Sudden Loss Of Tyre Pressure.

AlanHo · 4 · 10508

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The temperature was minus 4oC this morning after 3 days of heavy rain, flooded roads and now snow. The car was last used yesterday evening without a tyre pressure warning and was parked overnight under a 3 inch blanket of snow which was the very devil to remove this morning . It was no longer fluffy snow - instead solid aerated ice.

When I started it, I got a low tyre pressure warning on just one tyre - 24 psi when the other 3 were reading 36 psi.

I inflated it to 36 psi, went shopping, and the pressure on all 4 tyres crept up to 38 psi after driving 5 miles - which is normal behaviour.

I returned home 4 hours ago and all 4 tyres are still reading 36 psi.

It would appear that the errant tyre does not have a puncture so I am not sure what caused the considerable loss of air.

My only thought, probably crazy, is that water got inside the valve cap - it froze overnight, the trapped ice expanded, and pushed against the valve spindle. Thus releasing air

Is this really plausible?

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'd be checking for a nail/screw.

It is now 23.10 and I have just got back after taking the car for a short run to check the tyre pressures. With my Niro the tyre pressure display after starting the engine is blank and stays so until the car has done a quarter mile or so, then it displays the pressure in each wheel.

All 4 wheels are the same - at 36 psi.

So the plot thickens - why one wheel lost 12 psi last night remains a mystery.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd be checking for a nail/screw.

It is now 23.10 and I have just got back after taking the car for a short run to check the tyre pressures. With my Niro the tyre pressure display after starting the engine is blank and stays so until the car has done a quarter mile or so, then it displays the pressure in each wheel.

All 4 wheels are the same - at 36 psi.

So the plot thickens - why one wheel lost 12 psi last night remains a mystery.
Can't be a nail if the pressure is still holding.
Your ice in the valve core theory would appear sound. But if the valve caps were right, I can't see how water got in.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal