i30 Owners Club

The KEYS again A CAN of WORMS

Dave · 13 · 5985

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
I have been informed that if you loose the SERVICE KEY. That is not the security Smart Fob Key
You can't get another, as it is peculiar to your vehicle and unknown by a number, as one would expect!
        Now the SMART Key:   Senario:     You are down say the Snowy Mountains and loose ithe Fob Key.  The car is locked and the front wheels are turned a bit.
        OK You can't ring up for a key, as your key is not recorded?
        They can't tow your car as the wheels are turned
         Just as much trouble putting it onto a trailer
         OK somehow they get it to a Hyundai dealer and all he can do is smash a window to get in, then they have to replace  the whole key barrel of the car. Then supply a new Smart Key to suit.
         I don't think you would get out of a situation like that for under $2000?  All for the sake of Hyundai not suppling spare keys!
    Hope someone can advise of an easier way??? :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dave,

Most owners should have a 2nd key fob now (or at least a promise of one). If not they need to get their skates on (or ask for help from us)

My dealer has a key register for each i30 owner (probably all their customers) and they give you a tag as per photos to put with your keys in case you should lose them.

Guess if I lose mine and they don't get handed in they can look in their register for my key number... If other owner's dealers don't do this might be worth suggesting it to them!

Rgds,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
They won't give me second key ... I have to pay ... I even complained to Hyundai Cust Service and got the reply below..

I didn't bother pursuing it after this .. are you saying this site has some pull in this regard ?

Hyundai Motor Company Australia appreciates the time and effort you have
taken to notify us of the concerns you have raised in your correspondence.

Let me thank you for your purchase of our new European design i30.
As this vehicle was designed for the European market the vehicle only comes
with a single flip key. This is standard feature for their market; we have
been required to take this onboard for ours. Thus, any additional key will
need to be purchased separately.
Currently Australia is the only country outside Europe to have the i30
available.

Again we appreciate your feed back.

Kind Regards

Nick Christopoulos
Customer Service Consultant
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
I got a small bit of plastic holding my two fobs together when i got my car,
it had a hand written number on it. I threw this away because it didn't
look important

Offline ccy

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Quote from: "i30Dave"
I got a small bit of plastic holding my two fobs together when i got my car,
it had a hand written number on it. I threw this away because it didn't
look important
Instead of handwritten, mine was printed. I think that is the secret for the remote lock.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
As you all know I'm waiting on Hy UK supplying a 2nd key fob for free. They agreed after I complained on only receiving 1 key fob and 1 spare key (non keyfob). Shambles is also waiting, unless he has his now.

Mine has been delayed as it's somewhere between UK and Korea on the boat! Why can't they send it by post!!

In UK all i30's now supplied come with 2 key fobs and a spare.  From reading postings on this and HF site a number of OZ owners have successfully obtained a 2nd  key for free.

So,  foxey, get onto the dealer and explain this and hopefully they will get you a 2nd key for free.

Keep pestering them and ask them to contact cust services saying they have already set a president.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Still waiting for mine too, but I've been promised it.

It's all down to you foxey to keep pushing - don't just give up.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Foxey,

The Hyundai official line is still as per the letter they sent you...but our members appear to have had over 90% success rate getting a 2nd key fob for free by hounding their dealer. IN some cases a simple ask. In my case asked the Salesman then the service Manager on several instances until I got a result (took about a month) It appears all new i30's now come with two keys so that adds fuel to your argument....

Where this site comes in is that there are details in various threads of Dealers who were helpful with this matter (the details of which you can give to your dealer to hopefully shame them into a free 2nd fob) There is a similar amount about this matter on Hyundai-forums site with dealer info etc... too.

If dealer still unresponsive refer him to these threads on this site and on H-F...

Good luck,

Dazz

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
Re another Key   Hyundai agents CANNOT supply a fob key by number. They need your original key, so the program can be copied from it!   What happens is that they get you a new fob and then call you in to copy the code into it from ur existing key. Ok if you have lost the key, a new barrell and matching key has to be sourced and installed.
Continuing they  then get a blank key out of stock and take your existing key and blank to a locksmith for ctting and finally insert it in the fob. This happened for me yesterday and they did me the favour of supplying it at the wholesale price of $250 for fob, $33.11 key blank and $31.82 cutting a total of $351.43 (that is better thanthe retail of about $425)         However re the non fob service key, these are NOT available, you get one and that's it! or as I am told by my agent's service dept.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dave,

So you lost which key? the electronic one? And they did you a favour by discounting a replacement...

You only got one electronic and one service key to start with I assume. I would harp until I got a 2nd electronic key for nix if I was you (as most others have) so you don't have to go through all that if you lose another...

Bit scary how it all works. If you battery goes flat and you lose your code (and don't have a spare key) guess you're in the Pooh too..- so to speak)

Thanks for the update. All a bit surprising (all the more reason for supplying two remote keys in the first place)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
Hi Daz, no I did not loose either the fob or service key!  The exercise was to get an ADDITIONALl fob key, where it came out as explained earlier.
Dave
ps There were no give aways yet grrr, but I think Hyundai could not have got worse publicity if they had paid for it. Friends of mine laughed at my one key dilemma and said who would buy an i30 after that!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dave,

Sorry for misunderstanding... Was it a quote or did you part with the $$$ already?

Point them at this tread and the others on here and H-F regarding the Key saga (might make them wake up)

It's not fair if you have to pay for a 2nd key when we have all managed to get one for nix...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
Yes Daz I forked out the cash and now have a spare Smart Key!!      However I can't understand why it is not possible to get a spare service key?????   I think Hyundai should find out who did the sourcing with one key and give him/her another job?   Better still for Hyundai to send every i30 buyer a spare fob and blank key so as each can be updated to match the one lonely key!!
   My son bought a Mercedes and it has 2 keys, but replacement cost is $800, albeit that this fob operates windows and sets electric seat position.  Rubbish re Europe only needing one key!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal