Post Australian election

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I do.
I also know the difference between an open mind and a closed one.  :whistler:

I'm open to the facts. There have been none. Only suggestive pictures with NO supporting information about what really was going on there. I have said this all along and would love to know the facts. No one is saying.

Here again is the original article:

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2013/07/some-great-aussies-live-on-christmas-island-meet-a-dead-set-patriot-shaz-with-the-telephoto-lens.html

As you can see long on opinion, short on facts. It certainly doesn't look good... but without facts its hard to know for sure whats going on. In the absence of facts we are just speculating at this point as you well know. As is the photographer and certainly Mike Smith as well.

The image metadata says Sharon Tisdale aka Shazzarati. According to google, the reputable news agencies have stopped talking to her but Mike Smith seems to publish pretty much everything she says. Lets see if this continues.

It may be the only way to hear whats going on in future, unsubstantiated or otherwise.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Give some time for policies to start to work and for the new government to wind back the failings of the previous Labor government.
Pure logic tells you it will take a bit of time when the failings were so deeply entrenched.

Just like you did when Rudd took over from Gillard?  :lol:

You wouldn't know. You didn't know me then.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I do.

I'm open to the facts. There have been none. Only suggestive pictures with NO supporting information about what really was going on there. I have said this all along and would love to know the facts. No one is saying.

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2013/07/some-great-aussies-live-on-christmas-island-meet-a-dead-set-patriot-shaz-with-the-telephoto-lens.html

As you can see long on opinion, short on facts. It certainly doesn't look good... but without facts its hard to know for sure whats going on. In the absence of facts we are just speculating at this point as you well know. As is the photographer and certainly Mike Smith as well.

The image metadata says Sharon Tisdale aka Shazzarati. According to google, the reputable news agencies have stopped talking to her but Mike Smith seems to publish pretty much everything she says. Lets see if this continues.

It may be the only way to hear whats going on in future, unsubstantiated or otherwise.

Maybe it will.  ;)
I mean we haven't seen any media photographs of asylum seekers or boats since Julia Gillard gagged the free press.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Give some time for policies to start to work and for the new government to wind back the failings of the previous Labor government.
Pure logic tells you it will take a bit of time when the failings were so deeply entrenched.

What, barely 3 months ago?  :undecided: :eek:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ONE boat arrives since the Liberals take over and you make a comment like that.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your bias is showing, Mr Rustynutz.

Correction, Dave, eight boats have arrived.

Keep up with the program, Dave, or your bias might start showing, too. :disapp:

http://brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christmas-island-residents-will-tell-the-world-about-asylum-seeker-arrivals-union-leader-20130923-2u8se.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:33:00 by Ugly Mongrel »
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
I do.

Maybe it will.  ;)
I mean we haven't seen any media photographs of asylum seekers or boats since Julia Gillard gagged the free press.

I missed the memo on that one and couldn't find any information about it. Have you some details about it for me? Not being provocative, I just want to know more about this.

On the other topic, Tony did say it might take a while to sort out stopping the boats which is fair enough. Lets see how he goes.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I think that started showing long ago, Um...  :lol:

As for the boats, I was being generous and didn't count the boats that arrived before Abbott was sworn in....  :D

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

:eek:

I think that started showing long ago, Um...  :lol:

As for the boats, I was being generous and didn't count the boats that arrived before Abbott was sworn in....  :D

Maybe they are slowing due to the PNG policy. Just saying. :eek:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Like you, Keith, I don't recall Julia ever "gagging the free press", particularly in relation to photos of asylum seekers.I know I saw a continuous stream in the media.

I wonder where Dave made that one up got that one from. :whistler:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I meant six years ago.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

ONE boat arrives since the Liberals take over and you make a comment like that.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your bias is showing, Mr Rustynutz.

Correction, Dave, eight boats have arrived.

http://brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christmas-island-residents-will-tell-the-world-about-asylum-seeker-arrivals-union-leader-20130923-2u8se.html

That's biased UM.
That is since the day after the election, not since he was sworn in as PM.
Get with the program, Terry, or is your bias showing?  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I meant six years ago.

I wasn't aware that Rudd took over from Julia 6 years ago....  :eek:  :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I meant six years ago.

I wasn't aware that Rudd took over from Julia 6 years ago....  :eek:  :snigger:

Point to you.  :hatoff:
I meant when Rudd took over six years ago.
But does that mean that you acknowledge there were failings to overcome when Rudd took over from Gillard?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I do.

Maybe it will.  ;)

I missed the memo on that one and couldn't find any information about it. Have you some details about it for me? Not being provocative, I just want to know more about this.

On the other topic, Tony did say it might take a while to sort out stopping the boats which is fair enough. Lets see how he goes.

The media weren't allowed to report boat arrivals or publish photos of asylum seekers as it "risks national security" to do so, apparently, yet Labor did this which resulted in them being accused of double standards.

When they wanted to use such images for their own political gain they did so, yet for months prior to this, you would not have seen photos of this nature in Australian newspapers.

The Federal Government has been accused of employing a double standard over images purportedly showing the first group of asylum seekers to be processed under its new policy.

On Monday the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) released several photos which it says show a group of 81 Iranians being told the news that their hopes of settling in Australia have been dashed.

One pixelated image depicts a woman with her head in her hands, and is captioned: "A female asylum seeker comes to terms with the fact she won't be settled in Australia."

No journalists were allowed in to the Christmas Island location where the asylum seekers were briefed, and there is no way of verifying the material.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-22/government-under-fire-for-asylum-seeker-photos/4835940
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
According to the article, departmental policy (which may be but is not not always policy mandated by the government) does not forbid media images and recording.

"DIAC is willing to grant to the Media Entity access to immigration detention facilities in a manner that respects the privacy of the detainee clients residing in such facilities, and protects the identities of both the detainee clients and other third parties," the agreement states.

Therefore your earlier statement is incorrect about "the government" banning media information about the boats - according to this article anyway. I searched high and low, I can't find any such reference to a previous government sponsored media clampdown. 

Anyway, this explains the rise of shazzarati and her telephoto lens. There is no restriction on taking image from outside the detention center (from public places). But because there is no journalistic validation, it is unable to be established what these pictures tell us. All they show us are people and boats. Any conclusion drawn is purely speculation - however it looks. And I know you know this. Nice deflection last time btw. ;)

This explains why the mainstream news now won't use her information - there's no validation. And without validation, its worthless as news. You saw what Mike Smith did with it - nothing newsworthy. He made some personal observations and some snide comments. He reported nothing because he knows nothing about what was actually going on. 

This made me laugh: The media weren't allowed to report boat arrivals or publish photos of asylum seekers as it "risks national security" to do so, apparently, yet Labor did this which resulted in them being accused of double standards.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there (he said kindly). The argument of double standards was Nick Xenophon grandstanding which is what he does. The national security thing you have latched on to is not mentioned anywhere. Maybe we should ask Mulder about this - he was right btw but I digress.

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon says it is a double standard given the tight rules around journalists getting access to asylum seekers.

The picture released concealed the woman's identity meeting the departments regulations. Not sure what the fuss is about. They abided by the same rules as everyone else. The problem for the media is that its hard to make a compelling human interest story if they abide by the rules. They can't tell us about Fahdi's terrible oppression and terrifying journey in the hope of seeking a better way of life. What they can say is Fahdi (not his real name)... which has been done to death, pardon the pun. That's why we only hear about really shocking news such as the boat that went into the rocks for example. And pictures as well since it happened outside the compound. There were journalists on that which is why it ended up all over the news. I think you will find that's what they are talking about regarding media restrictions as spelled out in the departments guidelines.

There was no need for the previous government to report the number of boats since the Libs have been giving a running commentary on the topic for years. Anyway, its Tony's turn now. Lets see how that works out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 15:29:45 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I agree on one thing.
There is nothing (that I can find) published on the internet about it.
But I actually remember Gillard stating this as fact and following that, the images that were on the front pages of our newspapers stopped.
I know you have already drawn your own conclusions, but I heard what I heard, from Gillard herself.
And she gave the reason as being it was a risk to national security.
In fact I had several conversations about it at the time as I couldn't understand why the media just seemed to lay down and take it, but it happened and I stand by that.
I know that no amount of me typing will convince you and that doesn't matter.
I heard what I heard and I saw the results.
Did you not question why the images stopped many months ago?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Once again you presume. I have not made my mind up at all as I have not examined both sides of the story.

By way of explanation, an anecdote: if you stand an engineer in front of a white house and ask what colour is the back of the house, they will respond, "I do not know I have not seen it". I am waiting to see the back of the house on this issue. THEN I will be in a position to draw a conclusion. I am not doubting your recollection, but I would like to see it for myself.

That I believe is evidence of an open mind.  :goodjob2:

I have been so tuned out on account of the political bs surrounding the issue for so long I don't recall the images stopping. I actually don't recall the images in the first place. A bit like this:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Once again you presume.

Presume?  :rofl: Yes and presumed right. To say you haven't made your mind up yet is a bit hard to accept given your response.

I think you made your position pretty clear with this:

This made me laugh: The media weren't allowed to report boat arrivals or publish photos of asylum seekers as it "risks national security" to do so, apparently, yet Labor did this which resulted in them being accused of double standards.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there (he said kindly).

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Once again you presume.

Presume?  :rofl: Yes and presumed right. To say you haven't made your mind up yet is a bit hard to accept given your response.

Dave, from what I can see, Keith was just quoting YOUR quote there...   :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I know you have already drawn your own conclusions, but I heard what I heard, from Gillard herself.

I heard and saw her say, "There will not be a carbon tax",  :Yeah:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Once again you presume.

As noted, these are your words, not mine. You are attacking your own argument here. ;) 

This is a media blackout: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/policy/asylum-boat-breaches-border-and-blackout/story-fn9hm1gu-1226724814899

In contrast the policy of the previous government was described as: Under Labor, media releases were issued every time an asylum boat arrived, usually within 24 hours of interception.

You are welcome to your perspective but I believe sincerely you really do have the wrong end of the stick on this one irrespective if someone once said "national security".  The primary issue is the departmental guideline around privacy, not national security and this is only for access to detainees. Papers stopped printing pictures because there was no news value in it unless a boat hit the rocks with disastrous consequences. Information about the numbers were freely available via press release and debated relentlessly in parliament. There was no media blackout and articles did appear from time to time, generally associated with some calamitous or otherwise newsworthy event and accompanied by a file photo of a boat.  News organisations had conditional access to detainees subject to maintaining privacy of detainees. It was also stated that detainees had access to phones and could make outbound calls without restriction. I vaguely recall news articles about the plight of detainees at Naurau and Villawood for example. A quick google search shows many such articles over time, some quite recently in fact.

So still no evidence anywhere of a media blackout declared by the previous government. This is not forming an opinion btw, just reporting my own research. Although you may have to admit, this line of reasoning is looking more compelling than the alternative.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Gentlemen, I feel that we need a change, someone with a "can do" attitude, someone who can Advance Australia. However, we need to seek outside the country for talent like this. Here is a possible candidate.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:43:42 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Once again you presume.

Dave, from what I can see, Keith was just quoting YOUR quote there...   :undecided:

This is what I was referring to. This bit.

This made me laugh.
I think you got hold of the wrong end of the stick there (he said kindly).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Once again you presume.

This made me laugh.

Ah yes. Sometimes I am incredibly amusing... :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Once again you presume.

This made me laugh.

That's almost believable, Dave...  :P  :lol:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
But nowhere near as amusing as Scott Morrison apparently:

A people smuggler jailed in Indonesia has ridiculed Scott Morrison's vow of silence about new asylum boat arrivals, saying the smuggling networks do not rely on Australian government press releases for their information.

The smuggler, Dawood Amiri, told Fairfax Media that the policy "won't change anything" from the syndicates' point of view.

"When the boat is being rescued and the passengers on board see the Australian authorities, they call the Hawaladar from their satellite phone. Then the smuggler gets the money," Amiri said.
Advertisement

A Hawaladar is a trusted third party, often based in Afghanistan or Pakistan, who holds the money in trust for passengers on boats. The money is only released to the people smuggler when the boat arrives safely.

"This new policy can work only if the Abbott minister buys all the satellite phones in Indonesia (like they want to buy the scrap boats)," Amiri said.

"That's a stupid policy. The politicians are wasting their time."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/people-smuggler-ridicules-scott-morrisons-silence-on-boat-arrivals-20130924-2ub2z.html#ixzz2flqGoYvw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal