i30 Owners Club

Front tyre wear on inner shoulder

Lasergirl · 37 · 11592

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
With toe out, when the tyres are rolling forward, the tyres are trying to peel off the rim to theoutside, thereby distorting the tyre carcass and putting extra load on the inside of the tread.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's a post on the Hyundai Forums which shows negative and positive camber back to front also.
This is the correct way to look at camber.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Couple of other questions.

What pressure are you running?
What size are the tyres?
Diesel or petrol?
You may have already supplied some of this info but if you could repost here it'd save me looking.  :cool:

Am running usually 38 psi in 16 inch tyres on a CRDI, hence why I am interested in the solution to inside shoulder wear.

Here is a photo of the inside shoulder wear. Ignore the whopping great screw in the tyre.

• MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the pic. That tyre's really screwed. :happydance:
Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
The wear is evident as you say. But for 30,000 klms, not super bad. :happydance:
Once, as an exercise in tyre wear analysis, I took a small group of tyre technicians aroun dto a group of stores and we dug through each store's scrap pile.
At least 3 out of every 4 worn out tyres had uneven wear of some kind. Whilst we didn't have access to distance travelled for each tyre, the staff were often able to give us an approximation and that bore out what I said earlier in this thread (or a similar one :confused:). That was that the longer a tyre lasts, the more likely it is to have some uneven wear apparent.
At soem stage in it's life you can expect a tyre to experience an alignment issue and even after re-adjustment, you can't replace the worn rubber, so although the issue is resolved, it's still going to wear out unevenly.

Your tyres look like they have been subject to about the amount of toe out displayed in the report.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Your tyres look like they have been subject to about the amount of toe out displayed in the report.

Great to have your expert opinion.

I guess that is reassuring, suggesting that by fixing the alignment should it should prevent this in future tyres.

Just one thing, going back to the original report. Are you looking at the total toe or the individual toe figure. Because it would seem that looking at the individual toe figure, only the right side had a significant adjustment, yet both sides showed similar uneven wear.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It doesn't matter whether both sides or only one side is out with toe. The steering compensates by (sort of) self centering itslf, thus speading the load evenly across both tyres. If the steering didn't do that, the car would veer off to the side where the toe out was.
So toe is different to camber for instance, which, if out, will wear the tyre which is out as well as make the car pull.

Hope that makes sense.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal