i30 Owners Club

K & N Air filters for CRDI

ElleB · 99 · 36606

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good stuff, Tony.... :goodjob:

I was gonna post this link last night (http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#RESULTS) but was curious as to what Master_Scythe had to say re my question....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
quote from above "they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an after market air filter."

So does this also apply to oil filters ?

But is does say "in the USA"

There is no way I'd using anything other than a genuine mobis oil filter, it's just not worth the hassle for such a small saving. The terms of the UK warrant say :

Quote from: Hyundai
•Ensure that the vehicle is serviced in accordance with our specified service schedule and that only genuine Hyundai supplied parts are fitted.
http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/owners/5YearWarranty/maintenanceAndServicing/

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is a restraint of trade to prohibit the use of non genuine parts on a vehicle, so they can say that all they want, but it wont hold up in court.

Further to void the warranty they need to prove that the non genuine part
was responsible for the fault.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It is a restraint of trade to prohibit the use of non genuine parts on a vehicle, so they can say that all they want, but it wont hold up in court.

Further to void the warranty they need to prove that the non genuine part
was responsible for the fault.

Quite true beerman. Certainly in Oz and North America.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
But not in the UK. It's only in recently years you didn't have to get the service done by an approved dealer.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But not in the UK. It's only in recently years you didn't have to get the service done by an approved dealer.
Probably goes back 15 years or so here, but it's the wording of the guidelines re servicing which also are interpreted to include the use of replacement parts "of a comparable quality" (my wording). And I think that means the onus is on the vehicle manufacturer to prove otherwise in cases of dispute.
Lakes can probably give us a better interpretation.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Xamaxy
Dont go with panel K&N. There is noting to be gained, absolutely nothing.

Go wit K&N CAI!! OMFG gains! :eek:
I have one and got "only" 4HP, but, torque diagram is fantastic!! Engine can breathe! I had wheel spin like crazy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear from torque burst at ~2200rpm.  Now it pulls from 1800rpm and wheel spinning is a lot less since torque is developed gradually and lasts till 4000 then slight dropping (before sudden drop at 3600rpm). General times, like quarter mile, 0-60 etc are significantly better. Pulling from 100-160kph is just WOW.
+ there is that intake sound and blow off aaaaa amazing :brilliant: :i30:

PS
Take look at https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5534.0 , he gained like 9-11HP.
So its a definitively must have for CRDI.

EDIT: ofc diesel cant have blow off, but its like that :) (in absance of better words)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Xamaxy
My previous post was sort of a cliff-hanger, so, i took a little video to show you why is CAI absolute must have compared to waste-of-money-panel-K&N :goodjob:

mick55
I don't get the video. Is it some sort of UFO thing? :wink:

Xamaxy
Its about sound, not video, if you like it i can take one with daylight and birds and trees  :winker:

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Despite my nay-saying, i'll be buying a panel filter anyway simply to save money on replacements (wash, dry and go, with K&N).

As i said, on their 'drop in filters' the gains are usually un-noticible. So any better breathing i'll take as a bonus, I'm purchasing PURELY for the washable filter and better filtration.

Still gonna try and get some amsoil nanofibre ones, but they dont seem to make em for newer cars very quickly.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks Master_Scythe ,   
Once I get 3 more takers I will advise you and we can get it under way. :sweating:

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Sorry to dissapoint, but I didnt mean I was opting into the group buy.

They're cheaper than that on EBAY, so i'll simply be purchasing through there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-HighFlow-replacement-reusable-Air-Filter-33-2380-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adedfe71fQQitemZ390286272287QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thank you anyway though.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I've been able to dyno test with and without K&N filter and I can say there is no performance benefit to be gained. In fact if you removed the filter all together you still won't see a difference. The answer lies in the ECU that peggs back any gains back to factory parameters as soon as possible. Sometimes I see spikes in power and torque back that is short lived when the ECU kicks in. K&N claim performance gains. In i30s case that's bolony on a standard car setup.

To me I don't care either way. At the moment I'm using the OEM filter because it still does a good job in filtration. My tuning box beast still kicks arse. 1st and 2nd wheelspin? Not a problem.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i would be bloody careful with them...

people tend to 'over oil' them and stuff their AFM up... the oil contaminates the wire in there and causes the engine to think its lean, thus putting more fuel in...

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
That's true as well agent31. Starts to become a pain in the butt really.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Sorry it has been some little time, been busy,  but I have this reply from K & N re the latest discussion.

These comments should "clear the air"  :rofl:

This was a direct answer to Master_Sythes contribution.

First we have to clarify about which product we are talking; we do not dyno test each REPLACEMENT filter. Therefore we do not claim any specific gains for those replacement filters. In general we see gains between 0 and 5 bhp. Our intake systems are developed on a dyno with gaining horse power as target. A kit which we list for a specific vehicle, will gain power on that vehicle.

An intake system will gain more power when the intake air is colder. Unfortunately we do not have a CAI system available specifically for the i30. It might be possible to mount a universal Apollo system, but it will be your own responsibility that it will fit and it is mounted properly. We cannot take responsibility for that. The Apollo; http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm. You will need enough space under the hood and you might need adaptor parts (85-6001/85-6002/85-6003) to be able to mount the Apollo to the car. The outer diameter of the Apollo is 170mm and the total height is approximately 180mm.

I then summarised it this way:

"Thanks for that clarification, to be clear on the difference is most important.

So basically you are testing your filter material over that of the OE filter for any specific vehicle, but with a aim of a gain in bhp of 0-5 in a test bench situation.  So all the other factors that influence performance, be it temperature, be it ECU etc will modify those potential results, unless it is a specific Kit  produced for a specific vehicle.

That seems to put things in perspective and perhaps means that we need to "re-jig" our thinking to; 1. better filtration, 2. washable filter, so less costs in the long run, and 3. there is the possibility of a BHP gain, that will be controlled by other factors outside the characteristics of the filter itself.  Is that a fair summary to close the discussion?"

The reply was :
Yes, that is definitely a fair conclusion. Although the BHP result in case of replacement elements not the aim is, but the result.

So I hope this helps....The bulk buy offer is still open, but the e Bay option works out about the same....it all comes down to postage.

Cheers

Elle B

• 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Personally i don't see how a filter can "breathe better" and filter better as well. To breathe better the medium needs to be more open/coarser and to filter better the medium needs to be more closed/finer.

K&N may spruike all they like but at the end of the day they are selling a product and will promote it in any way to sell more. We used to use them on race bikes in the 90s but went with oiled foam filters for the same power and better filtration..
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have heard more pluses than minuses about them over the years but will stick with stock items in our cars.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
I also agree that there is no way filter can let more air pass and have better filtration. Plus, theres that "thing" about MAF sensor going dead from oil.

My thoughts, you put high-flow air filter in front bumper to protect it from and significant dust/garbage particles, and those little that pass through are reduced to nothing in turbine or even if they pass to chamber they are melted away. Some say oil can have that dust particles and then act like polishing agent to parts which is bad, but regular oil replacement will correct that too. Then again, ofc you in Australia will have slightly more to think about with desert sand going on then me in dry city.

MAF senor issue. Well, for example, MAF sensor die all the time on Accent (X3 model i think), and all of them have factory filters! Then again, MAF sensor is not constructed to last for eternity, and lets say you get at 50.000km CAI with ofc oiled filter, and at the 70.000km your MAF is dead. You blame CAI, thats very much open for debate, since yes it can be oil, but it can be simply that MAF is dead since it always die like from 70.000-90.000km.

You have people saying "dont do that oil kills FOR SURE". I ask them, did you washed your filter and let it dry for 24hours??? Did you then oiled it CORRECTLY by which i mean atleast minimal required amount of oil and not just soaked it in to be sure??? Then did you let it dry for another 24hours??? Total=48hours of work for this filter, i am ready to bet 99% of them did not do that!! And what you get from filter soaked in oil when you floor it? -ofc a lot of extra oil all over the place including MAF. I believe K&N even tho they'll sell their mothers for high profit when they say do it right and no problem!

Replacing stock filter with K&N panel filter will do exactly nothing. You still have reduced flow from silencers and like 1000 curves in intake.
CAI will improve something for sure!
But having CAI without engine tuning is waste of time and money-in that case i believe it wont do a thing/just like the exhaust.
Tune engine with either chip or tuning box for 20% which is highly recommended percentage THEN go with CAI.
Then there is no doubt about gains...some gain few HP, some few extra mileage at highway, some better response, and some (like me) gain insanely good torque diagram. Most of you have seen our HBT dude work, also he has done like 50 other hyundais and every single one gained something from CAI (i repeat, first is a engine tuning since ECU factory delivered blocks all)

Any CRDi must have atleast tuning+cai+exhaust...and thats not for racing, thats just for having truly great working, high mileage, epic drive diesel.

Sry for my noel and bad english and not to be able to say all that shortly  :sweating:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the filter I'm running looks like the one at the 2min 15sec point of the air filter and air intake testing video.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I also agree that there is no way filter can let more air pass and have better filtration. Plus, theres that "thing" about MAF sensor going dead from oil.

My thoughts, you put high-flow air filter in front bumper to protect it from and significant dust/garbage particles, and those little that pass through are reduced to nothing in turbine or even if they pass to chamber they are melted away. Some say oil can have that dust particles and then act like polishing agent to parts which is bad, but regular oil replacement will correct that too. Then again, ofc you in Australia will have slightly more to think about with desert sand going on then me in dry city.

MAF senor issue. Well, for example, MAF sensor die all the time on Accent (X3 model i think), and all of them have factory filters! Then again, MAF sensor is not constructed to last for eternity, and lets say you get at 50.000km CAI with ofc oiled filter, and at the 70.000km your MAF is dead. You blame CAI, thats very much open for debate, since yes it can be oil, but it can be simply that MAF is dead since it always die like from 70.000-90.000km.

You have people saying "dont do that oil kills FOR SURE". I ask them, did you washed your filter and let it dry for 24hours??? Did you then oiled it CORRECTLY by which i mean atleast minimal required amount of oil and not just soaked it in to be sure??? Then did you let it dry for another 24hours??? Total=48hours of work for this filter, i am ready to bet 99% of them did not do that!! And what you get from filter soaked in oil when you floor it? -ofc a lot of extra oil all over the place including MAF. I believe K&N even tho they'll sell their mothers for high profit when they say do it right and no problem!

Replacing stock filter with K&N panel filter will do exactly nothing. You still have reduced flow from silencers and like 1000 curves in intake.
CAI will improve something for sure!
But having CAI without engine tuning is waste of time and money-in that case i believe it wont do a thing/just like the exhaust.
Tune engine with either chip or tuning box for 20% which is highly recommended percentage THEN go with CAI.
Then there is no doubt about gains...some gain few HP, some few extra mileage at highway, some better response, and some (like me) gain insanely good torque diagram. Most of you have seen our HBT dude work, also he has done like 50 other hyundais and every single one gained something from CAI (i repeat, first is a engine tuning since ECU factory delivered blocks all)

Any CRDi must have atleast tuning+cai+exhaust...and thats not for racing, thats just for having truly great working, high mileage, epic drive diesel.

Sry for my noel and bad english and not to be able to say all that shortly  :sweating:

You did well with your English Xamaxy. As a Croatian myself I find your English writing is better than my Croatian writing. Any way I back your point of view. My own mechanic, who is very reputable in the high performance scene, said to me the KN filters wont filter as much as the standard filters, but they will allow a greater airflow. So those who have no tuning to their engines will not benefit in performance or filtration.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's amazing that anyone would use K&N filters in rallies such as the Paris to Dakar Rally & the Australian Safari if they didn't filter as well as an original.... :rolleyes:

Me thinks it's an urban myth put out by the manufacturers.....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i would be bloody careful with them...

people tend to 'over oil' them and stuff their AFM up... the oil contaminates the wire in there and causes the engine to think its lean, thus putting more fuel in...

I agree Ian!
i had too much oil in a KnN pod type, had motor on a dyno, washed the filter out never oiled it & saw a HP gain also a Torque gain, was a worthwhile gain too. but this was for racing.
i won't be putting one on my i30, but they are a good filter just not the best filter.
i would worry about useing oil in the filter on the Diesel too, so will just stick to stock Hy as have done 86,000k and happy. why change.
just a note, if you get induction sucking noise, this means you have a restriction as the air flow starts from outside the filter, you want the air flow to be inside the filter, thats why airboxs help as nice uninterupted flow of air.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal