i30 Owners Club

2008 Hyundai i30 SX CRDi - Mould smell from Air Conditioning

Offline 2008 Hyundai i30 SLX

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I have had a problem since new of a Mold smell from Air Conditioning.

It was suggested in another discussion in this forum that a anti bacterial bomb could be used.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=23282.0
It my understanding that from reading this discussion that this works temporarily.
I was after a more permanent solution.

I did take it to Hyundai Service to resolve this and apparently they replaced all the filters.
How it was short lived and the mold smell returned.

It was also suggested that you can perhaps take out a condensation tray and this could be the solution.

How to pull the condensation tray out of and I30 ?

Has any one else had a solution to this ?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:47:10 by 2008 Hyundai i30 SX CRDi »
  • 2008 Hyundai i30 SLX CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I haven't had this problem, but changing the filters will not work. Filters simply filter air. Mould is a plant like growth that requires the right amount of temperature, moisture and light to survive. To get rid of it requires the removal of these components. Most likely, dirt has collected on the condensation drip tray and with water, this is generating a smell. This tray requires removal and cleaning. The evaporator fins should be cleaned as well.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You say ... This tray requires removal and cleaning.
Can you give me the technical name and describe location?

You say ... The evaporator fins should be cleaned as well.
Can you describe location?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I think your best option is to visit and describe your problem to an car air conditioning company. They have the tools and experience to do the job properly. The evaporator fins are likely to be difficult to get at. As far as I know, they are  located on the RHS of the vehicle, behind the dashboard.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi 2008...

:wttc:

I did also have that mold smell in the cabin last year. I bought one of those anti bacterial things to spray into the cabin air intake (after removal of the cabin filter!).

Now, more than 1 year later the smell still haven't come back.. :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the welcome, ...  and all the advice.

I would like to avoid bombs and sprays etc. Although this sounds like a nice easy fix.
I did think of to, ... and may like to try at best to keep things natural, like watered down Eucalyptus oil spray.
BUT i am really concerned with it effects on if any plastics in these areas. So maybe not a good idea.

I am happy to work of this, and take apart the parts, if able to clean.

SO ... Does anyone know how to, and able to send, ... or post a pdf, ...
of how to remove, clean and replace the

The condensation drip tray
The evaporator fins.

Thanks in advance

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would have posted a some details, but even the workshop manual has very little in the way of description or drawings. :Pout:

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I can't give you a "chmemistry free" advice for cleaning the aircon but maybe some tip for avoiding the return of the problem after you cleaned the aircon.

As you probably know the main cause of mold is the moisture that develops around the condenser as long as the condenser is cool. So if you can reduce or eliminate the moisture you shouldn't get any mold.

To reduce the humidity I deactivate the A/C function (but not the ventilation) a couple of minutes before reaching my destinantion. So my hope is that the warm air from the outside that blows trough the aircon system dries it out so that afterwards when the car is parked no more humidity is caught inside the system.

And avoiding mold is by far better than cleaning the aircon regulalrly with chemistry becuase this stuff is suually quite aggressive and you'll have it blowing trough the car for quite some time after you "cleaned" the aircon. There's healthier things you can breathe in ;)

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good advice, I believe from other forums this does work some what.

However I has have tried this and I still have a faint smell.
I would like to clean out then persue this method.

Can anyone describe or download instructions how to
How to pull the condensation tray out of and I30 or clean the vaporator fins?

OR is anyone able to send, ... or post a link to a pdf, ... 2008 Hyundai i30 SX CRDI Workshop Manual.pdf
on ... how to remove, clean and replace the

The evaporator fins.

Links to workshop manuals on this, and other forums, but the feedback is that they are not comprehensive, and waste of money.
Is there a more comprehensive manual?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:06:36 by 2008 Hyundai i30 SX CRDi »

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Tea tree oil is not good with plastics. We had a small amount spill on an acrylic bath tub and its made a mess. I wouldn't be spraying it in a car.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good advice, I believe from other forums this does work some what.

However I has have tried this and I still have a faint smell.
I would like to clean out then persue this method.

Can anyone describe or download instructions how to
How to pull the condensation tray out of and I30 or clean the evaporator fins?

OR is anyone able to send, ... or post a link to a pdf, ... 2008 Hyundai i30 SX CRDI Workshop Manual.pdf
on ... how to remove, clean and replace the

The evaporator fins.

Links to workshop manuals on this, and other forums, but the feedback is that they are not comprehensive, and waste of money.
Is there a more comprehensive manual?

Thanks in advance

Surprisingly, there is little information on what you propose to do. The official manual simply details how to replace the TX valve in the evaporator, but no mention on trays or how to get there, otherwise I would have given you the information in an earlier post.

If you're absolutely sure you want to do this, you'll have to follow the 2 refrigeration lines in the engine bay, they will then go through the firewall into the cabin area and that is where the evaporator should be located. The drain pipe for this is on the RHS for my car, OZ RHD. You will then have to go, unguided through the process of dismantling plastic covers and eventually exposing the drip tray. I still can't see why you don't take it to an AC shop, tell them the problem and take their advice on what to do. Surely they have dealt with similar complaints in other vehicles.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal