i30 Owners Club

Noise from rear bearings

rattly · 17 · 9924

Offline rattly

• 1st Gear
I have an I 30 premium with full MS bodykit 18" alloys etc and I very pleased with it. Howver recently there seems to be noise in the rear sounds like rear wheel bearings my dealers says there nothing wrong but its a very annoying drone does any one else have an issue with a noisy rear?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No probs here mate, although I don't have the 2L like yours, if that could make any difference. Does the noise occur at all speeds?

Where in the UK are you?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine was noisy when I removed the parcel shelf.   Quite when replaced.

So could it be the body kit causing the noise as it may be echoing within the spaces.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Nah, same kit as Hemmi's and mine and we aint noticed owt.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rattly

• 1st Gear
Its there between 50-65 when it quietens out I have done 25K with no probs only started about 4 weeks ago I'm in Wales. My dealer keeps saying its the wide wheels even though it was fine origianally I have said to then that they supplied it with all the kit so they need to sort it.

Barrie

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK, you need to kick your dealers arse.

I have exactly the same kit and wheels and have no noise.  You have done more miles than me, so could I guess be a tyre problem when a certain wear level occurs, however they sell the car with those tyres on that option of wheel, if there is still lots of tread on the tyre then they are selling a part of the vehicle that is not fit for purpose for the lifetime of the part.

They will probably tell you that it then becomes a tyre manufacturer issue, you should have the tyre warranty paperwork in your Hyundai pack.  Since they/you cannot be sure if it is the tyres, I think it is between Hyundai and Kumho to investigate and find out.

Keep us informed as to progress, particularly cos it will take me about 3.5 years to reach the same mileage as you on the same tyres!!

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
shocks??
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
The other possibility is tyres. How old are they? Check for any sawtooth wear patterns on the edges. Many tyres, especially low profile large diameter ones, can make a noise you would swear was a bearing noise but it is due to the way the tread is interacting with the road. This usually happens when the tyre is reasonably old.

As you're driving down the road, swerve firmly from left to right (not at 100mph or in front of a school...) and see if the noise changes. If it stays the same, it probably isn't a bearing. The next thing to try would be if you know anyone else with an i30 or Elantra you could borrow their rear wheels (or their spare and yours) and go for a drive. If the car is still noisy with other wheels on the rear you have your answer. If the noise goes... well... you have your answer. I have had many "discussions" with customers complaining about bearing noise that have been resolved by a quick swap of wheels and a lap of the block.

A lot of people find it hard to accept, but quite often this is the problem, especially with modern sealed wheel bearings. Actual bearing failures are pretty rare nowadays...

Let us know the resolution!

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
No problem here, hope your dealer sorts this out.

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
I totally agrees here.... i had the same thing in mine... but it was the tyres...  if u have a set of winter tyres try em on see if its gone.....  i did det the same thing in my car...

cheers

The other possibility is tyres. How old are they? Check for any sawtooth wear patterns on the edges. Many tyres, especially low profile large diameter ones, can make a noise you would swear was a bearing noise but it is due to the way the tread is interacting with the road. This usually happens when the tyre is reasonably old.

As you're driving down the road, swerve firmly from left to right (not at 100mph or in front of a school...) and see if the noise changes. If it stays the same, it probably isn't a bearing. The next thing to try would be if you know anyone else with an i30 or Elantra you could borrow their rear wheels (or their spare and yours) and go for a drive. If the car is still noisy with other wheels on the rear you have your answer. If the noise goes... well... you have your answer. I have had many "discussions" with customers complaining about bearing noise that have been resolved by a quick swap of wheels and a lap of the block.

A lot of people find it hard to accept, but quite often this is the problem, especially with modern sealed wheel bearings. Actual bearing failures are pretty rare nowadays...

Let us know the resolution!

Pip
As you're driving down the road, swerve firmly from left to right (not at 100mph or in front of a school...) and see if the noise changes. If it stays the same, it probably isn't a bearing. The next thing to try would be...
From reading various posts from MRH130, I'm certain he is a good diagnostician and knows his stuff...  I would trust his advice to be sound.  :D :D

Don't cock up now cobber :rolleyes:  :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
From reading various posts from MRH130, I'm certain he is a good diagnostician and knows his stuff...  I would trust his advice to be sound.  :D :D
Don't cock up now cobber :rolleyes:  :-[

I Think Mike used to be a Sales Manager at a Hyundai dealership... so we're getting it from the "horse's mouth"... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

awww shucks guys...   :-[

I was Fixed Operations Manager (Service and Parts) so yes have messed around with a few Hyundais over the years...  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was Fixed Operations Manager (Service and Parts)

I had a cat that was "fixed" once.. don't think I'd want a job title like that... :lol:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

lol yeah I felt like your cat most of the time I worked in the car industry...  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

lol yeah I felt like your cat most of the time I worked in the car industry...  :wink:

Funny you should say that I only lasted a month in the car industry in the mid nineties (between real jobs)  :lol:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

yes it's one of those industries, I miss it in lots of ways but leaving it was the best thing I ever did... I have a smaller office now but I wouldn't go back to Dealerships for quids...  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal