i30 Owners Club

What *don't* you like about your i30?

Nev75 · 731 · 180845

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
There's so much to like about our i30s that it seems we don't talk that much about what we dislike about them.

I'm curious about what you would like to have changed about it if you could? Obviously a lot of this will be personal opinion.

Here's some things that I have noticed:

- car stereo sound quality is underwhelming (SLX). Hopefully a speaker change would fix this, but I think Hyundai could have done a bit better with the factory speakers.
- space between each 10km interval on the speedo is too close IMO. Spread it out a bit and show 5km intervals too if possible.

As you can see it's a long and critical list for me (sarcasm) ;)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the only thing i dont like about the 2i30s we own,the wait before we picked them up. :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
the only thing i dont like about the 2i30s we own,the wait before we picked them up. :lol:

LOL yeah that seems to be the most common complaint :)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Only thing I've found so far that I don't like, is having to let the Mrs drive it.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
All i can think of is that the drivers seat can go back another notch, and that the rear passenger windows seem to fog up very easily.

Oh, and the fact that the early CRDi models couldnt get cruise control! (grumbles :( )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
and that the rear passenger windows seem to fog up very easily.

Sounds like you have more fun in the back of yours than I do in mine... :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia

Probably the same reason why he would like the drivers seat to go back a bit further  :D

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
Why do I have a feeling this thread will die due to lack of comments :)

Goes to show the level of satisfaction with the i30!

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
One thing I'm noticing about mine is that the rear window doesn't afford me the great expanse of vision I had in my previous vehicle. To me it feels as though it gets cut off at the top - however, this could just be due to the fact I'm driving around an area where the roads are quite frequently disturbed by hills and other mountanous features.

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My only issue is how easy the MS 18" alloys are to scrape, the tyres are really low profile and I am afraid both Kim and I have managed a couple of scratches on the wheels. :-[ :'(

I have a contact though and will get them blasted and powdercoated once funding allows. :)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
i only have one real issue, and that is how the i30 doesn't have a shock sensor/glass break sensor...seems like a necessity esp for a new car...prob going to have to retrofit one soon...

also i think the stock slx speakers are a little underwhelming like nev75 said but other than that..lovin' my i3o  :razz:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria

Probably the same reason why he would like the drivers seat to go back a bit further  :D

Um, nothing to see here, move along  :lol:

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
I still have rattles in my car, now it has started from the rear view mirror, I have yet to complain.
If the drivers seat could go a little lower it would be nice... :P  :)

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
yep.. i've got the same rattle from the rear view mirror. buzzes along when you hit the right frequency, which happens far too often. getting the glove box replaced, so hopefully that will fix that, but now i have the entire dashboard vibrating when revving between 2500 and 3000 rpm (CRDI engine). drivers door rattle a bit, so too does the steering column. when i went to the dealer to see what could be done, they told me that rattles are not covered beyond 1000km (which i racked up in my first two days of ownership).. he took it for a 2 minute drive, told me they would fix the glovebox but that's it. not so stoked on that..

otherwise, it is the best new car we have owned. it's a hard one.. they get everything soooo right, but the interior rattles and buzzes like mad whenever you dare to drive it. frustrating.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
otherwise, it is the best new car we have owned. it's a hard one.. they get everything soooo right, but the interior rattles and buzzes like mad whenever you dare to drive it. frustrating.

We might have to do some brainstorming (or comparing notes) about this issue. I've only got the one buzzing noise near my glovebox which hopefully I'll get a chance to search for soon.. but if most don't have these other rattles they must be easily fixable one would think...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline karhung

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Caroline Springs
Having to put the clutch in to start the car!!!! I can start to think how s#%t thats going to be in summer!!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Having to put the clutch in to start the car!!!!

That's something I've always done. Relieves the stress on the starter motor so I believe. Anyway, it's not mandatory on my UK model - I can start the beast without depressing the clutch. Naa naa
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline murrayhewitt

• 2nd Gear
We might have to do some brainstorming (or comparing notes) about this issue. I've only got the one buzzing noise near my glovebox which hopefully I'll get a chance to search for soon.. but if most don't have these other rattles they must be easily fixable one would think...

dash removal and re-installation par moi is on the cards sometime in the future.. need to find a whole day free to be able to do it. one thing i have figured out is that all the noises bar the drivers door noise are far less noticeable when it is warmer. temporary fix has been to drive around with a warmer than normal car. kinda nice actually!

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

• White I30 CW SX CRDI with Cruise
What I thought was a vibration noise in my glovebox, seemed to move to the mirror,,, then the dash... until my son pointed out to me that it was my sunglasses rattling in the overhead holder.

Of course I tried to make out that I knew that...

My other little gripes are mentioned in another section... under Suggested Improvements Tweeks.

Terry H.

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Currently I have two rattles.
One on the passenger side door (pillar) which I had mentioned before here as well as to the dealer. I mentioned it 3 times to the dealer.
The first time they said they will have to ask Hyundai Australia and get a feedback from them and as usual nothing happened.
So the next time I took the car in they said the fault was in the door trim so they replaced that. Well the rattle still rattles.
Now, what they basically said was that it is meant to RATTLE. 

This is what they said with a few typos and i quote

" Road tested with forman at all different speeds and road serfaces could only hear a small intermitant rattel somewhere around the LHF seat belt area but couldn't pin point it. Suspect this is normal characteristics of vehicle trim and seat belt assembly."

So m going to ask them look at it again and again until they change that part. I think they don't want to change the pillar bits cause it has airbags. How much harder does it make?
Cause when I took the mechanic for a drive the first time I complained, he said " and it has airbags", in a very ' i dun wanna touch that voice', if you know what I mean.

Offline magicRob

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Continental Silver i30 SR

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I don't like the fly by wire throttle...

I have to admit, the feedback isn't what you'd expect. Hell, My previous car was a MG/ZR with low-sprung suspension. I felt every single cigarette butt I drove over, and the steering made the car feel like it was on rails.

However, rack-rattling* aside, I like the light feel of the electronic FBW system.

* I'm preparing to have the flexible steering coupling replaced at the next service (see Tech Data for details of this mod/fix)

Offline magicRob

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Continental Silver i30 SR
The throttle seems disconnected from the peddle, ie lag...

Offline Somerset Bob

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Weston Super Mare

• My i30 Premium Auto, new in Sept 2007
    • Somerset Bob's Place
I find my i30 1.6 Premium auto (petrol version) is very susceptible to road surface noise here in the UK. And the suspension seems rather 'hard'.

I've assumed the noise is due to the low profile tyres (never had a car with those before), perhaps combined with the hard suspension, and possibly a lack of adequate sound-damping in the interior.

Then again, road surface dressings make a huge difference. Stretches of motorway that have recently been resurfaced with that lovely smooth Tarmac they're using these days are whisper-quiet, while older roads are really quite noisy by comparison.

My solution is to turn the radio up!

I've never asked at the garage, but: is the suspension adjustable, to make for a softer ride?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

I have to admit, the feedback isn't what you'd expect. Hell, My previous car was a MG/ZR with low-sprung suspension. I felt every single cigarette butt I drove over, and the steering made the car feel like it was on rails.

That seems dependent on the wheels, certainly feels very pointy and firm on the 18" wheels, however the flip side is that you feel every bloody pot hole through your back.

I don't think the suspension can be adjusted, I guess the Premium Auto which Somerset Bob refers to has the 17" wheels and suspect that it is firmer than the versions with 16 and 15" due to the tyre profiles.  Road noise is also a factor of the Korean tyres, I am sure that we have threads on here about the more expensive tyres being quieter?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm preparing to have the flexible steering coupling replaced at the next service (see Tech Data for details of this mod/fix)

Warranty job?

Did they indicate if this was a common fault?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm preparing to have the flexible steering coupling replaced at the next service (see Tech Data for details of this mod/fix)

Warranty job?

Did they indicate if this was a common fault?

They knew nothing of it, until I told them to check the service bulletins. I'm down there tomorrow to get my touchup sticks so I'll be taking the printed TSB with me

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

They knew nothing of it, until I told them to check the service bulletins. I'm down there tomorrow to get my touchup sticks so I'll be taking the printed TSB with me

You could suggest to them that you become a "consultant" providing that little extra "expert" knowledge.

1st payment being they provide the stick to you FOC.

I know it's only £5 but every little helps.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal