Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

Help - Where is the horn???

you know i did wonder when i first got my car. i pushed the wheel and nothing happened at all. it seems i was pushing too high  :rolleyes:
i still stuff it up though and get a whimpery noise as i don't push in the right spot

(i know this isn't what you were saying but just reminded me)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my last car and three before it had the horn on the indicator stalk,i still go for the stalk and not the steering wheel :-[ :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip

Help - Where is the horn???

you know i did wonder when i first got my car. i pushed the wheel and nothing happened at all. it seems i was pushing too high  :rolleyes:
i still stuff it up though and get a whimpery noise as i don't push in the right spot

(i know this isn't what you were saying but just reminded me)

I agree, it's near to a design fault: The first few times I needed to honk the horn nothing ever happened!

So I practiced... yes I think I can find the spot... and the next few times... still nothing.

I was never much of a honker... but by default I'm not at all now.  The times you do need to honk you aften also need to steer away from trouble.  You only get one attempt to tap the horn before diverting attention to the evasion.

My initial push on the horn has remained unproductive.  I've nearly given up trying to use the horn.

I know it has one because I can blow it when there is no emergency but in the heat of evasion it has never yet sounded once.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The horn used to be under my right thumb on my old car. It was OK most of the time as I still cross up rather than lift my hands of the wheel. I am going to put a tiny red sticker on the wheel so I can better see the spot.

I also note the horn circuit has a 15A fuse and existing relay. That should be sufficient to run a pair of Stebel Magnum's, so that's what I'll do, but this is a project for when it's warmer.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
so i have another major blind spot. the back left rear quarter. well its always been there obviously but its very rare to park in 45 degree parking bays that sit on a one way street. so when you reverse out, down one side of you is another parked car, that is by the nature of the angle longer than your car. so can't see out the back side window, and can't see out the rear back quarter of the car because there's it's blocked in!. so lets reverse very slowly and hope noone is right behind you at the time.
anyway.....

I was never much of a honker... but by default I'm not at all now. 

pretty much the same here. never was much of one to begin with either.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Get yourself a wireless reversing camera setup as a late Christmas present  (about A$200 would get you a good one if you shop around)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cluck2

• 1st Gear
Done 20K - mostly good - have always had creak in driver side dash and rattle in glovebox - dealer never has time to fix them - always next time.  Middle air vents don't seem well located - can't get a flow to driver as one doesn't quite reach, and the other hits my hand on the wheel.  Fuel economy is not as good as I expected - about 6l/100km for diesel - on steady trips.  Otherwise solid and comfortable...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Get yourself a wireless reversing camera setup as a late Christmas present  (about A$200 would get you a good one if you shop around)

meh. i'm trying for a GPS first. maybe next xmas  :lol:

have always had creak in driver side dash.... Middle air vents don't seem well located - can't get a flow to driver as one doesn't quite reach, and the other hits my hand on the wheel.  Fuel economy is not as good as I expected

welcome!
and creak - tick. middle vents - tick. economy - tick. i could have written that post  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Done 20K - mostly good - have always had creak in driver side dash and rattle in glovebox - dealer never has time to fix them - always next time.  Middle air vents don't seem well located - can't get a flow to driver as one doesn't quite reach, and the other hits my hand on the wheel.  Fuel economy is not as good as I expected - about 6l/100km for diesel - on steady trips.  Otherwise solid and comfortable...

Hi Cluck2 and welcome to the club..

I find the vents ok  :cool: As for the economy are you talking a manual diesel or an auto?  I average around 5.4 to 5.5 which is high compared to many others who live in flatter places.. If it's a manual either there is something not quite right or you need to change down earlier (Unless you are doing mainly urban driving?)

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
The only thing i dont like is i cant drive it 24/7 lol

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting about the "creak" in the dash.
Just the other day I noticed a creak in the LHF of my car, but couldn't isolate it to the dash area or suspension.
A work in progress.
Trouble is I tend to forget about it when the radio/ sound system is playing. (Coz I can't hear it then :rolleyes:)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

mvasseur
I wish the 2.0 litre gas (euh... petrol for the rest of you  :D) had a 6th gear, or that the gears were spaced a little wider.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I had a dislike for the way the hatch closes on my car.
I'm 6'2" tall but when it's open I can't reach over the lip to the recess to pull it closed.
had to grap the painted section just above the lip.
I just noticed there are 2 (THAT'S TWO :-[) nice big recessed grips on the INSIDE of the hatch, for pulling it down. Then you can easily reach the outside recess and it closes easily.
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :eek: :mrgreen: :rolleyes:

Pip
Ha, that gave me a smile. :D

What I do is apply just enough impetus to the lid from one of those grabbers and the hatch closes all by itself. Hardly ever need to actually touch the paint which will scratch it, given time.

It's the best designed hatch lid I've seen so far.   Beautifully weighed/counter-balanced and with a light catch so that it closes so easily; Opens high enough to not bang my head when loading stuff; not so high I can't reach it to close; quite upright so I can get more stuff under it; quite upright so that it doesn't let in so much heat; hinges far enough forward so that it doesn't foul the wall behind (too much) when opening and closing, like some wagons/estates. I'll stop now. :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My hatch wouldn't shut properly every time when I first got it. A quarter turn in on the bump stops fixed it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

o/k I've found something I don't like... The indicators are too quiet.. I often have to visually check the dash to see I have put them on.. Plus the wife sometimes has a shot at me for not indicating (when I have) :mad:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Splitting hairs now Dazz :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really like the quiet indicators, yet another "indication" that we are driving a classy well built motor IMO.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
o/k I've found something I don't like... The indicators are too quiet.. I often have to visually check the dash to see I have put them on.. Plus the wife sometimes has a shot at me for not indicating (when I have) :mad:
That's interesting. I thought they were louder than my Impreza.
But I don't think it's a problem because my hearing is suspect and I can hear them more clearly than in the Scooby.
Even my wife made the same comment.
Not complaining and it's not an intrusive noise IMO.
Ha, that gave me a smile. :D

What I do is apply just enough impetus to the lid from one of those grabbers and the hatch closes all by itself. Hardly ever need to actually touch the paint which will scratch it, given time.

Just tried that. Took a couple of goes to get the pull just right but, yep. All good. The tailgate doesn't take much to close and latch. i had noticed that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Splitting hairs now Dazz :lol: :lol: :lol:

there you go .. being rude again.. :lol: :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
It's the best designed hatch lid I've seen so far.   Beautifully weighed/counter-balanced and with a light catch so that it closes so easily; Opens high enough to not bang my head when loading stuff; not so high I can't reach it to close;

i like the hatch but i have to say; its too high to reach easily to close and too heavy to close in one motion!  :lol:

o/k I've found something I don't like... The indicators are too quiet..

strange, i think mine are decently loud. and i usually have music going as well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe my clicker is faulty? I do have a Feb 08 build maybe they made it louder later...? I am a bit deaf but you can hardly hear mine... :exclaim:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
I've only had the I30cw diesel for a couple of days but I have a couple of observations.  Firstly the suspension seems to thump over speed bumps, even when driving quite slowly.  I'm not optimistic on how it will go on rough dirt roads. (aussie roads)
Secondly, the steering feels abnormally light, particularly at low speeds.
I've come out of driving company BMW's (all shapes & sizes) for 25 yrs so maybe my expectations are unrealistic.
Otherwise, at this early stage, everything else is pretty much as expected. (ie. good)
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My suspension seems really good over speed bumps.

If you are used to hydraulic power steering it will feel light a low speeds to start with. In a few week it will feel normal. On our electronic version It firms up with speed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome to the Club BC .. As Lorian says the Electronic (Or electric) power steering is an aquired taste but I like it now and the suspension is a bit noisy over obstacles but I like the way the i30 rides..

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
I don't like the way I have to park it outside the office and do that work stuff until it's time to drive it again. :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

It's designed to be light at low speeds to aid manoeuvring.

But have you noticed it firms up at higher speeds?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Yes, the steering certainly becomes heavier when the speed increases.  It is the 2nd gear corner/roundabout type speeds that I particularly noticed the lightness.   
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't like the way I have to park it outside the office and do that work stuff until it's time to drive it again. :lol:

No me either.. that's why I now only work a maximum of 20 hours a week... :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

It's designed to be light at low speeds to aid manoeuvring.

But have you noticed it firms up at higher speeds?
  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal