i30 Owners Club

Brake upgrades

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i threw $2.500 worth of brkes on my v8 fairlane,and then it wanted to stop better :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the sit elantraman mentioned is where i bought most of my brake upgrade,rotors,booster,pads,master cylinder.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
In UK when your car is MOT'd, vehicle check at 3rd birthday and every birthday thereafter, they check the stopping efficiency of the brakes.  If it is outside a defined limit it FAILS.

However, this does not check brake fade, which when applying the brakes and due to length of time before you stop they heat up to a point which causes, usually the pads and or the discs, to subsequently fail. 
To me, brake fade is more important than brake failure, i.e. failure of a mechanical part which hinders the application of the braking system. 

PS most car will have a split braking systems so if one diagonal fails at least you don't loose all braking function. 

It's speed that kills not the braking system. The braking system is just a means to an end!!!

My rant!!

They do that in NSW too Recall Boy, but don't think any other state of australia require brake or road worthy checks after three years, or every year if its a truck?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
It's speed that kills not the braking system. The braking system is just a means to an end!!!

They do that in NSW too Recall Boy, but don't think any other state of australia require brake or road worthy checks after three years, or every year if its a truck?

Speed doesn't kill..........it's the instantaneous stop...............

Lakes I heard something recently about them extending it out to 5 years before an inspection is required.

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its also known as deceleration syndrome. :lol:    if you double your horse power you need to upgrade your brakes. :lol:

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
YAY!  i just picked up my new sports brake dish´s and pads... :P

i cant wait to see the difference.. if any  :mrgreen:

i think ill kit em on tomorrow if i get the tools im missing for it.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

i think ill kit em on tomorrow if i get the tools im missing for it.

Top banana :)

Take pics if you remember - would be good to see it done :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Zangster..

So they cost you about A$4000 ?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi Zangster..

So they cost you about A$4000 ?

ehm no mate.... i thougth it was to expensive so i did not go for full replacement..  i got some same sized disc´s and pads .. just better materials... i added some pictures so u guys can see how its done if anyone thinking about doin it them selfs...  enjoy! :mrgreen:

this just what i used to complete the job.

just removed the wheel using the air power tool.  .. yes... im lazy  :mrgreen:

everything removed...  4 bolts and 2 screws r all u need to remove.

just to compare the old and new disc.

okay.. here we go.... when u change the disc´s u have clean the wheel hub very carefully.. all rush have to come off... use sandpaper.

here i cleaned the brake pad bracket with a brush... do i very carefully and clean the rest with brake cleaner... :) as seen at the next picture.

this is also very important... u have to clean the new disc .. all the rust proctecting oil have to come off... use the break cleaner again for this task.

okay.. this not particular important.. but i like to do it... for one good reason... use never seeze at the wheel hub either on the disc side or just the hub... be careful not to get it all over the place.  oh and the reason why... its easier to remove again when need to change the discs again.

okaaay... these screws hold the disc inplace intill the wheel comes back on... give these never seeze aswell.. for easy assamble and disassamble. 

okay... this is the ticky part some will say... but heres the deal... use never seeze on the back side of the pads and where the pads r sitting in the brake pad bracket to make it move smoothly.

dont get it all over the place... its quickly gets at mess... if some of it come in contact with the pads them selfs... clean em with brake cleaner... same story with the disc´s  :P :P

here i have fitted the pads... use alittle force when u put em into the bracket..

okay... now its time for push back the caliber piston to make room for the new pads... use the thingy i use at the picture. or what ever u like...  :mrgreen:

okay .. this is just me . its not that important either.. but i like my brakes clean... use a brush and brake cleaner to remove all hard brakedust sittin at the caliber.

okay.. almost done now... just put in the 2 bolts.. im point my finger at one at the picture. and tighten it up....

FINISHED!

now u just have pump the brake pedal till it gets "normal"hard again....  wheels on and time test drive it... dont make any hard brakings...  ill reckon... 300-500km... :D after that the brakes should be all good to take some punishment... muhahahha  :lol: :razz: :evil:

i hope made my self clear here.. :D anyway.. feel free to ask..

cheers  all

regards... dan aka zhangster

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Brilliant mate, just brilliant :D

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Brilliant mate, just brilliant :D

yeah i hope its useful for ppl who wanna safe some few bucks changing the brakes them selfs.. :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that Dan.. Looks simple enough (you'll have to let us know how they perform when they are bedded in) and is there good pedal feel?

Would you mind advising what brand of disc and pad you used (and an approximate cost)

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thanks for that Dan.. Looks simple enough (you'll have to let us know how they perform when they are bedded in) and is there good pedal feel?

Would you mind advising what brand of disc and pad you used (and an approximate cost)

okay.. ill do that... regard the brand... pads r from a corperation called : ferodo 

i took those cuz i have only heard good things about those pads...

the disc r : http://iam.delphi.com/en-gb/products/braking/brakediscs.htm

none of the parts from china or some cheap shit.

prices...

pads costed 98.33 $

disc´s costed : 158.59 $

cheers Dan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanx M8.. Ferodo are well known over here too..

Sounds like a good value upgrade..

Thanx again  :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good pricing info Dan, and excellent English too I have to say. Much better than my Danish ;)

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thanx M8.. Ferodo are well known over here too..

Sounds like a good value upgrade..

Thanx again  :D

no problem mate....  well only time will tell if it was a good investment.. and im also lookin forward to hear what my local hyundai dealership is gonna say when i getting my next service. :D

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Good pricing info Dan, and excellent English too I have to say. Much better than my Danish ;)

hahahaha :) aye i would love to hear u talk some danish  :lol:

færdig arbejde!  = jobs done  :mrgreen:

Dan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

no problem mate....  well only time will tell if it was a good investment.. and im also lookin forward to hear what my local hyundai dealership is gonna say when i getting my next service. :D

From what one member said his dealer wouldn't even notice (don't say anything and see if they notice)  :lol:

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

From what one member said his dealer wouldn't even notice (don't say anything and see if they notice)  :lol:

yeah i probably should...  could be fun to see their reaction if they spot it..  :mrgreen:  tho i think it will be hard to miss...its all shiney..  my next services is in less than 4000km... which is like top 2 months from now. its my 60000km service.

dan

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I knew that :P

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

I knew that :P

:lol:  the only word i reckon u know that is danish is : carlsberg ....  mmmh beer!  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:lol:  the only word i reckon u know that is danish is : carlsberg ....  mmmh beer!  :mrgreen:

Fair point, although I also know the words Lars Ulrich and Brigitte Nielsen :P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Looks same as my Ford uses, normaly cheap to replace and don't need to machine just remove disc's get new ones. they also float so helps too.

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark

Oi good fellows... time for a update... :)

passed 800km after i changed the front brakes.....  been doin highway and low speed roads :P and it brakes really good...   

it respond as it should and it got some bite to it... first a gently push at the brake and it brakes smoothly down to an halt... pushing it abit more and u end up kissing ya windscreen... :)     my point is: great upgrade...  atleast so far.. gonna push it abit harder later... but for now im happy with  the result.  :mrgreen:

my advice to to guys who needs a good brake upgrade : BUY BUY BUY  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update Gangster Zhangster :) sounds like you did a great job and are happy :D

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Thanks for the update Gangster Zhangster :) sounds like you did a great job and are happy :D

YUP and its my ganster car :)

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi Guys,

I just noticed the thread today, but since I did upgrade the brakes on our i30 for Targa West I though I'd share my thoughts. The rotors on the i30 are huge for the size of the car (as large as you can fit in the 15" rims anyway), so I decided to keep them. The calipers are single piston, but they accommodate pads that are quite large compared to other compact cars, so we kept them too. I ended up changing the pads with Ferodo DS3000 - a great racing compound, but quite noisy for road use.

The stopping power is more than enough, even for the R-type tyres we used during the race. One thing that I will do next year is replace the original fluid with a higher temperature rating one - day two was very slippery this year and I had to left foot brake a lot to keep the car on the right line, so the fluid boiled on the longest stage - not a big problem, as the brakes were still good, but the pedal feel became quite spongy. Other than that I did not have any troubles at all, and I doubt that during normal road use and on street tyres you could get the brakes to fade with an upgraded set of pads. I would choose the DS2500 for road use, or a similar quick-road compound.

As for the rear brakes - leave them as they are. The car is nose-heavy and when you brake hard there is nearly no load on the rear wheels.

Raz

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal