i30 Owners Club

Wet road skid + ABS

rowanc · 11 · 3991

Offline rowanc

• 1st Gear
Hi All,

Driving this morning, and someone pulls out of a side road right in front of me, giving me a serious wakeup, hit the brakes too hard for the wet road, and go into a slide for nearly a second before the ABS cuts in (long enough, that I'd also removed some pressure from the pedal to compensate). Luckily this was all enough this time.
I tested the brakes on a backroad just after, and it seems that the ABS cuts in after around a second of skidding, for about a second, but then lets go again for about a second. It's like the pulse rate is 1/sec (from about 45km/hr). I would have assumed that the rate should be much quicker than this, as I had long enough to remove pressure from the brakes myself before the ABS cut in.
Is it normal to be able to skid for that long before the ABS cuts in properly?

Any thoughts folks?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Doesn't seem right to me, but can't recall ever having to brake hard enough in any of our 3  x i30's to test it..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Agree, seems too slow.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Shouldn't skid at all.....There should be a thudding through the brake pad, and perhaps the slightest of chirps where the sensors compensate the pressure to ensure that you do not skid. You should not skid then recover.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Doesn't seem right to me, but can't recall ever having to brake hard enough in any of our 3  x i30's to test it..  :undecided:

you must go VERY VERY slow Dazz
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

you must go VERY VERY slow Dazz

Sit on the speed limits (usually as per the GPS), but read the traffic flow very carefully, mainly for economy reasons.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've only ever activated the ABS once and it was due to a moment's distraction (mine). However, once the pedal started thumping I eased back on the pedal pressure and was able to brake normally.
Certainly didn't skid first.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thats an interesting point you brought up. My 09 FD felt like it skidded before the ABS kicked in.

My 05 XD Elantra had a quick ABS system and it was only 3 channels! (2 to the front, one to the rear)
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The whole point of ABS is to even things out.

As an example on a driving course we ABS braked on a road that was half wet and half dry. If the car had skidded for a second in this circumstance it would have caused the vehicle to become almost uncontrollable, as the tyres on the dry bit while the tyres on the wet  skidded...
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I have used my ABS on my old FD.  It definitely didn't skid before it started working.  Unfortunately it didn't stop me hitting the wallaby.  The front number plate catches fur very well.  The rear right wheel has a lot of travel.  I wasn't speeding.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal