i30 Owners Club

Cruise control i30 GD - Just replacing steering wheel switches?

Offline flutacker

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Mainz
Hi!

Does anyone know if it's possible to add the cruise control by just replacing the switches at the steering wheel?

It's a 2012 i30 GD 1.4 CRDI sold as "Intro Edition" here in germany. Unfortunately the only the station wagon is equipped with auto cruise. But for some reasons I  did not buy the station wagon :-)

The combination of switches I would need seems to be quite rare. I'd need both sides of the steering switches to be replaces because in my car volume and mute is on the left, seek and source button on the right side of the steering wheel. There are no buttons on the lower left side as I do not have bluetooth and voice recognition. But on the lower right side, I do have three buttons: flex steer, trip and reset. The station wagon's version has all audio control on the left part and cruise control on the right side.

Found something on ebay but without fley steer button.
I asked the seller, if a combination with cruise contral was available but I only received an auto-answer which is actually not an answer to my question.

Does anyone know if you just need to replace it and where to get the switches from???

Here's a picture of what I'm looking for!
  • Hyundai i30 GD 1.4 CRDI

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi flutacker

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new car.

Sorry to say I cant help with your question.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome flutacker.

I would only be guessing as am not aware of anyone adding cruise on the GD model, however I suspect it would involve a lot more than just getting the right buttons... Would involve wiring looms etc..

Browse the how-to section of this forum or use the search function to find a thread about adding it to the previous FD model (not that straight forward sorry)  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline flutacker

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Mainz
Hmmm...

I've got this answer from the ebay seller:

"At my research in Elantra forums in Korea, from 2013 Hyundai Elantra, the Auto Cruise function is alive in ECU. So, after replace these switch and extension wire, you just need to wire from Clock Spring to ECU. Then, Audio control and Auto cruise will work.
But, if your car is 2011-2012 Elantra model, you also need to ECU upgrade. If not, Auto Cruise will not work.
Please note that this information is just for Korea domestic Elantra (Avante MD), But overseas Elantra may have different option.
Thanks,"

So it's sound quite easy... but I'm concerned about : "...you need to wire from clock spring to ECU." which usually can't be done easily.

I already googled in german and english but I guess I will not find an answer unless I am willing to learn korean  :rolleyes:

I'm also surprised that a wire to the ECU is needed in times of CAN and so on...

So i assume i still have to wait for an answer. It's now only one year since the GD was introduced in germany. :(

But thanks for your welcome and replies! :-)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Be patient flutacker .. We have a broad member base and some only come on occasionally  :winker:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
flutacker welcome to the forum,you have posed a question which I have always wondered about,be interesting to see some of the answers,the first I30 we bought was a poverty pack,which does not have ANY controls on the wheel,but we did have an aftermarket CC fitted works OK but not real pleased with how it is mounted,I did ask the dealer of our second I30(this one was the fully optioned on)he told me all these controls COULD be fitted,but as usual at a cost.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Parcer

• 1st Gear

• ru Russian Federation
      Moscow Russia
Hello , im new member here  :)
What i can say , i found in web that you have to do a simple operation .
1) you have to buy Tis parts ,
2)replace them
3) enjoi your CC and speed limitter

ps
1)extension wire is mandatory
2) it is tested on I30 with automatic transmission 1.6 petrol base edition(in some contries it is called Comfort or classic ) , made inczech republic ,and it is works  .
3) not shure that Flex steering works.

Soon im going to upgrede my i30 too  :D - CC is useful i think

Regards.
  • i 30 new

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline flutacker

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Mainz
Hello again!

I'm still looking for a solution on this topic. I wasn't able to find out much more...

I'd like to hear if "Parcer" succeeded in adding cruise control to his car!

I found out, that there are three electrical circuits handling all the buttons at the steering wheel. The first one is for the illumination. The second one is for Audio and bluetooth, the third for "Trip" and cruise controls.

Each button is a resistor with a different value. So if you add the cruise switches all the audio controls move to the other side of the steering wheel and somehow puzzles the wiring.

Is there anybody out there who tried to manipulate the wiring? Another user found a Hyundai dealer who also wanted to know if adding cruise was possible. So they added the switches and connected the connectors but not a single switch was operative.

So we still don't know if cruise control is preprogrammed in the ECU. Please let us know if there is any new information!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hello again!

I'm still looking for a solution on this topic. I wasn't able to find out much more...

I'd like to hear if "Parcer" succeeded in adding cruise control to his car!

If he doesn't reply try "PMing" him!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal