i30 Owners Club

Removing the 197klm Speed limiter

gchaves · 43 · 18918

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
well... here... in Croatia, you can actual drive 154 km/h (around 96 mph) on highway legally :)

Limit is 130 km/h, there is 10% tolerance and this is in out traffic law, and then there is no ticket for driving 0-10 km/h more then speed limit when driving outside city (highway and open road only)

so most people drive on our highways 140-150 km/h. :D Germany is only better then we :) there on highway's don't have seed limits - only where there are exits and entrances on highway

10% tolerance is always calculated in city and open road

Here are our official speed limits, but there is a lot of roads in the city that have 80-90 km/h speed limits also.

heh i found deafult speed limits for Australia :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Australia#Default_Speed_Limits_by_Australian_State_and_Territory

here are for UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limits_in_the_United_Kingdom#National_speed_limits

and i also found speed limits by country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Same in Slovenia :) Above 100 km/h there's 10% tolerance..or is it 7%? I think 10 also. So when driving around 140-150, you are driving "ok".

Just passed the police car today with around 160 km/h (it was an emergency). I was driving just above 190 (around 195 I guess) according to my speedometer most of the time, and I saw them too late. By the time I slowed down, it was too late, so I said "ahhh". I passed them at around 160 and accelerated again. They didn't even look at me really. But today, those 195 km/h (when it was really urgent) seemed so slow  :neutral: I so wished i30 was a bit faster..  :rolleyes:

Anyway..andrejs. What's with the car? :)

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
waiting for the data from my service guy to update the table... but now i'm 8,4 sec 0-100 kmh ... bigger intercooler is on it's way :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
here in Australia 110KPH with 10% tolerance in NSW
but it's a big state & if you go right out west and into South Australia then up Northern Territory you could possibly go a lot faster BUT the fuel fill up points are few & far between, also if you hit a Kangaroo you will most likely hole your radiator ( if it's head on ) so here you have to plan your trips carefully as if you run out of fuel or hit animals can be days in some parts before someone comes along. but i get to go well over 200kph in only a 1/4mile & takes me a 11 seconds ( street bike) not really trying. my friend does 330KPH in 6.5 seconds when he is lucky. another guy i know does 540KPH in 4.7 seconds all in Sydney Australia just i'm after good economy in the i30.

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
is it meant to limit hey, I tried this last night on a nice uhhhmm (private ) road...........
mine definelty goes past 197 march this year slx diesel i got to a stage where my misses heard me fly past and hence am driving the old car for a while :(
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Andrejs GR8 links.. thanks.. :D

If you go on some back roads the 100 limit still allows some fun but on the highways 110 is so boring in a modern car... :rolleyes:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Crystal would certainly top 200 (verified by sat-nav despite the slightly dodgy speedo she had) but she was a 2.0 petrol. There doesn't seem to be any sensible reason to limit the diesel (or any small front wheel drive) to a speed like 197 when it's so close to the car's actual top speed anyway. Crystal was certainly quite happy at very high speed, no excessive vibrations or anything that would suggest you were pushing the envelope of any of the car's hardware.

The reason Falcon utes (and some of the older sedans) are limited to 180 is because of the length of the (one-piece) tailshaft and the fact that it tends to start "whipping" at high speed. I think FPVs have a better quality tailshaft fitted but I'm still not sure I'd want to be disabling the limiter on any of those. I've driven a BF XR6 Turbo sedan at 240 and it was smooth and calm except for the bonnet flapping but I drove a BA ute at 160 and it was already starting to feel a bit unhappy. And in my younger, more foolish days I did a top speed run in my XB ute with 4V 351 Cleveland V8 - at about 220 the front uni started to fail and the vibration was so ferocious it actually snapped the transmission housing! Seriously, when I (towed) the car home and got underneath I pulled the transmission out in 2 similarly-sized pieces.

Don't think that would happen in an i30 tho. ;o)

If in doubt, why not jack the front of the car up (securely) and run it flat out in top to see if it won't go over 197 when it's got no load on it? That'll answer the question anyway! Also a good opportunity to take a happy snap of the speedo off the clock to impress your friends.  :wink:

If it does have a limiter, try disconnecting the speedo sender. Sometimes you can outsmart them because if it doesn't know what speed you’re doing it can’t limit you. Not sure if that would work on an i30, it might be smart enough to work out that there’s naughtiness afoot – or the ABS might interfere…

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
i could just imagine someon jacking up a i30 putting a brick on it and watching then the jack breaks and the car rockets across the streeet and into some unsuspecting blokes bathroom while hes taking a Sh*Te lol im sure itd make the news....
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
think it would be better to test the top speed on a dyno with load control, don't think testing jacking up and runing in top gear would tell you much, as wind resistance plas the weight of the car all play a part. with the new dyno's set up to give accurate air fuel ratio's they need the electro magnetic load controls on the rollers. it's a controled load so there is no traction problem with high performance motors.
My old ute, i did not notice a vibration has 3.2 ratio diff with i think 0.80 4th gear auto.was still excellerating strong when it hit the limiter but now if i wanted i could take the limiter off, my friend has the software to program the ford ECU but not interested.
i drove a HO GT to Queensland to run it in for the old Hardie Ferodo 500mile at Bathurst back in early 70's we were doing about 150mph 155mph it had a lot of vibration front gaurds & bonett were shaking around a lot but it went well for those days & we were allowed to drive at those speeds then. 36 gallion tank & they did not post fuel prices it was that cheap 100octain PON at some fuel outlets then too. thats how they raced at bathurst was showroom cars then. a few went to more trouble but not like now, just had roll bar fitted.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Fair enuf Lakes, my suggestion about running the car in freewheel was only to assess whether or not there is an electronic limiter - it certainly wouldn't give any meaningful insight in to what the car is capable of on the road, or enable you to tune the car to work well at v-max.

The BA ute I mentioned was still tolerable at speed but it was noticeably less happy than the sedan and I reckon would have been quite cranky by the time it got to 240...

My old XB GT was like the HO you described - once you got up past 130-140 mph it really started to show how flimsily it was put together. And they were put together way better than the equivalent Toranas and so forth. Scary to think of hitting anything in one of those!

xrtsteve, you mean you've never tried that?  :P We did that with an old Mazda on a friend's farm once just to see what would happen - put the car on jack stands at the top of a hill, grabbed 5th gear, put a brick on the accelerator, started it up and then we all got behind and pushed it off the stands. Was a bit of a fizzer though, it just bogged down and trundled away.  :neutral:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Fair enuf Lakes, my suggestion about running the car in freewheel was only to assess whether or not there is an electronic limiter - it certainly wouldn't give any meaningful insight in to what the car is capable of on the road, or enable you to tune the car to work well at v-max.

The BA ute I mentioned was still tolerable at speed but it was noticeably less happy than the sedan and I reckon would have been quite cranky by the time it got to 240...

My old XB GT was like the HO you described - once you got up past 130-140 mph it really started to show how flimsily it was put together. And they were put together way better than the equivalent Toranas and so forth. Scary to think of hitting anything in one of those!

xrtsteve, you mean you've never tried that?  :P We did that with an old Mazda on a friend's farm once just to see what would happen - put the car on jack stands at the top of a hill, grabbed 5th gear, put a brick on the accelerator, started it up and then we all got behind and pushed it off the stands. Was a bit of a fizzer though, it just bogged down and trundled away.  :neutral:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never thought about the long tail shaft the utes have, i drove my friends BF F6 turbo typhoon 6 speed manuel, went great, but i never tried out the top speed  has a lot of Torque for a 6 cylinder.
good to see you posting again MRI30

Offline flaky-ho

• 1st Gear
You can remove the speed limiter. That´s no problem. You just need someone who knows his stuff about OBD Chiptuning. Then he can also remove the speedlimter without any problem.

LOOK also in my Thread about Chiptuning:  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6393.0.html

Offline Dsbld

• 2nd Gear
and its possible remove without using a chip tuning?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal