i30 Owners Club

Early review for i30 CW 2.0 litre Auto Trophy Edition - Colour: Hyper Silver.

Pranav · 11 · 5803

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
Hi Guys,

Have driven only 750 Kms, but in around the first 48 hours ! Dont expect to climb them this rapidly from now.

Anyway, am over all satisfied with the car.

MY LIKES:

* Good looks: great colour and alloys + Tint.  It may not be super cool, but is nicely different to other cars on road at the moment.

* Good road handling: Have tested it really, drove on hills and snow..with chains etc.  It did not skid at all, infact my previous Commodore had a few skids on the same road last year in less snow.  So quite happy.

* Comfort: Nice, much more comfortable than expeted.  Even for the rear passengers.

* Economy: First journey, tough roads, full load of 4 passengers with AC on all the time: took 9.5 Litres per 100 Km. Am happy. Should be much better on normal roads, less people, and when the engine smoothes out a little bit.

* Music system and technology: Every one knows about this, so no different.  Liked the ipod interface.

* Space: For a small car, it has a good load carrying area. I believe it will be very practical for long trips and moving stuff around occasionally. Would lug my bicycle and so on.  Like the idea of the car. Also internal stuff holders and pockets are a good idea. The cooled glove box, a nice touch and I hope to use it some time.  Also the extra power port in the back will be useful for long trips.

Over all am satisfied, and dont think I should have bought anything else.

MY DISLIKES:

1). Engine: is a tad bit noisy when revved.  At stand still it is nicely quiet. But am comparing it from a V6 Commodore.
2). Radio Lighting: The blue light in the centre console get too bright at night time.  In the day it is a nice touch.  I wish there was a way to fade it.  However, I am happy we can just shut it off completely when not needed.
3.) The head lights are not as strong as they should be for dark roads.
3). No trip computer and steering audio controls in my model.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow. Snow chains in the first 750klms.
Nothing like throwing the newbie in at the deep end. :goodjob:
Looking good.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Glad to see your likes & dislikes.
The radio display window came with a film on it when the car was new. I never removed it and now already done 22k. The radio light did not bother me. So I was wondering if tint can help the problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Glad to see your likes & dislikes.
The radio display window came with a film on it when the car was new. I never removed it and now already done 22k. The radio light did not bother me. So I was wondering if tint can help the problem.

That's a good idea about the tint... :goodjob: (doesn't worry us but a few have commented before)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
3.) The head lights are not as strong as they should be for dark roads.

Have a look here:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1641.0

Use a philips 2 15cm screwdriver and turn clockwise about 2 full revolutions to adjust headlights.

They then project much further but still only to about bumper level on a car 50m away.

Makes a world of difference particularly if you are doing night motorway or country driving.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Silly question, but you do know that there is a button on the stereo to darken the display? But thats totally black, not dim.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Pip
Use a philips 2 15cm screwdriver and turn clockwise about 2 full revolutions to adjust headlights.
I just want to point out (unnecessarily I hope) that this general advice might not be applicable to all cars.

My car's headlights are marginally too high already without adjustment. I might add that I also find them inadequate in reach in high beam.

Raising them might not help. In fact it could be a serious impediment for on-coming traffic,  although they are so piss weak nobody might complain. :lol:

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
Hi guys

Yes, I use the display button to turn off the screen.  I close it at night, when completely dark.  Once we adjust anything eg. Volume, the screen comes alive again.

Great idea about the tinting, but I think the designers of the car did not drive the car in pitch dark conditions.  It looks good in day and better when its evening but gets too bright for night time.

The head light tweaking might be a good idea, in fact I noticed that the light beam is more skewed towards the left side.  My free 1000 km check is not too far anyway, will see if I can complain and make the professionals do some adjustments to it.

Thanks for the great tips ! Fantastic group we have here...glad bought an i30, as its an honour to be a member here.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi guys

Thanks for the great tips ! Fantastic group we have here...glad bought an i30, as its an honour to be a member here.

Thanks for that feedback Pranav.. The long term members of this club are very proud of it (I would put money on this being the nicest, most harmonious and friendly car forum on the internet bar none!) :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's interesting what pip says about his lights. In balance, I'm on record as saying elsewhere on this forum that I find mine more than adequate on both high and low beam. So maybe there are some variants at the factory level even in Australia. And I have to say I'm fairly critical of headlights having spent the best part of 20 years driving around behind a bank of Super Oscars, pluss 100w inserts in the Cibie headlight inserts as well.
But I do think some minor adjustment is in order. Then maybe different bulbs as some on here seem to have done.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, upgraded bulbs (Philips or Osrum +50 and the like) should be ok in a petrol i30...Diesel i30's seem harder on globes in some cases...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal