i30 Owners Club

wheel alignment rear wheels

Offline benklerk

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Western Sydney
HI all

I got my I30 GD elite serviced (15,000km), and I asked for a wheel alignment. Hyundai service center could do the front wheels but not the rear wheels. They told me that the rear wheels can not be aligned because the rear wheels does not have the mechanism to align the rear wheels.

Has anyone come across this when they have serviced their car?
  • I30 GD elite Auto CRDI

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I got a 4 wheel alignment on the FD. I think the idea is to bring the front into alignment with the back wheels so they are all working as one. From memory on the FD there is an ability to adjust the rear wheels somewhat. I have no idea if this carried forward to the new model, but suspect most of the things you can't see wouldn't have been subject to too much change.

But I have a habit of getting these things wrong. What I do know is that most cars get 4 wheels aligned and most dealers and service centers subcontract the work out then add a premium for the work that they didn't do.

On another question, why would you need an alignment at 15000k? Thats not far at all.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I had a  4 wheel alignment on my 2011 at Kmart at 20,000km.  At the 15,000km service, was told that the tyres were scrubbing on the insides and needed alignment.

When I buy a new car next time, I will be taking it straight to an alignment place to get it checked, and if they are out, then will be going back to HY to complain.  I only got 25,000k out of the first set of tyres because of the scrubbing.  I rotated tyres every 5,000km too, even on the rims.

But they may have changed the way the rear wheels are set on the GD.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The rears are definitely adjustable on the FD. Not sure about the GD as I seem to remember some talk about a different rear suspension, although IIRC, that's not the same for both factories.
However, as beerman says, most cars, especially smaller FWD models are 4 wheel adjustable these days.

Importantly, the rears are set FIRST, then the front.
Or else you are simply adjusting the front to counter whatever might be wrong at the rear.
So, if the rear is out and you only set the front, you are basically doing an adjustment which will see the fronts out as well, causing excess tyre wear both front and rear.

Someone on here who has a GD in the same country may be able to clarify this.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The GD has torsion bar suspension, could that be the reason for no adjustment. However the CW's arriving from Europe probably have the IRS, (needs confirmation).
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had a  4 wheel alignment on my 2011 at Kmart at 20,000km.  At the 15,000km service, was told that the tyres were scrubbing on the insides and needed alignment.

When I buy a new car next time, I will be taking it straight to an alignment place to get it checked, and if they are out, then will be going back to HY to complain.  I only got 25,000k out of the first set of tyres because of the scrubbing.  I rotated tyres every 5,000km too, even on the rims.

And they will still tell you that you hit a pothole on the way.....Why because that's how they roll....

My wife will get about 30k from her first set, no alignment problems either.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
On the FD only the toe can be adjusted on the rear.

Someone posted a pic of the underside of their new GD some time ago. I'm sure I saw excentric bolts on the rear, but that was a car with independent suspension, so must be a euro car.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal