i30 Owners Club

The BIG DRL discussion..

Dazzler · 175 · 46421

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Any safety feature installed on a car is a matter of risk management.  We can make a car totally safe, that would not kill or injure anybody, but it wouldn't go anywhere.  If there is little cost (monetary, space or weight) but big gain, it will be utilised.  If the costs outweigh the benefits, then it won't be utilised.  To me, this is where I see the benefits of DRLs, they are cheap to install (weight and space wise), and may give a safety benefit.

Just as an aside, I did a quick trip up the highway today.  Now where I am at the moment is so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days, and you will still see him!!  I noticed a few cars on the road into Broome (one every km or so).  Because of the distances that you could see the car, and light level at the time, I couldn't tell whether the car had DRLs or not UNTIL it got closer (about three out of ten did have them).  So in that situation, DRLs are useless.  I saw the car BEFORE I saw the lights.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think it's been pretty well agreed that these lights are intended for low light and marginal conditions. Seeing DRL's from 500 metres away is not going to assist in avoiding unwanted contact, but from 100 metres could be  another thing entirely.

One reason I have them on my car is for summer conditions. Heat shimmer and a grey roof can make my vehicle invisible on a hot summer day. I hope my DRL's are assisting people to see my car.

Given that it's a VP, grey and the paint is showing it's age, I don't use DRL's as a "Look at me, device."
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I think it's been pretty well agreed that these lights are intended for low light and marginal conditions.

A quick review of all of the pro-DRL posts indicate that the majority of people say they benefit ALL OF THE TIME.   :head_butt:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think where the DRL's become most useful is with pedestrians, a lot of people just take a quick glance before crossing roads and with DRL's on you see those cars more easily, especially with kids walking out behind other vehicles parked on the side of roads at schools...when they/you see lights on that says straight off "moving car"

Personally I don't need some stupid government review wasting taxpayer dollars to prove to some sceptic the obvious benefits of what visual advantages can be had with DRL's, I've experienced and seen the benefits myself :)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
We need to have pedestrians with registration plates on them!!  They always step out in front of cars without giving way, and crossing against red lights.  If they had registration plates then we would be able to identify them and report them to the police.

Oh hang on, I should substitute "cyclist" for "pedestrian".   :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think it's been pretty well agreed that these lights are intended for low light and marginal conditions.

A quick review of all of the pro-DRL posts indicate that the majority of people say they benefit ALL OF THE TIME.   :head_butt:

:lol:

I would suggest to you that "all of the time" means that during a trip, there are possibly low light scenarios where they are particularly useful, however, as your example demonstrates, there are times when they are not particularly effective, due to high glare, shimmer  and ambient light. If you want to split hairs and take the statement literally, well.  :headbang: ;)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I would take issue with you being worried about potential, if we don't examine and push potential we would still be driving Model T's.  Good or bad thing?

When people say there is "proof" of daylight running lights making driving safer and research shows this so called proof is showing nothing but having the "potential" to make roads safer, is it then actual proof???  :undecided:
It's a bit like me buying a ticket for Lotto...I have the potential to be a millionaire but it doesn't mean it's gonna happen though...  :lol:

>which is where the "surely if it saves one person it is worth doing" comes from.

This concerns me...why are people so happy to just accept something blindly because it may save one person??
What if, upon examination of the evidence, there are concerns that daylight running lights may put other road users at a higher risk???
Do we just ignore these concerns??? It would seem so going by some of the responses on here....  :undecided:

@Rusty

The points you make about the same body using evidence which suits in order to promote a standpoint is well made, however you should recognise that the same can be said in the opposite direction, the various studies trying to prove the alternative (which you have pointed to yourself) are also written with an agenda, this is why discussion takes place, the very idea you are against which is that we all accept what we are being told without question also applies to the alternative which you are promoting, why should we blindly accept that?

You don't have to accept it, but actually reading it is a start...You can then make a more informed decision. It would seem though that many will not even consider doing that as, because they can see drl's out on the road they then aren't willing to consider the possibility of any downsides....

Personally I don't need some stupid government review wasting taxpayer dollars to prove to some sceptic the obvious benefits of what visual advantages can be had with DRL's, I've experienced and seen the benefits myself :)

If things were as clear-cut as you believe, then surely there wouldn't need to be one....and there wouldn't be these other concerns regarding other road users... :head_butt:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I would take issue with you being worried about potential, if we don't examine and push potential we would still be driving Model T's.  Good or bad thing?

When people say there is "proof" of daylight running lights making driving safer and research shows this so called proof is showing nothing but having the "potential" to make roads safer, is it then actual proof???  :undecided:
It's a bit like me buying a ticket for Lotto...I have the potential to be a millionaire but it doesn't mean it's gonna happen though...  :lol:

>which is where the "surely if it saves one person it is worth doing" comes from.

This concerns me...why are people so happy to just accept something blindly because it may save one person??
What if, upon examination of the evidence, there are concerns that daylight running lights may put other road users at a higher risk???
Do we just ignore these concerns??? It would seem so going by some of the responses on here....  :undecided:

@Rusty

The points you make about the same body using evidence which suits in order to promote a standpoint is well made, however you should recognise that the same can be said in the opposite direction, the various studies trying to prove the alternative (which you have pointed to yourself) are also written with an agenda, this is why discussion takes place, the very idea you are against which is that we all accept what we are being told without question also applies to the alternative which you are promoting, why should we blindly accept that?

You don't have to accept it, but actually reading it is a start...You can then make a more informed decision. It would seem though that many will not even consider doing that as, because they can see drl's out on the road they then aren't willing to consider the possibility of any downsides....

If things were as clear-cut as you believe, then surely there wouldn't need to be one....and there wouldn't be these other concerns regarding other road users... :head_butt:

1. If you win will you then shut up ?

2. If something MAY save someones life it is a good thing. Imagine it was yours.......

3. You have been misinformed, believe me. Ask just about anyone on the forum

4. What concerns ?

And will you now please give it a rest? This is just turning into a slogging match. You hate them, everybody else loves them or couldn't be bothered. There are no winners. I'm surprised so many members (myself included) have held out this long.

Either that or you really enjoy winding people up  :crazy1:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My opinion is as valid as any one elses. Dave...  :rolleyes:
At the end of the day, if you don't like what I type, don't bother reading it...it's as simple as that.  :fum:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
At the end of the day, if you don't like what I type, don't bother reading it...it's as simple as that.  :fum:
We get it Rusty.
It's as valid as anyone else's.
We get it. You've told us 53 times.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Without going back and reading everything that has been written and posted, I'd just like to say that I've personally never used a Dog Retractable Lead, but I do believe they are very good as a behaviour modifier for some dogs.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Without going back and reading everything that has been written and posted, I'd just like to say that I've personally never used a Dog Retractable Lead, but I do believe they are very good as a behaviour modifier for some dogs.  :neutral:

But I don't want to modify your behaviour, Doggie 1!  I liked how you pointed out the sights to me as we sipped our soy lattes and solved the problems of the world, which I believe was that the ladies should wear less clothes.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

But I don't want to modify your behaviour, Doggie 1!  I liked how you pointed out the sights to me as we sipped our soy lattes and solved the problems of the world, which I believe was that the ladies should wear less clothes.

I really think you're confusing me with someone else.    :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Don't make me modify your behaviour!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Don't make me modify your behaviour!!

:mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Balls out, m8.... I never implied that your opinions lack validity (there are always Yays and Nays in any discussion), or that i haven't enjoyed the manner in which you have fought the concensus tooth and nail.

We get it Rusty.

:whsaid: I rest my case.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Balls out, m8.... I never implied that your opinions lack validity (there are always Yays and Nays in any discussion), or that i haven't enjoyed the manner in which you have fought the concensus tooth and nail.

It was the tone of your reply, Dave.... :head_butt:

We get it Rusty.

That was just Trevor's personal issues with me coming out, he can't help himself, please don't encouage him...   :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

We get it Rusty.

That was just Trevor's personal issues with me coming out, he can't help himself, please don't encouage him...   :crazy1:
And you still can't see it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

I get it. It's one reason why i actually don't like flat text..... It's sometimes a fine line we wander..... I'm no Chaucer, Keats or Churchill, just a guy from Birmingham (and if that's not the best excuse, i don't know what is)  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

We get it Rusty.

And you still can't see it.

Don't worry, Trev...I see things fine....

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

You know, Jamie...totally agree with you there , when Doggie was showing Daz and myself the same sights.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You know, Jamie...totally agree with you there , when Doggie was showing Daz and myself the same sights.....

:lol:
Gee thanks.
But trust me, the sights in Rockingham are definitely NOT the same as the sights in Perth.   :snigger:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal