i30 Owners Club

Did Anyone See My Huge Smile ?

trev012 · 18 · 4940

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Well, here in the Central belt of Scotland, we had the biggest deluge of snow yesterday that I have ever seen in over 25 years of driving. My normal 25 minute drive home took me close to 5hrs  :'( :'( .  People have been stuck on motorways for up to 20 hours.

However, my wee i30 managed to take it all in its stride with the ESP light flashing at me regularly :goodjob:. It was like skating on ice at times. I might be being a bit naughty here but I really did have a huge smile on my face at some moments when I saw so many "fancy" expensive BMW's and Mercs stuck and abandoned at the side of the road, as they were rear wheel drive and totally useless in the snowy conditions. I mean, cars costing 3 times what mine did and the poor owners were having to walk for miles in the snow. Life really can be a b!tch at times  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Glad to here it worked well, eventhough we haven't had conditions as bad as yours, I'm still very impressed with the car's (and the hankooks!) ability in the snow.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
5 hours! blimey  :eek:

Yeah, but that's nothing in comparison to others.  At least I managed to snuggle into a nice warm bed when others were stuck in their vans/cars at temps -13 C

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Glad to here it worked well, eventhough we haven't had conditions as bad as yours, I'm still very impressed with the car's (and the hankooks!) ability in the snow.
Before I bought the car, I read in some mags and also this site, there were negative reports ]Noise] with the Hankooks. I can honestly say I haven't had any problems and can only praise their performance :goodjob:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Trev, just had a look at the Scottish newspapers on line. Bloody hell...it must be cold over your way.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep, unusually even us Northerners have a bit of sympathy for our Southern bretheren to day :faint:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well, here in the Central belt of Scotland, we had the biggest deluge of snow yesterday that I have ever seen in over 25 years of driving. My normal 25 minute drive home took me close to 5hrs  :'( :'( .  People have been stuck on motorways for up to 20 hours.

However, my wee i30 managed to take it all in its stride with the ESP light flashing at me regularly :goodjob:. It was like skating on ice at times. I might be being a bit naughty here but I really did have a huge smile on my face at some moments when I saw so many "fancy" expensive BMW's and Mercs stuck and abandoned at the side of the road, as they were rear wheel drive and totally useless in the snowy conditions. I mean, cars costing 3 times what mine did and the poor owners were having to walk for miles in the snow. Life really can be a b!tch at times  :lol: :lol: :lol:

You missed a chance there Trev, what you should have done was offer some of the fancy car guys a lift  :-)  pointing out the advantages of ESP and traction control. Now that would have been rubbing there noses in it, wouldn't it HAhahah a hah ahahah
 :) :) :) :) :)

asathorny

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
You missed a chance there Trev, what you should have done was offer some of the fancy car guys a lift  :-)  pointing out the advantages of ESP and traction control. Now that would have been rubbing there noses in it, wouldn't it HAhahah a hah ahahah
 :) :) :) :) :)

asathorny

Well, when I left to go home, I met my boss in a BMW getting pushed going THE WRONG WAY.  I took great delight in winding my window down and telling him to buy a decent car  :lol:

It must have hit a raw nerve as he was telling other people today what I said to him.  Ah well ! Bang goes my performance bonus for this year :'( :'(

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Trev, just had a look at the Scottish newspapers on line. Bloody hell...it must be cold over your way.

Yep, it is cold but I can live with that. It was just the sheer volume of snow that fell so quick that caught so many people out.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I think the UK has now joined the Arctic Circle  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Topic: Did Anyone See My Huge Smile ?

Yep - I found it

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

Yep, even the brass monkeys are in hiding  :o :o

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Any thoughts on improved traction using any other tyre brands or winter tyres anyone?

The Hankooks on from new do seem a bit noisy in the dry / warm & skittish when the temperature drops below 3 degrees compared even to the budget brands I've been guilty of using on my last car  :-[

Considering Falkens or similar when change time comes, some budget brands really are quite good if you choose carefully....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

We've got flooding (and about 28 degrees) over most of the eastern part of Australia.
The worlds gone mad.
When you say "the central belt" where do you mean? Glasgow? Or somewhere further north?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
Before I bought the car, I read in some mags and also this site, there were negative reports ]Noise] with the Hankooks. I can honestly say I haven't had any problems and can only praise their performance :goodjob:

i don't think the performance of the tyres has ever been questioned, and i'm really thankful for you they have performed extremely well for you in your recent bad weather.
in terms of noise though, australia does have different roads as i understand it, different quality and roughness etc. when you're driving for approx 8 hours over very rough and often quite varying surface the noise is a problem. even a 1-2 hour drive can be irritating. if i was a suburban driver only i wouldn't be anywhere near as concerned about the noise actually.

re picking up passengers - the extra weight might have bogged you down. then you have been stuck all night in the car with your co-workers.  :lol:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

We've got flooding (and about 28 degrees) over most of the eastern part of Australia.
The worlds gone mad.
When you say "the central belt" where do you mean? Glasgow? Or somewhere further north?

You are spot on. Anywhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh both north and south about 20 miles has been a complete nightmare over the past few days.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal