i30 Owners Club

No Dash Lights

ryangus · 10 · 5214

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Went to buy the wife's 2007 diesel SLX today.  After all the paper signing and money changing hands was done, she hopped in to drive it home.  Luckily it was dark, other wise we may not have noticed that the dash lights weren't working!

When turning the key to on, the panel turns on showing the odometer etc.  When turning the headlights on, the panel turns off, and no dash-lights appear.  I checked the fuse, and it seemed fine.  Anyone come across this issue?

Ultimately, I got my money back and left it there.  I can't understand how an RACQ master check and a safety certificate inspection both failed to identify this?
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's what I call a real anticlimax.  :fum: So much for the peace of mind checks.  :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Perhaps it is for the best, being that the clutch needed replacing!  :Pout: :spitty:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Perhaps it is for the best, being that the clutch needed replacing!  :Pout: :spitty:
Maybe.  I don't think the clutch needs replacing right away, but I'd be interested to see how many kms you would typically expect to get out of one.  I don't think it's been intentionally abused, probably owned by someone who leaves their foot rest on it whilst driving.

Still debating whether I should walk away from it.  :undecided:
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I had this problem with my 2011 FD last week, it turned out to be the right side rear tail light fuse that took out my dash illumination as well as my glovebox light
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I had this problem with my 2011 FD last week, it turned out to be the right side rear tail light fuse that took out my dash illumination as well as my glovebox light
Interesting - I checked what I believed to be the fuse for the instrument cluster and it was fine.  Maybe I should tell the owner to check this out also.
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Could it be that the instrument lights were turned down?  I like my lights dim during night driving, and turned the brightness all the way down.  During daylight (i.e. lights not on) the instrument cluster was lit up very well, when I turned on the headlights, the instruments went very dim (almost unreadable during daylight).

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Could it be that the instrument lights were turned down?  I like my lights dim during night driving, and turned the brightness all the way down.  During daylight (i.e. lights not on) the instrument cluster was lit up very well, when I turned on the headlights, the instruments went very dim (almost unreadable during daylight).
Nah, tried that.
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Interesting - I checked what I believed to be the fuse for the instrument cluster and it was fine.  Maybe I should tell the owner to check this out also.
The fuse for the cluster seems to control the actual idiot lights and dials, but not the lighting behind it. Our local Hyundai fundi Cruiserfied pointed me in the right direction and lo and behold, the one tail light fuse was the culprit. Good luck in finding your fault :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
So it turns out when the mechanic fixed the brake light switch yesterday, he forgot to reconnect the dash light circuit  :head_butt:

Hopefully it will all be fine when I pick it up tonight!  :rolleyes:
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal