards because of the ESP.

For every bad story you heard about the shortcomings of the ESP, there were hundreds of untold good outcomes. I believe this was mainly due to the media sensationally reporting the failures but never looking for the successes.

I remember at the time, the likes of Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt banging on about plasma TVs and money going down the pokies while never mentioning that people used the money for good purposes.

Personally, I look back on the ESP every time I drive past a school with a  new multipurpose hall being used by not only the school, but the whole community, and I think, what a great use of taxpayer's money.

I fail to see how smashing the mortgage stimulated anything.

Guaranteeing the banks was a good move. But at the end of the day the GFC was an economic downturn, we threw a whole chunk of coin at it, and delayed a recession. Low and behold, the economy picked up and we had over heated the economy, and had a wack of debt to show for it.

The Queensland Coroner recently made findings on 3 of the deaths from Kev's pink bats. Whilst I believe that the money grabbing businesses copped a fair chunk of the blame, so did the Government for trying to do in 6 months what should have taken years to develop. Lack of oversight and lack of foresight. You see one of the things when developing a program like this is to anticipate money grabbing businesses, and put processes into play to ensure that they are detected and stopped early.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As Terry said earlier...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Jamie, I don't begrudge any service personnel receiving what is due to them. I just begrudge the fact that John Howard  sent you (and my son) to war based on lies. Talk about wasting billions.
those un findable weapons of mass exaggeration.  :whistler:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Releasing your policies early is always fraught with danger. :rofl:

This poster makes a good point. Now, do I want the party that implements:
A. its own policies as elected?
B. the opposition's policies under threat of losing power?
 :TutTut:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Jamie, I don't begrudge any service personnel receiving what is due to them. I just begrudge the fact that John Howard  sent you (and my son) to war based on lies. Talk about wasting billions.
those un findable weapons of mass exaggeration.  :whistler:

But the American's "knew" that the Iraqi regime had Weapons of Mass Destruction.  They still had a copy of the receipt when they sold them to Saddam.

A good example of American logic. 
A couple of planes flown into buildings by terrorists, trained/lead by a Saudi Arabian, hiding in Afghanistan/Pakistan leads to the invasion of Iraq.  :head_butt:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But the American's "knew" that the Iraqi regime had Weapons of Mass Destruction.  They still had a copy of the receipt when they sold them to Saddam.

:baps:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Looks like Tony is going to have to change his voicemail message :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal