i30 Owners Club

Burned smell is normal on 2012 i30?

Joker · 4 · 2835

Offline Joker

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
Hi guys,

I have my i30 1.6CRDI since last Tuesday, and like 2 days ago when I was driving I had the air on
and I got a burned smell inside the car and I tough it was from outside, today I made some Km's
on the highway and when I went to my destination was all good, when I returned home I got out of the car
and it was one very big burned smell coming from the car, I got worried with this if course,
can this be any problem with the car or maybe this be a normal thing on Hyundai since the car is knew?
I'm worried because I never got a smell like this in any new car, and since the car is new I start to freak out.
I hope to ear from you guys,

Thanks.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
New cars take time to settle into normal temperatures, exhaust pipes etc. If your car has the DPF fitted, it may be regenerating which heats the exhaust in a different way temporarily and for the first time, will cause a burning smell which will go away in time. If there's no smoke, I would say all is normal.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
I had a new car once that had some sealant or plastic of some sort stuck on the heater. It caused a quite pungent smell and needed to be fixed. If the smell is strong I'd have it checked otherwise as 847563 says, wait and see.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
IMO it'd be worth a call into the dealer's workshop just to ask the question while the smell is there.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal