i30 Owners Club

Duckman's Ride- Now with K&N Apollo Air Filter PICS!

Duckman · 14 · 10813

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

NOW PLEASE don't scream at me for attaching the ECU unit (please explain what this is...?) that was inside the airbox, with cable ties. It is more than sturdy where it is, there was just no other room for it!

The K&N air filter cost $250, and took about 30 minutes to install. Had to take out all the air box parts!

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
The ECU is the "Engine Control Unit".

Its the electronic heart of your car, it controls your fuel injection, tells your speedo what speed your doing based on sensors on the wheels, tells the HALO system to lock etc (although there *could* be a BCM (Body Control unit thats doing this , i havnt looked closely)) most if not all of the car sensors plug into this in one shape or form , i.e engine temp, fuel rail pressure, wheel speed, air intake temp etc the list goes on note the chunk of wiring that runs to it  :mrgreen:.

I dont think it was *in* the airbox before , isnt it just bolted to the side with 4 bolts ?

Just make sure its not going anywhere and that its no closer to heat and/or vibration than it was bolted to before.

+1 point for ducting the K&N filter to the OTRCAI (over the radiator cold air intake) and not just leaving it limp in the engine bay to suck in hot air which cars DONT like, like so many other people do.

Nice pics too, Ive recently bought a DSLR and about to do a couple of WEA courses on photography and DSLR'ng so that i can get a clue on how to take better pictures, im normally handed the camera at events so i guess i take some normally nice shots but i think i could do with some refreshing since its been about 20 years since school photography :D

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Sorry, I know what the ECU is, but I was wondering if that was the ECU or not. It has a heat sink that was partly in the airbox, but there's plenty of air constantly flowing through the engine bay, and it's going into winter, so no problems there. I just hope it doesn't get TOO cold, and freeze up!!

Yeah, I bought this Apollo kit because I knew it was fully enclosed, and the piping was the same diameter as the stock stuff. I had to gaffer tape the pipe to the over radiator intake because it was slightly too big for the piping.

If you need any tips with DSLRing, let me know. I love my camera, and love photography, give me a shout via PM if you need a hand with anything!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great pics Duckman. Hope you don't mind but I split your update into a new thread for the "petrol mods" section - it demonstrates a very interesting mod :)

Thanks again :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
will this void your warranty,
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Duckman... looks good (any improvement in performance)?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Sorry, I know what the ECU is, but I was wondering if that was the ECU or not. It has a heat sink that was partly in the airbox, but there's plenty of air constantly flowing through the engine bay, and it's going into winter, so no problems there. I just hope it doesn't get TOO cold, and freeze up!!

Oops, yep thats definitly the ECU :)

Yeah, I bought this Apollo kit because I knew it was fully enclosed, and the piping was the same diameter as the stock stuff. I had to gaffer tape the pipe to the over radiator intake because it was slightly too big for the piping.

I dont know how well the petrol engine responds to these sorts of mods, at worst you should get some increased air induction noise which always makes things sound a little better. It may improve economy as long as you dont put your foot down more to keep hearing the air indcution noise. :mrgreen: On another note , if you look inside the airbox , does it have a reasonable sized hole at the bottom somewhere to let water out ? this is my only concern with running a different air tintake on cars as most performance ones dont give room for water to *fall out* of the system should it induce some , ive learnt the hard way before (rod out of block!)

If you need any tips with DSLRing, let me know. I love my camera, and love photography, give me a shout via PM if you need a hand with anything!

I may well be doing that , morso after the course to make sure im understanding things correctly and wil be more inclined to have a play with a few different settings on the camera.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
will this void your warranty,

More than likely, but I really don't think it will be a problem. (Wishful thinking!!)

Hi Duckman... looks good (any improvement in performance)?

It actually is much more responsive than I first imagined it would have been. The power down to the wheels is slightly faster (and it does seem strange for such a minor modification), but I guess you need to experience it to explain it properly :P If anything, it will probably give me a few extra KW power. Actually, I have noticed that there is slightly more torque. Not sure if it's me accelerating harder to hear induction, but there is a slight increase in torque.

I dont know how well the petrol engine responds to these sorts of mods, at worst you should get some increased air induction noise which always makes things sound a little better.

It is less restrictive air flow, increasing air flow will give a slight performance increase. Similarly to turbo chargers, they spool up air and effectively blast it into the manifold.

On another note , if you look inside the airbox , does it have a reasonable sized hole at the bottom somewhere to let water out ? this is my only concern with running a different air tintake on cars as most performance ones dont give room for water to *fall out* of the system should it induce some , ive learnt the hard way before (rod out of block!)

Nope, no hole in the airbox. Yet, I have never heard of water gathering inside the airbox, unless you're in a HEAVY storm!

I may well be doing that , morso after the course to make sure im understanding things correctly and wil be more inclined to have a play with a few different settings on the camera

Excellent! Don't be discouraged if you don't get amazing pictures early on. Photography is something that requires amazing amounts of patience, and trial and error. Something that I've learnt since taking it up!

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
nice pics! quick random question to anyone but would this kind of pod filter be any use at all for the diesel? like..it was a really good choice of filter since its housed and is linked to the original air intake so..just was wondering if anyone would know anything about this is relation to the diesel?

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
nice pics! quick random question to anyone but would this kind of pod filter be any use at all for the diesel? like..it was a really good choice of filter since its housed and is linked to the original air intake so..just was wondering if anyone would know anything about this is relation to the diesel?

I'm not entirely sure if anyone here has modified their i30 diesel, but I have seen some videos on youtube...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Duckman, Great Pic's!
Looks good.
I use a K&N replacement ( stock air box ) in my V8.
here is what i have learnt about air induction, ....if you here more noise like sucking through the filter, this indicates there is not enough air space between throtle body and filter eliment, so the motor is drawing air from outside the filter, and the filter is a restriction. but not much you can do , keeping things stock.
also the only way to realy test if a filter is improving air flow and cutting down on restriction, is to fit a vacume gauge between the filter and the throtle body. take vacume readings with stock airbox, then take vacume readings with the K&N unit, a lower vacume reading indicates less restriction.

Link you can get K&N replacement elliments to go into the stock air box, would be less restrictive than the stock elliment, also you can wash and re oil so they last a long time.  but i'm happy how my Diesel is going now with 33,000 up so will leave it as is.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Took off the filter.

While it did give me an awesome sound, and great "pick up", it caused me to drive too hard and waste too much fuel :S Since taking it off, I'm averaging 3/4 tank used, with 670km or so on the dial. I'm impressed :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Duckman, Great Pic's!
Looks good.
I use a K&N replacement ( stock air box ) in my V8.
here is what i have learnt about air induction, ....if you here more noise like sucking through the filter, this indicates there is not enough air space between throtle body and filter eliment, so the motor is drawing air from outside the filter, and the filter is a restriction. but not much you can do , keeping things stock.
also the only way to realy test if a filter is improving air flow and cutting down on restriction, is to fit a vacume gauge between the filter and the throtle body. take vacume readings with stock airbox, then take vacume readings with the K&N unit, a lower vacume reading indicates less restriction.

Link you can get K&N replacement elliments to go into the stock air box, would be less restrictive than the stock elliment, also you can wash and re oil so they last a long time.  but i'm happy how my Diesel is going now with 33,000 up so will leave it as is.

you can take inlet manifold vacuum readings with a scangauge.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal