What *don't* you like about your i30?

Nev75 · 731 · 180850

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Am I the only one who has trouble with the doors?? ... but when you're sat you can't reach the grip to pull the door shut ...

By the time I'm seated I've already half-closed the door, as I grab the grip as I'm getting in. Anyone else do this? I thought it was the natural thing to do
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
Am I the only one who has trouble with the doors?? ... but when you're sat you can't reach the grip to pull the door shut ...

By the time I'm seated I've already half-closed the door, as I grab the grip as I'm getting in. Anyone else do this? I thought it was the natural thing to do
+1

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I am with Shambles here and I am only 5'6" so have always had to close the door as I get in :D

One fluid movement does the job.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Me as well. Never given it a thought   :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I am with Shambles here and I am only 5'6" ...

Ditto

PMSL :lol:

Oh, hang on... :P

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Same here, I sometimes close on my left leg because I'm too eager to get in and drive :lol: haha

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
If I almost closed the door on my left leg I would be struggling to find the steering wheel :lol: :lol:

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I am with Shambles here and I am only 5'6" so have always had to close the door as I get in :D

Hey.. you're as tall as me..  :P

I also just close the door as I get in.
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline Weston Coyney

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
OK,OK, I'll practice. But I'm sending you the chiropractor's bill if it all goes horribly wrong!

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

I have to admit I don't know what the "shield visor thingies" are but I'm 100% with you on the slope of the A pillar causing a blind spot.

the windshields...? the things that go over the windows along the outer edge, so you can open window a bit and not get blown away. they're a thick perspex type material and they start quite low about the same level as the side mirror, so its another level of visibility hindrance in that region.

Am I the only one who has trouble with the doors?? Sure, they do open nice and wide for you to get in -- but when you're sat you can't reach the grip to pull the door shut without risking falling out! I'm 6ft 2in with a pretty long reach so I don't know how more petite folks manage.

honestly i don't open the door that wide too often being petite. but if i have a couple of bags to grab from the front seat its a bit difficult to get out of the front seat i have found. i can't seem to just swing out like i did with my old car. there's not much leverage and with the door open half way its a bit cumbersome.
oh and for the record, yes close the door while getting in, i'm just on different tangent thinking about getting out of the car.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Pip
Quote from: snowcherry link=topic=3624.msg45561#msg45561
...the windshields...? the things that go over the windows along the outer edge, so you can open window a bit and not get blown away. they're a thick perspex type material and they start quite low about the same level as the side mirror, so its another level of visibility hindrance in that region.

Ah right, those thingies.  Queenslander.  I guess you guys like to open car windows like you do your houses.  Could never understand why open windows and ceiling fans substituted for air-conditioning in Queensland.  Actually I do (or at least it's been explained to me).  :lol:

My windows are never opened while driving.

Offline caecilius

• 2nd Gear
Having had it a month now, only two things irritate.

Road noise from those Korean tyres!

No 'You've your lights on you drongo!' bleep when you open the door having done the aforesaid.

BEFORE getting it - the awful wait :'(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

No 'You've your lights on you drongo!' bleep when you open the door having done the aforesaid.

Would agree with the first (although some other current models -eg Mitsubishi Lancer are worse )

In Aus lights just go off when you remove the key and open the door... (nice feature)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Not here it doesn't. Must be a later "addition" to the "feature list", especially to annoy Essex owners :P

Mine does the same as Dazz'

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My Hankooks are very quite - No complaints

Lights - Remove key and as I open the drivers door othe lights switch off.
Lights relight only when the key is inserted in ignition.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline caecilius

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for not saying 'Read the handbook you p*****r' Shambles  :-[

Have just found out that mine DOES have this feature so bleep not needed!

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Having had it a month now, only two things irritate.

BEFORE getting it - the awful wait :'(

Agree on the tyres  :lol:

No bleeping bleep on mine, the lights just turn off  8)

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
That's something that I don't like or hate it, but could be better if they had done a research before sending i30 to Brazil.

Tyre 225/45 17" is something that makes the car shakes a lot here, our streets are not the best, they should have sent a 205/55 16" and we would have more comfort.

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I hate the interior plastics, of the whole car, just look at it the wrong way & it scratches!
Other than that it's a top car!! The missus loves it! happy wife, happy life!
Regards Bloodnut :evil:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Re: Headrests comments a couple of pages back.
This is a problem for my wife, too.
I've been through the adjustment process.
The headrests could/ should go back another notch.
To get comfortable my wife has to recline the seat another notch to what she is comfortable with. She prefers to sit fairly upright but when you do that the headrest is pushing your head forward. We've overcome it by lowering the headrest below where it should really be for most effectiveness but at least she's comfortable. It would still work but is sited lower down on her skull than it really should be.
It doesn't worry me if I'm passenger because I almost always fall asleep anyway.  8)

Tyres are a bit noisy but I'll put up with them until they're worn out and buy something better.

I'm 6'2" and like most on here, pull the door towards me as I sit down, so no problem with the doors. Actually, the width of the opening is a plus for access.

Not too much to complain about, really.
Bloody nice little car.
I have quite few mates on a surfing forum who drive Subarus like I did and they are following my reports with interest.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Wendel
I love driving my I30

But as it turns dark early now in Germany I found that the interior lighting is way to bright. :idea:

Especially the Radio display is to glare on dark & rainy nights.

I use the DARK button a lot, but I do not like the display to turn on again on every push of a button. :eek: :eek:
I would prefer a off-on function for the display.

Wendel

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Petrol economy for me, it's not as good as what's quoted on Hyundai's website.

Most of my driving is on country roads and on my regular 15 mile trip I come across 6 sets of traffic lights, where I end up having to stop for a short while about 50% of the time.  My onboard computer says I'm averaging 39 mpg.  My i30 has a 1.4 petrol engine.

I'm hoping this will improve when I get some more miles on the clock?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Combined consumption for your car is quoted at 46 on the UK website, a 15 mile trip with traffic lights is not urban but I would not call it extra urban either, 39 probably aint bad, and remember the readout is not that accurate.

Having said that it will improve a little as she beds in :cool:

angoraki
I agree with previous comments about road noise.  One of the first things I noticed, but hopefully when they bed in a bit might be quieter. 
The one thing I miss on the I30 from my previous Octavia is the double trip computer - position 1 was for a journey with stops of up to 2 hours and would then reset.  Position 2 was accumulative, and had to be manually reset.  I found trip time most useful.
However, there are so many other goodies on the car that make it such a pleasure to drive, so won't be going back to the Octy!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The horn has to go, sounds like it belongs to an i10.

I'll check the existing fuse/relay ratings and I guess upgrade to whatever is the loudest lowest sounding horn without having to fit new wiring.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The horn has to go, sounds like it belongs to an i10.

Help - Where is the horn???

The bell on my old push bike was louder   :lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't say I've ever needed to use my horn, so to speak...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Can't say I've ever needed to use my horn, so to speak...

I live in a county where people only pull out of junctions only when they can see something coming. Horn and brakes very important. Brakes are great  :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal