i30 Owners Club

Faulty tyre pressure valve and sensor

Drum · 62 · 28504

Offline Drum

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Scotland
Interested to know how many i30 owners have had a problem with the valve snapping off? This happened to me today and checking online, I see it seems to be a fairly frequent complaint. Anyone else experienced this?
  • i30 estate

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings Drum and welcome aboard. :neutral:

No
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard Drum.  :razz:  i hope you don't mind but Ive moved your topic to a more appropriate area of the forum.  :winker:  one of our UK members should be able to assist you with the valve stem issue,I'm in Australia and we don't get the [tpsm] tyre pressure system monitoring  on the i30.  :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome.

There have certainly been some issues regarding these. Some form of corrosion for reasons unspecified. It's a warranty issue though.

Here's one link with pictures.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4973.msg52172#msg52172

and another

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4973.msg52172#msg52172
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Hi Drum
Hi Drum

Welcome to the forum.

Just had a valve fail on me, AA man said it looked corroded, have just taken the wheel to the local Hyundai dealer, who says its not a warranty issue. Naturally I said that I heard that it was not uncommon and that in the UK it had been replaced under warranty. The guy at the garage said he would have to contact Hyundai UK to check this and their warranty man wasn't in today. A replacement would cost me about £250, so I said I would rather have the sensors disconnected as it wasn't worth the extra expense.

I will find out tomorrow and will argue the case if I get refused under the warranty, so if any others in the UK have had this done under warranty please let me know, as it will help my case.

I will keep the forum updated.
  • i30 2009, CRDi 1.6 hatch.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Drum
Hi Drum

Welcome to the forum.

Just had a valve fail on me, AA man said it looked corroded, have just taken the wheel to the local Hyundai dealer, who says its not a warranty issue. Naturally I said that I heard that it was not uncommon and that in the UK it had been replaced under warranty. The guy at the garage said he would have to contact Hyundai UK to check this and their warranty man wasn't in today. A replacement would cost me about £250, so I said I would rather have the sensors disconnected as it wasn't worth the extra expense.

I will find out tomorrow and will argue the case if I get refused under the warranty, so if any others in the UK have had this done under warranty please let me know, as it will help my case.

I will keep the forum updated.
lasergirl, what do the other three look like? Is there any evidence of corrosion on them?
Regardless, I would be suggesting that any signs of corrosion are an indication that the metal used was not fit for purpose, given the amount of contaminents on our highways.

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Hey Surferdude

Good point, I will check these in the morning, so will be fully armed when I speak to the dealer.

Thank you

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
How did the valve "fail"? Was it the TPMS system that alerted you?

We've had members report that a valve stem became brittle and snapped off - I think all such reports resulted in a warranty replacement.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
How did the valve "fail"? Was it the TPMS system that alerted you?

We've had members report that a valve stem became brittle and snapped off - I think all such reports resulted in a warranty replacement.

Sorry I wasn't clear about the problem, the TPMS alerted me to 2 tyres that had incorrect pressure both on near side. I went to use air hose at the garage, and checked these 2 tyres and got air in one of them. One tyre was taking ages to increase, not reaching the correct pressure, after several attempts, it appeared to retreat into the alloy wheel and expelled the remaining air in the tyre.

It could well have snapped off inside the pump; I didn't check at the time (didn't think to) as it was peeing down at the time!! So the valve failed before breaking/disappearing.

Pip
In all the years since tubeless tyres have been standard I've never had a valve stem failure nor heard of them being a common point of failure yet there have been numerous posts here re the clever ones with problems. Seems to me that they are sus and ought be warranted. Stand your ground.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In all the years since tubeless tyres have been standard I've never had a valve stem failure nor heard of them being a common point of failure yet there have been numerous posts here re the clever ones with problems. Seems to me that they are sus and ought be warranted. Stand your ground.

Well said Pip and good point  :goodjob:

Lasergirl, Pip is quite old and wise  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
Lasergirl, Pip is quite old...
Yes I am, I remember tubes and I my tyre levers are kept right next to the vulcaniser and rubber mallet.  :lol: They don't get much use these days. :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lasergirl, Pip is quite old...
Yes I am, I remember tubes and I my tyre levers are kept right next to the vulcaniser and rubber mallet.  :lol: They don't get much use these days. :cool:
has your vulcaniser gone hard?
Mine has. I tried to patch a bicycle tube a while back and had to go buy a new one instead. :disapp:

Pip
.. has your vulcaniser gone hard?
I don't even try to patch cycle tubes any more. I just carry a spare under the saddle.  :D

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire

Will do Pip.

Have had a look at the remaining 3, and 1 looks a little sus, so will push hard for a warranty fix.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Push harder. I'm fairly sure those radionic valves are classified as safety devices. After all, they're keeping the air in the tyres aren't they?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I too have read about the valves breaking off, usually when checking / inflating tyres.
I looked at mine a few times since I bought my car & they seem OK.
From what I recall, the corrosion is worse when metal valve caps are used.
I have plastic ones on mine & I spray white grease on to them periodically, hopefully this will keep me outa trouble...
I'll check again at the weekend now... :Pout:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
Dealer called me this afternoon and said the valve wasn't covered under the warranty. I said it was a known issue and that this was inconsitent as others who had got this replaced under warranty. I was advised to call Hyundai UK customer services, have duly done so and given them all the details and they will get back to me in the next day or so.

I stated that it was a safety issue as I could not get air into the tyre before it expelled all the air, and therefore should be covered under the warranty, especially as I was aware of others that had been covered.

I feel this is going to be a long winded battle,  :mad:

I wonder whether the original poster Drum, got on

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Pre 2009 i30 appeared to have TPMS valves that were more likely to be damaged by acidic wheel cleaning solutions, I come to this conclusion from looking at photos of breaks shown on some time ago.  If you use many kinds of wheel cleaner and don't flush it off then they can corrode. It's not just on Hyundais, many other makes of cars had the same issue with the same valves.

I believe but have no evidence that sometime after 2009 the alloy of the stems was changed. Google would tell you.

Knowing there was an issue I never use acidic cleaner, and ocassionally apply vasoline petroleum jelly to the threads and 3 years on they are like new.

The valves are cheap on ebay but you'd need a friendly dealer to pair one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dealer called me this afternoon and said the valve wasn't covered under the warranty. I said it was a known issue and that this was inconsitent as others who had got this replaced under warranty. I was advised to call Hyundai UK customer services, have duly done so and given them all the details and they will get back to me in the next day or so.

I stated that it was a safety issue as I could not get air into the tyre before it expelled all the air, and therefore should be covered under the warranty, especially as I was aware of others that had been covered.

I feel this is going to be a long winded battle,  :mad:

I wonder whether the original poster Drum, got on

Member since 13th October, Last active 12th October  :wacko:

Might be best to PM him Lasergirl.. Feel fre to refer them to this thread if it helps (Hyundai that is)  :goodjob:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Might be best to PM him Lasergirl.. Feel fre to refer them to this thread if it helps (Hyundai that is)  :goodjob:

I might need to delete what I wrote  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I might need to delete what I wrote  :wink:

:confused: Difficult one, because what you said is good advice though  :undecided:

They have set a precedent by replacing some and unless they warn of such risks they should be liable IMO  :cool:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sure, I think there is a valid claim there. It's reasonable for Hyundai to expect owners to use commonly available wheel cleaning fluids, and reasonable for an owner to expect the valves to survive.

After all not everyone is as anal as me. <- I hope the meaning is not lost in translation  :mrgreen:

Offline Lasergirl

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wiltshire
 :D Yay result!

Hyundai UK called me this morning to say that this valve will be replaced under warranty  :happydance:

I was preparing for the long haul on this one, but glad they have seen sense. I hope this helps anyone else who has this happen.

Thanks for your support guys

Fiona

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hyundai UK called me this morning to say that this valve will be replaced under warranty  :happydance:

:goodjob: I bet I knew before you did  :winker:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
:D Yay result!

Result

Now you need to get it booked in for replacement and while in ask about the other 3.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
How many cars today have this type fitted as standard - I guess not too many - because of the fact the stem mounted sensors are so frail.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal