i30 Owners Club

i30 car stereo - my thoughts

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

• 2012 i30 hatch auto 1.6L diesel CRDi White
Hi

Since I am an AM/FM enthusiast (I believe the word is....geek  :twisted:) I figure the FM section in the stock car stereo is DSP based, giving excellent sensitivity & selectivity in its RF section.  It can easily receive 99.1 right next to local 99.3. I assume it uses a preamp to compensate for the small antenna? The rotary manual tuning is a real plus when doing a bandscans.  I do wish it had RDS given it uses a colour LCD display. I find the recording feature is great if I receive a particularly good DX catch when traveling

However one downer is the propriety type connector used for the antenna which resembles a UHF antenna rather than for FM. I would like to replace the stock antenna with a longer one for (hopefully) better gain. Any suggestions?

dxer2_2000
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice positive comments there  :goodjob:

Sorry I can't help with your enquiry though.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I replaced my 2011 CRDI stock radio with a Kenwood 6.2" model recently. I can confirm that my car at least does have a booster, so given the antenna size on the newer i30s I would say you have one too. An adaptor for the antenna socket can be bought from most car audio shops, apparently Hy is not the only one to use those stupid little connectors. Replacing the antenna would be a huge job, involving removing part of the roof lining. I would not recommend it unless you have someone handy who has done it before.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Replacing the antenna would be a huge job, involving removing part of the roof lining. I would not recommend it unless you have someone handy who has done it before.

No need to replace the entire unit as there are different antennas that will just screw onto the original base....  :)

I replaced mine with one of these: :link:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Ideally even a receive only aerial should physically be a quarter of the wavelength of the frequency being received. Clearly with the wide-band and multi-band requirements of a domestic receiver that isn't practical so manufacturers compromise with a helically wound rubber aerial. If required an aerial tuning unit could be employed but considering cars are usually constantly moving this might only be of benefit if stationary on top of a large hill.....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
That looks a lot like the new Accent antenna Rusty. My impression from the OP was that he wants to get rid of the antenna complete with cable. Hence my cable replacement comments.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Funny how we read things differently, I read that he wanted a longer antenna with hopefully better gain....  :undecided:

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

• 2012 i30 hatch auto 1.6L diesel CRDi White
the other bad aspect to the HY car stereo is its aggressive blending on FM. Basically stays mono until you can see the tower......Don't be fooled by the "stereo" indicator on the display....

Makes me think these are based on the Pioneer Supertuner architecture

dxer2_2000
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: dxer2_2000
Makes me think these are based on the Pioneer Supertuner architecture

I thought that too :whistler: