i30 Owners Club

Dangerous Kumho Tyres

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Perhaps I should add that one tyre was much worse than the other. Audi checked the tracking and found no problem and I am not a hard driver (no cornering on two wheels and a door handle).

The faulty front tyres were replacements fitted approx 15000 miles/18 months before and still had 6mm of tread left - the rear tyres had been on the car from new and not yet in need of replacing. Hence the front and rear tyres - although identical make and spec - were from different batches. I therefore assumed that the faulty tyres must have come from an iffy batch.

I sold the car 6 months later and bought my i30.

I am still to this day amazed that a rubber tyre was capable of making such a loud and "mechanical" noise.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yeah, my Dad had a tread do the same thing @ 110kph. Fortunately it was a rear and the tread was hitting the mudguard, got our attention pretty quickly.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Well I have the car booked in tomorrow morning with Hyundai ( they want to see it before I go to the Tyre shop). I don't know who they use but was told I would be sent too one that does all there warranty work.

Surferdude I am close to liverpool and am happy for one of your mates to look at it, But first I want to cross all my T's and dot the I's with Hyundai, they need to check the CV shaft and suspension. I do warranty work myself and I know how they try to worm out of things, I have had to argue many cases on behalf of my own customers because I hate to see people burnt.

The only other problem could be time, I work 60 hours a week and have a baby to drag around with me when I am home :sweating:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow that was a bit of a close shave Alan  :sweating:

Unusual that two tyres did that hey Trev?

Not as unusual as we would like Dazz. But much less of an issue these days - which is not to say it doesn't happen, as Alan's experience proves.
Alan, those tyres, as faulty, should have been pro rata claims. Did you get an allowance on the replacements?
Coz you can be sure the dealer did.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Not as unusual as we would like Dazz. But much less of an issue these days - which is not to say it doesn't happen, as Alan's experience proves.
Alan, those tyres, as faulty, should have been pro rata claims. Did you get an allowance on the replacements?
Coz you can be sure the dealer did.
It was a wrangle - they quoted me £108 each and offered to fit & balance them free. I went onto the internet and found I could buy identical tyres for about £75 each with free delivery to my home.  The tyre shop were reluctant to fit the internet tyres for free so I told them I would write to Dunlop and make an issue of it. They relented and I finished up paying £108 for two new tyres including fitting (which was half their quoted price - even though the tyres still had more than 50% tread left on them).
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Today did not go well at all, to say I am angry is a understatement. I was booked in for 9am and told they would drive it and put it up the hoist to inspect the tyres suspension and CV shaft.

After waiting 45min with baby in tow, the test drive was done in heavy traffic (without me) and could never have reached more than 60kph. The car was not inspected after that and when I asked about it I was told with some hesitation yes the serviceman had a look under it and everything was fine, that was a lie it never moved after the test run. 

I am so angry right now I cant think strait ,I have owned Hyundai's since 1996 but this one will probably be my last.

I will be emailing Hyundai but only when I cool down.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Now go to YOUR tyre shop not theirs & get some proper treatment.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Now go to YOUR tyre shop not theirs & get some proper treatment.  :fum:

I will but I have to make the time, I will probably have to take some time of work to get it looked at, like most people these days I am flat out making ends meet.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's shoddy service. Contact the DP and tell him that if he doesn't arrange for the car to be looked at properly, you'll take it to the RACQ or equivalent and have them take a look, if they find or replicate the fault, you'll be there to have it fixed and have the cost of the diagnostic work paid by them.

Oh and see if they can pick the car up from your home/workplace since they stuffed it up the first time.

See if that shocks them into action.

Dealers don't like warranty work because it doesn't make as much money.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Dealers don't like warranty work because it doesn't make as much money.

Yes they know how to charge for a service, for them to do a 15,000k service is $320 and all they do is the engine oil and filter.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Wait until you see what they want for the 30k......

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Well yesterday i went to my local Kumho dealer and said I have a possible warranty issue for him to look at, he didn't know what to do so he rang kumho and was told to take them off and inspect them,if they are no good they will replace them, so far so good I thought. But he was to busy to do it right away and I would have to come back tomorrow, OK I am nothing if not flexible.  :happydance:

So I finish work early again and arrive at the tyre shop only for him to ring Kumho again and be told that IF the tyre is the problem that I would have to pay 75% of the new tyre cost to have them replaced , I nearly feel of my chair. Just think about it, I buy a car with new tyres that are S___T and am told I have to pay for the privilege of replacing them. :fum:

I have emailed Peter Warren Hyundai about this and also Hyundai but have had no response as yet, and I wont be holding my breath waiting for one. :disapp:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think old mate is full of it. The usual deal is a pro rata ie you pay only for what you have used.

Your tyre warranty is in your service booklet. It should be there in black and white what is covered and how etc.

My car is getting its 45k service done, so I cant check right now.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just checked, under 25% wear = full replacement tyre including balancing and fitting.

Think he is avoiding the job.

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
I have been on the phone to Kumho and they are saying pro rata, but I have only 8800k's on them and I have complained about this since new. I have got the price down a bit but I don't see why i should pay a cent.

That's assuming they think the tyres are at fault. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:39:12 by diesellover »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have been on the phone to Kumho and they are saying pro rata, but I have only 8800k's on them and I have complained about this since new. I have got the price down a bit but I don't see why i should pay a cent.

That's assuming they think the tyres are at fault. :rolleyes:
The mileage you've completed is irrelevant in calculation of pro rata. They measure the tread and calculate it as a percentage of a new tyre.
But, be aware, Kumho has the option to do them FOC if you  push your case hard enough. If it were me in Kumho's shoes (depending on the actual wear), I'd probably be suggesting a 20% charge and if it fixes your problem it's money well spent. However, if they stick to their guns, It's not worth retaining the Kumhos. Just tell them you'll move to another brand.
I'd also be looking for a tyre dealer who a/ knows his products and b/ knows his suppliers well enough to be able to handle that problem without reference to them.
It's a pretty simple job to remove the wheels, run them up by hand on a balancer and mark the high and/ or low spots on the tyres. Then you simply present them to your rep next time he calls and he'll do the paperwork on the spot.
That's how Goodyear, Dunlop and last I checked Bridgestone and Yokohama works.
Same for Tyre and Tube Australia who import a number of cheaper brands.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee you are a handy guy to have around Trev  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
I have called out the big guns now, I handed it over to my wife :evil: She has been ripping them a new one all afternoon. I know how that feels, they will be sorry. :rofl:

ps I do love my wife but bugger me your stuffed if you get on her wrong side :D

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nice,

Are they over 25% used? because the warranty in the glovebox is fairly straightforward.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ps I do love my wife but bugger me your stuffed if you get on her wrong side :D

I've got one like that too  :lol: :mrgreen:

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Well I had no joy with the tyre people, I am told all is good.  I was not allowed in the workshop to see for myself but I suppose I should take their word for it. I don't know what to do next, I suppose I could change the tyres anyway to be 100% sure but it would have to be after Xmas when I can find the $. Perhaps the best thing is just drive it and see if it becomes worse and therefore more easy to diagnose.

However I did have a strange thing happen a couple of days ago that's got me unsure what to think, I was driving at about 60kph and the car shock fairly hard like a very out of balance wheel but then it stopped as soon as it started, It has never done that before or since  :undecided:

Anyway I am going shooting this weekend to blow of some steam and hang out with the boys, after all who needs all this aggro life is too short. :goodjob:

Ps. thanks for listening and all the advice.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I feel your frustration Diesellover  :undecided: :'(

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well I had no joy with the tyre people, I am told all is good.  I was not allowed in the workshop to see for myself but I suppose I should take their word for it. I don't know what to do next, I suppose I could change the tyres anyway to be 100% sure but it would have to be after Xmas when I can find the $. Perhaps the best thing is just drive it and see if it becomes worse and therefore more easy to diagnose.

However I did have a strange thing happen a couple of days ago that's got me unsure what to think, I was driving at about 60kph and the car shock fairly hard like a very out of balance wheel but then it stopped as soon as it started, It has never done that before or since  :undecided:

Anyway I am going shooting this weekend to blow of some steam and hang out with the boys, after all who needs all this aggro life is too short. :goodjob:

Ps. thanks for listening and all the advice.
Dieslelover,
go have fun with your friends.
Then, if you want to go further, pm me with the name of the tyre place. There has to be someone close by who'll look at the tyres with you.
I can't understand why they wouldn't let you in (supervised) to the workshop. Did they re-balance the tyres or just say they were OK. And has it made any difference to your vibration problem?

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
They did not re-balance them, I was told they spun up all zero's and ran true.

As for the shooting trip my mate just rang and cancelled, the army is sending him to townsville.  My week is just getting better  :rolleyes:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So, any vibration still?

Offline diesellover

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Panania nsw
Yep still has some vibes but you cant feel them if I stay under 80K's. but I have to let it go for now as I am to busy this time of the year to lose any more time from work stuffing about with it.

I am planing a couple of long trips over Xmas, so I will see how it behaves when the tyres are really hot. I have only done about 400K's on the freeway since I have owned it so this will be a nice test.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi Guys.....given the chat re these tyres...., this may seem like a strange request, but has anyone got a really good nick Kumho Solus 195/65/15 KH15 91 H? maybe an unused spare that was set aside when their rubber was upgraded or larger rims were fitted... :whistler:

Its a long story,  but this tread pattern is not made any more, they have KH 17 and KH18, not KH15  and they are different patterns. I was told this was going to happen some time back and given that I was having some suspect wear on the front of the CW, I grabbed 2 and stashed them in a dark place, for "ron". :goodjob2:

Then the wife had a flat and stuffed the tyre,     :'(     so......there went one of my new tyres. Now I want to use up the one I have and  so need a mate for it!!

I was going to buy 4 new tyres and use the Kumho as a spare, but a set of bargain Hyundai mags came up and so there went my budget for now.. :faint:

Can anyone help?     I am Sydney.

Cheers
  Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Better off posting a "wanted" in the For Sale/Wanted section maybe, Syd ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
yes... that crossed my mind.... will do, thanks Shambles.
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal