i30 Owners Club

Trip computer - 999.9km

Thumper · 16 · 5020

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, Hyundai are you listening?

Why the heck do you advertise that the i30 can do OVER 1,000km per tank, yet DO NOT provide a trip meter that goes past 999.9km  :evil:

(Also, on the Hyundai website, it shows the i30 has an instant consumption read out. All I can find is an average consumption readout on mine!)

Offline diegoi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I've never seem my trip computer more than 600 (with the full tank) is that all right????

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Diego...

Might be at cross purposes here.. Thumper is talking about the Trip meter not the distance to empty.

The distance to empty readout is very conservative but if yours never reads above 600 then you are being a bit cautious will your filling up. If you fill her slowly and watch for the "froth" you can squeeze an extra 10 ltrs or more in but check your wallet first! Then your distance to empty might go up to say 750 (but hopefully you'll get 1000kms...)

Rgds,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dazz, either that or his trip is showing MILES not KM

I can get to 640 miles before I need a refill
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Some time ago I posted (can't remember where) that I got a DTE in the low 900kms.  Remember, ouri30 has done over 15 000km, and I suspect that as you do more kms, the computer starts to work out that the DTE is way above the earlier conservative 600kms.

But then I f****d it up by disconnecting the battery, and the trip computer lost its info.  This confirmed my suspicions as the DTE has gone down into the low 600kms again when I fill up.  No matter though, as I will achieve 1200km for the tank before filling up tomorrow.  I suspect that then the DTE will rise to somehwere in the 700 - 800 kms.  Over time, it will get up where it used to be (unless I disconnect the battery again).

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Bob,

I agree with you on this one. Partly because you are highly regarded in this cub and undoubtabley a very clever individual, but also because i have experienced the same readings on my trip computer.
When i first got the car, the dte used to generally read around 650 dte. Now with over 6000k on the clock, it generally reads at around 750-800 dte. These figures run off your current econ ave. If you reset the trip computer on a trip where better than average fuel econ is current, than the dte re-adjusts and i have found that it may than give a reading in the 900's. Even this is a conserative figure given that most of our members have already pushed their CRDi models past the magic 1000k number. :)

ouri30
Eyma,

Agree completely.  Now, with just under 17 000km (will be over that tomorrow), I consistently can eek out 1100km and often  up to and just over 1200km per tank.  It is during the last 200km that I really take notice of the DTE, and even then, with careful driving, I can travel further than the 200km before having to fill up.  

I am not 100% certain, but I have found that the DTE stops giving a read out at around 50km to go.  Can anyone else confirm this?

Bob

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "ouri30"
Eyma,

Agree completely.  Now, with just under 17 000km (will be over that tomorrow), I consistently can eek out 1100km and often  up to and just over 1200km per tank.  
Bob

Any hints for the lead-footed amongst us Bob? I havent managed to get past 900 yet

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Yeah mine stops at 50km then goes blank, does anyone roughly know how much is left in the tank after that/

ouri30
We have to assume it is 50km, provided you continue to drive the way you are driving.  I've never tried getting the 50km.  I've filled up asap when the trip computer dte stops giving a readout.

Once, when I was testing the trip computer (http://www.i30ownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38), I stopped after 1230km, having done about 6k more after the trip computer stopped registering.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Oz,

Due to colder conditions down here (at this time of the year) I'm not getting much over 1000 km's at the moment but think I drive pretty frugally in the circumstances.

My method is to leave the T.C. in Ltrs per 100km mode and feather the accelerator as much as possible so that you are just keeping up with the other traffic (around town and on the highway) if the reading goes up I press even lighter and keep the revs between about 1500 & 2000 as much as I can!

For those with a poverty pack (nor T.C.) guess it's the same story just have to fly blind so to speak...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Thanks Dazz - yeah I'm trying to keep it under 2000rpm as much as I can now (really hard though as its just so much fun hehe)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hey Oz,

Due to colder conditions down here (at this time of the year) I'm not getting much over 1000 km's at the moment but think I drive pretty frugally in the circumstances.

My method is to leave the T.C. in Ltrs per 100km mode and feather the accelerator as much as possible so that you are just keeping up with the other traffic (around town and on the highway) if the reading goes up I press even lighter and keep the revs between about 1500 & 2000 as much as I can!

For those with a poverty pack (nor T.C.) guess it's the same story just have to fly blind so to speak...

Cheers,

Dazz

Dazz, this is now where the cover over the intercooler will help you!  :D (You'll feel the Fly-By-Wire throttle help with slight acceleration when you do this. As the ECU starts to drop the acceleration, change to the next gear.)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
but that means driving too slow thumper :P

only saving grace is going along the m7, all too easy to go quick tho :|

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Thumper,

Bit scared to use cover over intercooler without the sensors that you use to monitor temperature (don't want to cook anything or void my warranty) but would luv to improve the economy...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "Thumper"
I've noticed that as soon as you go over 2,000rpm, you start to use allot more fuel. Keeping it between 1,500-2,000rpm is the most economical.

Though I have found that between 1st gear to 4th gear you can drop down to 1,000rpm, then accelerate up to 1,500rpm. 5th gear if you try this, the engine will chug and jerk about.

Also, when you take off from the lights, do not use the throttle for the first 2 gears. Once you hit third, then slowly accelerate away.  :D (You'll feel the Fly-By-Wire throttle help with slight acceleration when you do this. As the ECU starts to drop the acceleration, change to the next gear.)

You've just described my i30 driving style perfectly!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal