i30 Owners Club

Blown Turbo

Offline happyantix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern NSW
So it sounds like the turbo has blown in my 2010 i30cw crdi manual, 250k km on the clock!

Made a loud whine noise when I accelerated then lost power, accompanied by a LOT of smoke

I was reading a previous thread where someone got an aftermarket one for about $650 then installation was about $500.. Fingers crossed i can do the same

Is there any chance of other engine parts blowing with the turbo? It sounds awful but I'm guessing no turbo throws everything out..

Getting towed to the mechanic tomorrow
  • 2010 I30 Diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that! Hopefully no other damage and you can pick up a 2nd hand one with some warranty!  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm positive replacement is the only viable solution but as a hypothetical, and somewhat related to your question, what would it take to tidy it up and make it driveable without the turbo? :undecided:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
An ecu reprogram probably never designed that way. Most are looking for more Kw's, not less.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 00:41:34 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If you're lucky it's the pressure hose broken or fallen off somewhere between the turbo and the inlet manifold....  :Good_luck:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline happyantix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern NSW
No good, looks like the motor is seized : :undecided:

Managed to pick up a motor for $1050 delivered off ebay with the current 15% off.. 89k on the clock

But the mechanic is quoting $1800 to do the swap !!

At least it will be good then ... lesson learnt never buy a high KM car, even if it is all highway KM!
  • 2010 I30 Diesel manual

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
What was the cause of the seized motor? Had the turbo been making a whistle noise for a while?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Jordie, what you are talking about is entirely different to what has happened here.
happyantix said was accellerating when it happened. what your talking about is if a diesel does not stop when you turn it off. as when you turn off the diesel fuel is shut off if it is stillk runing it would be running off the engine oil. But that can NOT happen to an I30 CRDi as the have a vacuum safety  shut off that works a butterfly that is similar to a trotle body that shuts air intake off. diesels just run on a full bore of air the speed is controlled by the fuel, that is how they can keep runing off the motor oil, as a diesel can run on oil , But it needs air too!!!!
well i could not say how this motor seized , normally if you seize a motor up you come to a skidding stop as motor stops turning. i think could have swallowed something , but you can't say without looking in the motor.
Happyantix how high ( how many rev's ) was motor revving at? and how many revs would be the highest you rev the motor when you drive?

Offline happyantix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern NSW
It still had oil in it (but was on the low end of the stick) , I think some part of the turbo broke and fell into the engine? I didn't notice any different turbo noise except the whining right before it totally failed, and it was only very recently serviced, I don't rev it much above 3k rpm maybe 4k Max

Remember it had over 250k km on the engine

I have had engines swapped out before and it didn't cost over $1000,the mechanic said they need to remove quite a lot from underneath the car to get it out hence why it costs so much with the i30
  • 2010 I30 Diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd be getting a couple of other quotes for the swap over!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
It still had oil in it (but was on the low end of the stick) , I think some part of the turbo broke and fell into the engine? I didn't notice any different turbo noise except the whining right before it totally failed, and it was only very recently serviced, I don't rev it much above 3k rpm maybe 4k Max

Blown turbo and seized engine after oil change and service. They probably done something wrong.

Maybe wrong size of oil filter? There is 120 and 104 mm filters.

• 1.6crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal