i30 Owners Club

900+ mile range

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
In August I filled with diesel in Andorra and next fuelled in Luxembourg having driven 902.1 miles mainly in France but also in Spain and Belgium. I'd been expecting a big fill in Andorra as the Distance To Empty had been flashing dashes for 20 congested uphill miles but even so was surprised to fit 61.43 litres into my '53 litre' tank (my previous biggest fill being 60.50 litres). The Andorran forecourt was on a slight slope and the car was facing downhill which perhaps meant that I could squeeze in more than usual. In Luxembourg I could only put in 59.30 litres. This forecourt was level, which was just as well as I forgot to apply the handbrake.
As usual I was trying to drive efficiently by making progress without going bananas. I cheerfully used the car's performance to squirt passed other vehicles when there was the real possibility of gaining the benefit of the open road but also tried to make little use of the brakes, which could be hairy when I made one of my all too frequent miscalculations. Most of the driving was in France, some was in Spain and there was a bit in Belgium. Most of the time it was straightforward but there were some hills, hairpins and holdups. When possible I typically I go along with one needle showing above 2,000rpm and the other below 70mph. I also prefer to idle the engine rather than off it and on it or on it and off it for short periods such as when taking a comfort stop or paying on arrival at a campsite and then selecting a pitch.
There was a bit of weight in the car. According to a sympathetic set of scales I'm about 11.5 stone. It would not be gallant of me to broadcast the weight of my holiday companion on that internet, suffice to say she's a very nice weight, certainly not too petite but neither is she overly hefty (and our combined weight is about 20.5 stone). Our camping stuff consisted of a small tent, 2 sleeping bags, 3 pillows (1 was for her hips) and a couple of foam roll mats so it was bulky rather than heavy but we also had a total of 90 litres of liquid purchases from Germany, Italy, Spain and Andorra in the car.
Finally, the air conditioning stayed off and the windows closed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great result.. Thanks for sharing  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Outstanding! thats over 1,440k's on a tank well done.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There was a bit of weight in the car. According to a sympathetic set of scales I'm about 11.5 stone. It would not be gallant of me to broadcast the weight of my holiday companion on that internet, suffice to say she's a very nice weight, certainly not too petite but neither is she overly hefty (and our combined weight is about 20.5 stone).

That was an interesting post, we like to hear about people's trips, sounds like you had a good trip and excellent driving figures.
Do remember to use your brakes though, economy is not that important.  :eek:

Now for my calculator  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Interesting post and a great result.
And we won't tell anyone what your wife weighs....  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
There was a bit of weight in the car.......................

It would not be gallant of me to broadcast the weight of my holiday companion on that internet,

I'm about 11.5 stone.

(and our combined weight is about 20.5 stone).

:whistler:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
My wife? I'm happily unmarried.
One other correction: the fill in Luxembourg was 59.35 litres (and not 59.30 litres as per my original post). Sorry.
I forgot to mention the model of i30, it's a shine red 2009.5 model year 6 gear 1.6 u2 crdi comfort hatchback. At Andorra the mileage was 88,466 and in Luxembourg 89,368. It had been serviced at 80,000 miles (I'm having it done every 20,000 by an independent garage) and so far the only replacements have been oil, oil filter and front tyres. The current fronts seem to be wearing evenly whereas the originals and their replacements suffered premature wear on the inner shoulders. A £20.00 front wheel alignment adjustment would appear to have cured the problem.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal