i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 - Bouncy Suspension normal?

Offline BunnyKillBot

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,

Just curious if this is just me or a fault with my car. I quite like the ride of my i30 however it does seem to be excessively bouncy. This was particularly noticeable (ironically stationary) on the eurotunnel between calais and dover. The car was bouncing side to side with the inertia of the train like a ship in a storm. Our boarding letter card hanging on the wing mirror was visibly oscillating, unlike any of the other cars in the carriage. I have spoken to the dealer garage and they couldn't care less as always. Is this normal?
  • i30

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
There's a couple of things you can check without resorting to stripping anything down is

Do a visual check, check your front suspension legs and rear shockers for oil leaks

and you can do a bounce test on all four corners, ie placing hands on top of a wing and pressing down on it a few times as hard as you can and then releasing it should bounce one and return to normal position, any more and it could be sign of a worn unit.

a bit of a crude way of doing it, but to check it correctly would require all four units removed from the vehicle.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@bunny...

Could you please update your vehicle details, as i30 doesn't give us much to work with.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It doesn't seem right to me, we have had 3 x i30's, a 2008 hatch, a 2010 CW and a 2014 Tourer. All three have erred on the firm side, suspension wise, feeling quite large and very stable ( not bouncy at all) :cool:

Disclaimer:  Not sure about the Wagons but the hatch did have some suspension modifications to suit Australian conditions (according to the advertising at the time) :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Yeah:

You only do 10k then they're gone, though.  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:Yeah:

You only do 10k then they're gone, though.  :eek:
Did 65k in the first hatch I think, and 27k in the CW.. ;-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal