i30 Owners Club

Spare wheel well

baroudeur · 47 · 16124

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have an i30 Comfort with space saver spare.  The Premium model has 17" wheels with a full size spare .  I notice that there are plastic inserts designed to accept screws around the boot floor and the floor immediately behind the rear seats is somewhat higher than the rest of the floor.  Is there a false floor  fitted to these screws in the Premium to raise the height to allow the 17" wheel to lie flus or is the well deeper /wider in the Premium model to accommodate the 17" wheel?
As I now have a set of winter wheels I would like to use one as a full size spare  if I can get a flat boot floor when it is in the well.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Hey Baradeur

Some of the older non premium models also came with a full size spare wheel, not sure why Hyundai changed to the space saver, tho it does make a the boot about 2-3 inches deeper.

To answer your question, the only thing possible would be to buy the plastic dividers that help raise the floor up from you local dealer, or acquire from a scrap/breakers yard.

The mounting points should already be on your boot flower to allow them to screw in. Only disadvantage would be that your mounting point/hooks would need to be changed to longer ones also, to allow for the higher load line.
The boot well is the same spec for all i30 hatches in terms of widths and circumference, but only differs in the height with your example.
Advantage of the raised load level is you acquire some neat under-floor cubby holes, ideal for storage of hi-vis jackets, first aid kits, locking nuts etc, without rattling in your spare wheel well. Also make the floor level completely flat when the seats are folded down :)

Hope this helps
Sye
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent explanation thanks Sye .. Good on you  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Excellent explanation thanks Sye .. Good on you  :goodjob:
Cheers Daz, thought it might be a tad long winded. The mothers car has the full size wheel :) I unfortunately.fortunately dont, allows more room for the boot build

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
To answer your question, the only thing possible would be to buy the plastic dividers that help raise the floor up from you local dealer, or acquire from a scrap/breakers yard.

There is one more way - it is to cut the dividers from a foam plastic  :mrgreen:
If anyone is interested I can post a link to Russian i30 forum with detailed photos

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

There is one more way - it is to cut the dividers from a foam plastic  :mrgreen:
If anyone is interested I can post a link to Russian i30 forum with detailed photos
That's a good idea, would it be easy to do? And how cost effective? The oem stuff also has built in elastic straps to keep stuff fastened down, also would look better for resale purposes. OEM would last longer also surely

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

That's a good idea, would it be easy to do? And how cost effective? The oem stuff also has built in elastic straps to keep stuff fastened down, also would look better for resale purposes. OEM would last longer also surely
Easy enough and one has to pay for a foam plastic only, which is cheap
Here is a link to the forum with photos
http://www.hyundai-iclub.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=2043

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Thanks.  I have pondered over same problem - having suffered 3 punctures already on my i30 (in less than 2 years) I don't want to be stuck having to use the space saver more than to get me to a tyre depot etc.  So having a pukka (albeit winter tyre) in the boot would be preferable.  Another issue I have is that my car has 16" alloys (ie OE wheels & summer tyres), the winter wheels I have are 15", but the tool tray I have will not fit inside the 15" wheel.  I have been scanning Ebay for likely scrap i30's (or maybe a Cee'd?) for the likely pieces, so far to no avail.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Thanks.  I have pondered over same problem - having suffered 3 punctures already on my i30 (in less than 2 years) I don't want to be stuck having to use the space saver more than to get me to a tyre depot etc.  So having a pukka (albeit winter tyre) in the boot would be preferable.  Another issue I have is that my car has 16" alloys (ie OE wheels & summer tyres), the winter wheels I have are 15", but the tool tray I have will not fit inside the 15" wheel.  I have been scanning Ebay for likely scrap i30's (or maybe a Cee'd?) for the likely pieces, so far to no avail.
That plastic foam (polystyrene) by the looks, doesnt look too bad, but if loading a spare wheel out, and a punctures one in, (wet) would that not damage it over time?
Looks ok as a temp fix, but I think if selling on would look better with the OEM, just personal. if you have seen it, you know its a good fit.
C'eed would be different I think.
If you good at carpentry/wood work, something out of MDF etc would be a a better fix maybe?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Many thanks for the replies.

So, the full size spare fits under a false floot screwed to the existing plastic blanks?  What material is used for  this floor?  Must try to get a look at a car with a full size spare at a dealer.
The Russian idea seems good using dense polystyrene foam sheet.  As the spare wheel hole in the pictures is not large enough to remove the wheel it may be better to not cut the hole but lay the sheet over the spare and top it with hardboard..

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Many thanks for the replies.

So, the full size spare fits under a false floot screwed to the existing plastic blanks?
If I get a chance in the next day or two, I'll try to get a few photographs of my mums boot, to let you see how it sits :)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

If I get a chance in the next day or two, I'll try to get a few photographs of my mums boot, to let you see how it sits :)

Thanks.  That is appreciated.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just made a study of the Russian pictures and  I don't think that this a mod to accommodate a full size spare. 
In picture 2 the polystyrene sheet is 50mm thick and sitting on top of whatever is in the spare wheel well  which, presumably, is a space saver wheel because in picture 3 there are  items packed at each side of the foam to make a level surface.  It is unlikely that he has added another 50mm to the height of a full size spare as it wouldn't make sense.
It seems he has just made spaces for storage and levelled the boot floor to lie flush with the rear seats folded down.

Or have I got it wrong?  Anyone read Russian?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

baradeur
You made a right conclusion, though having enlarged the center hole one can fit the full size wheel inside.

I do read Russian  :P; read, write, speak

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

baradeur
You made a right conclusion, though having enlarged the center hole one can fit the full size wheel inside.

I do read Russian  :P; read, write, speak
Wouldn't have thought the diameter of the hole needed increasing, or am i misunderstanding you?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

An idea with foam was borrowed from another guy, who made it for full size wheel
http://www.hyundai-iclub.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=1934&st=0&p=33453&#entry33453
no niches for other items though

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Wouldn't have thought the diameter of the hole needed increasing, or am i misunderstanding you?
well, that guy said that he had cut the center hole, so that its diameter would be equal to the diameter of the tool kit

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

As far as my knowledge goes, all the spare wheel wells are of the same diameter, it wouldn't be cost effective for hyundai to have to make two different sized wheel wells. :/ very confusing :S

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

As far as my knowledge goes, all the spare wheel wells are of the same diameter, it wouldn't be cost effective for hyundai to have to make two different sized wheel wells. :/ very confusing :S
Well I think I know what puzzled you (otherwise I give up and leave to study English harder  :mrgreen:).
When I wrote:"having enlarged the center hole one can fit the full size wheel inside," I meant to increase the hole in that foam sheet, not in the car's structure.
Yes, all wells are of the same diameter.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Well I think I know what puzzled you.
When I wrote:"having enlarged the center hole one can fit the full size wheel inside," I meant to increase the hole in that foam sheet, not in the car's structure
Yes, all wells are of the same diameter.
That makes sense :razz:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

It's not the diameter that's the problem and  I have tried a full size (205/55 x 16)  which fits the space.  However, it projects 65 mm above the metal floor around the well where the space saver spare lies 15mm below the surface and the circular foam jack holder tray adds 10mm to bring it flush with the floor. BTW the foam tray does not fit  into the 16" wheel so something else to modify.
Does the Premium model with 225/45 x 17 wheels have a deeper false floor  to accommodate the extra 20mm or a 205/55 x 16 spare ?

Unless the OE spacers and floor parts are reasonably priced (   :blubber: we're talking Hyundai !!) I don't think I'll bother. 
My last puncture was 40 years ago.  Mustn't tempt fate.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
An idea with foam was borrowed from another guy, who made it for full size wheel
http://www.hyundai-iclub.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=1934&st=0&p=33453&#entry33453
no niches for other items though
Having measured and tried a 205/55 x 16 wheel in the well I suspect that the spare wheel  used in the link you have given is a 185/65 x 15.  The  circular recess cut into the 50mm thick foam sheet seems to indicate that the spare wheel is about 25mm above the floor where a 205/55 is 65 mm higher.
Also removing and replacing that  foam sheet several times is likely to cause it to break up.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Also removing and replacing that  foam sheet several times is likely to cause it to break up.
In fact I haven't punctured any of my car's wheels so far since I got my first car in 2008, so I doubt you would remove and replace the spacer often.  :winker:

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been trying to brainstorm a new place for the space saver spare to be put as I need that space for a subwoofer :cool:  the dimensions I've measured on the spare is 5" width (or height laying down) 23" diameter.  Can anyone think of a new spot?
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been trying to brainstorm a new place for the space saver spare to be put as I need that space for a subwoofer :cool:  the dimensions I've measured on the spare is 5" width (or height laying down) 23" diameter.  Can anyone think of a new spot?

My suggestion is to work your way around the car trying different spots (I don't like your chances) Don't think there is enough room underneath anywhere and definitely no room in the engine compartment.. You might have to revert to a tube of that repair gunk :idea:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
I just had a "sticky" under the car...and I think that the only way would be to remove the plastic fluted cover that "protects" the underside of the wheel well floor and then get a drop down wheel holder like are often fitted to utes and vans.
 It could be then adapted to hinge /pivot from the chassis rail just to the rear of the fuel filler pipes.
 On the exhaust side, there would need to be a bracket welded or bolted to the chassis that will have a "floating bolt, that can be loosened enough to slip out of the bracket and allow the cradle to drop down.

I have this style on my Mitsubishi Express van.. I have taken some photos, but will have to refresh my memory on the use of photobucket to post them..

Otherwise....go for a "continental pack" ah la the 1950's... chrome cover ....    :P ..and maybe a swing away pivot like a modern 4WD... :rofl:

Meanwhile I will post this... :)
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Thanks.  That is appreciated.
apologies for the delay, and awesome iPhone pictures
but hope they give you an idea of the OEM finish.

with the OEM set up, everything sits flush when the seats are down. (I should mention that the 'carpet' cover is actually different from a non full size set up. (stronger)

with the OEM set up you also end up with a small opened cubby hole, handy for work gloves etc.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The pictures do the job Sye (thanks for that)  :goodjob:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Here are the images of the underbody carrier....:

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Looks like you have some other suggestions, but ....the more the merrier... :D
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for those photos too Tony  :goodjob: but do you think there really would be enough ground clearance under the i30 to do that (even with plastic cover removed)  :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal