i30 Owners Club

Any of our members still riding their pushy's?

Lakes · 420 · 84326

Offline kyle0968

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
this just reminded me that the last time I rode my pushy was last year.

hope to get back before winter comes  :snigger:
  • GD i30 active petrol

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
this just reminded me that the last time I rode my pushy was last year.

hope to get back before winter comes  :snigger:

Gee your keen!

if you ever get the opportunity , the Sydney Spring Cycle. fantastic & not a hard ride well organised  .

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yes still ride mine from time to time,each time I go out I have  20 K circuit I do,doesn't take that long,now the weather is fine I should be out on it daily.
Yes still ride mine from time to time,each time I go out I have  20 K circuit I do,doesn't take that long,now the weather is fine I should be out on it daily.

20K that's a good peddle Rick! and big hill's?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
With all this talk I may get out this thursday for a hour or so as the forecast is dry and sunny here.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good for you eye, what type riding do you mostly do ? like hard paved surface or dirt tracks? or both?
like myself i've been a city boy, always liked racers, now i'm living in the country everyone likes riding on dirt tracks off road ( looks like i'll have to fork out more $ on a mountain bike  :blubber: )
cheers hope you enjoy your ride eye

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Mainly cycle ways which can be a mixture of tarmac, concrete, gravel.

These surfaces do not lend themselves to racing tyres, narrow skinny tyres,  so the bike is what i would call a "normal" bike which can be used on all terrains.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mainly cycle ways which can be a mixture of tarmac, concrete, gravel.

These surfaces do not lend themselves to racing tyres, narrow skinny tyres,  so the bike is what i would call a "normal" bike which can be used on all terrains.

Thanks Eye, understand what you mean, i've always liked going as fast as i can , so liked the high gearing of a racer, but understand what you mean about the skinny tyres , just i take some care & have not had a spill. the places i had to go on monday with the group was very rugged surface & down some really big hill's these guys had mostly Giant with top shelf components so i was proud to go everywhere they did on a racer.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Put in search engine - wirral way - and look at/will see images of what i cycle down

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I just serviced my bicycle today.  It just needed a tweak on the front and rear derailleurs.  The front one is a right PITA!!  Now it runs super smooth in all gears (all 24 of them).  I might have to go for a hill climb tomorrow morning.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :hahaha:

That reminds me, a mate of mine when we were kids, put his front brakes in backwards. The shoe has a lug to hold the rubber inserts in place. He applied the brakes and they shot out like bullets, lucky he had a rear brake. Still makes me laugh to think about it.  :lol:

Check yours, Fatboy.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :eek:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I have front and rear disc brakes  :goodjob2:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That reminds me, a mate of mine when we were kids, put his front brakes in backwards. The shoe has a lug to hold the rubber inserts in place. He applied the brakes and they shot out like bullets, lucky he had a rear brake. Still makes me laugh to think about it.  :lol:

Phil , i can remember guy up road from me when i was a kid in Sydney. he never had brake's at all on his pushy & was big hill's in the area. he used to put his girlfriend side on on top tube just behind handle bar's and use his foot on front tyre for a brake. that's when Aussies were tough.
LOL
that would not be approved by stay safe these day's cheers.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I just serviced my bicycle today.  It just needed a tweak on the front and rear derailleurs.  The front one is a right PITA!!  Now it runs super smooth in all gears (all 24 of them).  I might have to go for a hill climb tomorrow morning.

I'll have to look into learning to service my pushy, need a stand to hold it, any idea's?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Turn it upside down....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Turn it upside down....

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

a little bit harder with racing bars though...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I'll have to look into learning to service my pushy, need a stand to hold it, any idea's?

Buy a stand. eBay might be an option.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yesterday pm I went to the first stage of the Herald-Sun tour.  It was a time-trial in Melbourne.  I just watched some of them near the start.  There's some power in those legs.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Inherited a very fine 27 gear racer from my Dad when he died 13 years ago. When he was ca 50 y/o (a few years before he died) he did a 360 km trip in one day with an average speed of 33 km/h so nothing wrong with the bike.

15-20 years ago I would do the occasional 50-100 km trip with him, and later on I would sometimes take the bike to work, 2x10 km. The last 6 years there have been very little wear & tear on the bike, but I really don't want to get rid of the bike.

The last years I've been running instead, doesn't take as long as riding the bike. Maybe one day I'll be back in the saddle...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Be careful Asterix, running can be really hard on joints (especially as we age). Riding is much safer, provided you don't get cleaned up on the road of course. Swimming is one of the best, but I guess, a bit cold over there for that. :eek:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Be careful Asterix, running can be really hard on joints (especially as we age). Riding is much safer, provided you don't get cleaned up on the road of course. Swimming is one of the best, but I guess, a bit cold over there for that. :eek:

Swimming in the sea this time of the year... :question: We are lucky if the water get to be 20-22 ºC in the summer.

Sorry, I'm no viking.  There's ice on the water outside... :cold:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was thinking of a geothermal heated pool actually.  :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
There's a swimming centre 10 km away. I could of course ride the bike there to warm up....  :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Phil , i can remember guy up road from me when i was a kid in Sydney. he never had brake's at all on his pushy & was big hill's in the area. he used to put his girlfriend side on on top tube just behind handle bar's and use his foot on front tyre for a brake. that's when Aussies were tough.
LOL
that would not be approved by stay safe these day's cheers.

I had one without brakes.

It had a fixed cog so you used the pedals to vary your speed.

When going down hill you took your feet off the pedals to gather speed.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Turn it upside down....

C'mon Daz... There were no bike stands about when I was a kid AND I had a racing bike with racing drop-bars..... The ONLY way to fix it was upside down ( or downside up for you antipodeans) lol!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Turn it upside down....

C'mon Daz... There were no bike stands about when I was a kid AND I had a racing bike with racing drop-bars..... The ONLY way to fix it was upside down ( or downside up for you antipodeans) lol!

My gear selectors are on top of the handle bars, so I wouldn't be able to change the gears if the bike was upside down.  What's the point of servicing the derailleur if you can't change the gears?  BTW, I am a convert to indexed gears too, with a click in each direction with the thumb or finger.  Works a treat.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Just roll your handlebars a bit.
Or buy a stand.... What I'm saying is a stand isn't essential but then neither are disc brakes...
I'll grant you that the derailleur gears on my old bike for both front and rear gearsets
 were on the down tube not the bars...

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Just roll your handlebars a bit.
Or buy a stand.... What I'm saying is a stand isn't essential but then neither are disc brakes...
I'll grant you that the derailleur gears on my old bike for both front and rear gearsets
 were on the down tube not the bars...

I have a flat bar, and the indexing goes out if you move the cable.  Fortunately I have a stand which I store the bikes on (two stack), that works well for a repair stand too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal