i30 Owners Club

Shudder on mild acceleration - 2010 1.6 crdi

KK · 7 · 2933

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
When mildly accelerating, by memory in about third gear, I have had about a second of shudder. It feels like I have run over a rumble strip, or put my foot on and off the accelerator in extremely rapid succession. This has happened twice. The second time the car had been driven less than 2 kms (i.e., near cold). After that I could feel the 'sweet spot' of the turbo kicking in.

The car is still less than a month old, done less than 600km - waiting it's first service so I'm interested if others have experienced this.

KK

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes KK I've experienced that too, and can replicate it anytime by gently squeezing the throttle in 3rd when the revs are too low after changing down from 4th, travelling slowly.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I'd be keen to know the revs more so than the gear KK.
The CRDi doesn't like to be driven under about 1400-1500 RPM (ish) in the higher gears.
I am imagining that what you describe is close to a stall (putting your foot on and off the accelerator in quick succession - kangaroo/bunny hop?) so that sounds like a case of low revs to me (ie under 1500).

OR...

I have also noticed what I think is the ECU computer inhibiting turbo boost when the engine is cold.
In the first km or so of being driven on cold mornings, it doesn't seem to thump you in the back under a moderate to heavy foot... once the temperature gets into the normal operating range though... whammo.  In those cold engine conditions, I have noticed (once only - in the first month or so of owning it) a feeling similar to a single spark plug miss-firing (I know they don't have them, but that's the feeling as best I can describe it). Only when still cold, and when asking it to give some sudden, extra,  boost.  Once I learned that the ECU was restricting "something" while not warm, I don't "stand on it" now until it is well and truly warm.  No more "miss-firing".

Does either of those scenario's fit the situation??

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The Turbo kicks in at about 1800 so is it at this point?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Thanks everyone for your contributions Your second scenario, Blue, is closer to the mark, but not quite.
I went for a 200 km trip yesterday, but didn't notice anything strange. I'm a fairly conservative driver (especially as it's a new car) but I will stress it a little from cold around 1500 - 1800 revs once or twice.

I'm modifying this entry. I have just come back from a run trying to replicate the shudder with a relatively cold engine. I can't.

I must say that I am quite happy with the car - it's showing 5 litres/100km on a 400km or so trip, so I guess that's good for a new tight engine. I'll verify that on my second fill at the pump.

KK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fair call KK...

As stated by a couple of diesel owners in this thread THe Crdi has suddered for me in the past when trying to accellerate from under 1500 rpm in the higher gears.. But tonight I dropped to as low as 1200rpm in 3rd and 4th on level ground and she still let me accelerate gently without shuddering (It appears that with almost 60,000 kms on the clock she copes better with these situations than when new)

Although I wouldn't (and don't) make a habit of it...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pinjarra, Western Australia
ive noticed this too
particularly if im going about 65km/hr at about 1500 rpm, not sure what gear its in (auto cause im slack)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal