i30 Owners Club

3,870k latest update on economy in Sydney traffic.

Lakes · 64 · 20086

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
ijet30, I clearly see the word "not" in those 2 images. Does yours not have "not"?
Yeh!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
ijet30, I clearly see the word "not" in those 2 images. Does yours not have "not"?
Yeh!

So are we clear about that then? .. It is a good thing believe me (from what AlanHo and other European i30 owners have told us)

The regular Regeneration (of a DPF/CPF) has a measurable toll on the fuel mileage  :fum:

If by YEAH you are saying it does not have the word NOT  :wacko: then we would like to see a photo of the sticker please  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think he's saying that he DOES have the word NOT there.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Yeh!

So are we clear about that then? .. It is a good thing believe me (from what AlanHo and other European i30 owners have told us)

The regular Regeneration (of a DPF/CPF) has a measurable toll on the fuel mileage  :fum:

If by YEAH you are saying it does not have the word NOT  :wacko: then we would like to see a photo of the sticker please  :P
I can upload photos it's annoying me! And yes I don't have a CPF!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Didn't you read rule 57b " I will not get annoyed with an Administrator..."  :snigger:

Glad we cleared that up ..  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Didn't you read rule 57b " I will not get annoyed with an Administrator..."  :snigger:

Glad we cleared that up ..  :winker:
I meant cant* upload photos don't know why

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Me 'ed 'urts.

Does the car not have a sticker with the word not in it or does it not have a sticker that has not got the word not in it.  I'm getting tied in knots.......... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I fell for the same trick 4000 odd posts ago  :confused:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
Me 'ed 'urts.

Does the car not have a sticker with the word not in it or does it not have a sticker that has not got the word not in it.  I'm getting tied in knots.......... :rofl:
Clearly there is a problem with negatives and double negatives just exacerbate the problem. I apologise for that, I thought it was funny at the time!

Al, you are knot helping in the sliightest. :rofl:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I do, but it says that the vehicle is NOT fitted with a DPF.
Mine says fitted with catalyzed particulate filter :-/ I'm not sure if that's the same as a DPF tho

I think its the same. If you are in Australia there is no way yours has a DPF....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Mine says fitted with catalyzed particulate filter :-/ I'm not sure if that's the same as a DPF tho

I think its the same. If you are in Australia there is no way yours has a DPF....
Yeh thanks mate there isn't a DPF on my i30 I wasnt having the best of day and didn't read it wrong...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Yeh thanks mate there isn't a DPF on my i30 I wasnt having the best of day and didn't read it wrong...

:confused: Didn't or did?  :undecided:  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Pip

Or was that best of week?  :snigger:

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Did*

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
Yeh ur right it does say B5 but it actually has B5-04 which I'm not sure what that means but on the back of the bottle it says " suitable for use in the following manufacturer's vechiles" and Hyundai is one of them am I think all of hyundai's crdi's would be B4 from the 1.6 to the 2.2lt..

I think the 04 in front of the B5 is the year 2004....This is the way I see it, so it does not actually mean B5-B4.

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Yeh ur right it does say B5 but it actually has B5-04 which I'm not sure what that means but on the back of the bottle it says " suitable for use in the following manufacturer's vechiles" and Hyundai is one of them am I think all of hyundai's crdi's would be B4 from the 1.6 to the 2.2lt..

I think the 04 in front of the B5 is the year 2004....This is the way I see it, so it does not actually mean B5-B4.

On the bottle it's displayed B5-04 so yeh maybe it does mean 2004 :-/ I dunno but Hyundai names is under the manufacturers approved so I guess they can't say that I've avoided my warranty if they approve of this oil..

Pip

On the bottle it's displayed B5-04 so yeh maybe it does mean 2004 :-/ I dunno but Hyundai names is under the manufacturers approved so I guess they can't say that I've avoided my warranty if they approve of this oil..

B5-04 means it meets the 2004 revision of the B5 standard. There have been three revisions since then and the '04 revision would be considered well superceded.
http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

I believe you have drawn the wrong conclusion regarding its suitability for your car and you theoretically risk your engine warranty by its use. :sweating:

To be perfectly clear, You must use ACEA B4 in an diesel i30 that has no DPF and that means Australia.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:08:51 by Pip »

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

B5-04 means it meets the 2004 revision of the B5 standard. There have been three revisions since then and the '04 revision would be considered well superceded.
http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

I believe you have drawn the wrong conclusion regarding its suitability for your car and you theoretically risk your engine warranty by its use. :sweating:

To be perfectly clear, You must use ACEA B4 in an diesel i30 that has no DPF and that means Australia.
I understand that!! but the problem ls with hyundai there name should not be under the manufacturer listing for approving the oil if it doesn't meet that standard..
Castrol edge look pretty good tho!!

Pip
I understand that!! but the problem ls with hyundai there name should not be under the manufacturer listing for approving the oil if it doesn't meet that standard..
I haven't looked at the bottle but unless it says "suitable for Hyundai i30 diesel" I don't think you can assume it is, just because of any other mention of Hyundai.  Furthermore, I expect that Hyundai have had no input WRT its suitability (for any of their cars) and it's just the oil manufacturer offering a general (marketing) statement that it thinks it suits (some or one?) Hyundai of some unidentified model. AFAIK Hy do not have any special requirements (other than ACEA B4) and therefore do not (need to) approve any oil at all directly. They do have a short list of oils that meet B4 standard.

In other words, the problem is with the oil company carelessly misleading you, not Hyundai.

Even though you've said you understand I'll repeat for everyone else: Hyundai i30 diesels without a DPF must use ACEA B4 oil as per Hyundai to maintain the engine warranty.

If it does say "i30" on the label I'll take it back. :wacko:

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I haven't looked at the bottle but unless it says "suitable for Hyundai i30 diesel" I don't think you can assume it is, just because of any other mention of Hyundai.  Furthermore, I expect that Hyundai have had no input WRT its suitability (for any of their cars) and it's just the oil manufacturer offering a general (marketing) statement that it thinks it suits (some or one?) Hyundai of some unidentified model. AFAIK Hy do not have any special requirements (other than ACEA B4) and therefore do not (need to) approve any oil at all directly. They do have a short list of oils that meet B4 standard.

In other words, the problem is with the oil company carelessly misleading you, not Hyundai.

Even though you've said you understand I'll repeat for everyone else: Hyundai i30 diesels without a DPF must use ACEA B4 oil as per Hyundai to maintain the engine warranty.

If it does say "i30" on the label I'll take it back. :wacko:
What do u think of castrol edge 5w-30?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I find it interesting that Castrol don't list their 0W40 Edge "Titanium" as being suitable for the Hyundai i30 Diesel without a particulate filter...  :undecided:

Pip
The new Titanium is probably better than the previous Edge Sport 5w30. I personally didn't feel comfortable using the old one. 0w40 is better though.

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
The new Titanium is probably better than the previous Edge Sport 5w30. I personally didn't feel comfortable using the old one. 0w40 is better though.
Is the 0w-40 safe enough to use on the i30 crdi? I'd give it a shot if it's fine to use

Pip
Is the 0w-40 safe enough to use on the i30 crdi? I'd give it a shot if it's fine to use
I think Rusty is using it and I would be happy with it.

I'm still using a Castrol 0w30 Syntec that is a German formulation and never marketed here unfortunately. AFAIK noone is importing this to Oz anymore (from the US which themselves sourced it from Germany). It had the distinction of also meeting VW 503.01 which I took to be a good thing (even if unnecessary for our motors). Some vdubs had an under-engineered cam system to drive the injectors and only a few oils could meet the film strength required.

I have some Mobil 1 0w40 lined up for next time. The latest Titanium Castrol 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0w40 look to be very similar. I'm guessing Castrol want to get a bigger piece of the Mobil 1 market with it.

The other oil on my short list would be Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 although I'm sure many others would be perfectly acceptable.

Just to make the point, none of these oils are suitable for DPF diesels - I am talking Oz only here.

Offline ijet30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I think Rusty is using it and I would be happy with it.

I'm still using a Castrol 0w30 Syntec that is a German formulation and never marketed here unfortunately. AFAIK noone is importing this to Oz anymore (from the US which themselves sourced it from Germany). It had the distinction of also meeting VW 503.01 which I took to be a good thing (even if unnecessary for our motors). Some vdubs had an under-engineered cam system to drive the injectors and only a few oils could meet the film strength required.

I have some Mobil 1 0w40 lined up for next time. The latest Titanium Castrol 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0w40 look to be very similar. I'm guessing Castrol want to get a bigger piece of the Mobil 1 market with it.

The other oil on my short list would be Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 although I'm sure many others would be perfectly acceptable.

Just to make the point, none of these oils are suitable for DPF diesels - I am talking Oz only here.
The shell helix ultra is what Hyundai use its ok I guess but was just looking for a good alternative or something better possibly.. But I might give castrol edge a go see what that's like :)

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
A bit off topic again,

These are the oils for an i30 diesel I (will) be using for oil changes on my i30 - after extensive research I have found these ALL Comply with Hyundai's standards (For AUSTRALIA ONLY WITHOUT DPF):

NULON 5w40 API CF/SM Long Life (ACEA C3/B4/A3)

Shell Helix ULTRA (not extra) 5w40 (purchased that on a deal will be commenting after service below $50)

Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (on a deal at Repco at the moment below $50)

Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4

Penrite HPR DIESEL 5 (5w40 this is a semi-synthetic but penrite recommend it for the diesel even over their full synthetic range - I have also got this on a deal 10L for less than $90).

Not a big fan of Castrol and I would definitely not use Castrol magnatec range for the i30 diesel in Oz.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I tried the Pentrite HPR 5 last week, quite happy with it , so far.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
A bit off topic again,
Yep, how about reposting this in "fluids". I'm interested in your research as it is, as you know, very time consuming and worth sharing with the hard core here interested in lubrication.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
A bit off topic again,

These are the oils for an i30 diesel I (will) be using for oil changes on my i30 - after extensive research I have found these ALL Comply with Hyundai's standards (For AUSTRALIA ONLY WITHOUT DPF):

NULON 5w40 API CF/SM Long Life (ACEA C3/B4/A3)

Shell Helix ULTRA (not extra) 5w40 (purchased that on a deal will be commenting after service below $50)

Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (on a deal at Repco at the moment below $50)

Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B4

Penrite HPR DIESEL 5 (5w40 this is a semi-synthetic but penrite recommend it for the diesel even over their full synthetic range - I have also got this on a deal 10L for less than $90).

Not a big fan of Castrol and I would definitely not use Castrol magnatec range for the i30 diesel in Oz.

You might want to add Castrol Edge Titanium 0W40 to the list, i30niko.....I currently use it and so far I'm more than happy with it....  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal