i30 Owners Club

Drivers side screen washer not working

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
i30 Petrol  67 plate in the UK

Happy New Year all.
 There is nothing coming out of the drivers side washer, but the passenger side is working okay.
Ive tried the old 'stick a pin in the jet part'. 
From what I can see a pipe goes from the water bottle up the left hand side of the engine, then dissapears under a big black plastic covering the length of the windscreen. I dont want to try and remove that if possible. Im assuming there must be a t-junction where one pipe leads from to the drivers washer port, and the other side runs along underneath to the passenger side.

Is it worth trying to get some sort of air compressor to see if it unblocks it, or will that wreck the small plastic port where the screen washer comes out ?
Ive attached some pictures if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
  • HYUNDAI i30 1.0 S T-GDi 67 Plate

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sounds like you may have mould or bacteria in the washer bottle, if so it will more than likely block the other jet aswell, sticking a pin it will do nothing, the bottle needs cleaning out as well as the lines.
The plastic scuttle panel will have to be removed, 4 clips and wipers, you can then access the pipes and nozzles, hopefully the nozzle you stuck the pin in isn't damaged, 👍

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sounds like you may have mould or bacteria in the washer bottle, if so it will more than likely block the other jet aswell, sticking a pin it will do nothing, the bottle needs cleaning out as well as the lines.
The plastic scuttle panel will have to be removed, 4 clips and wipers, you can then access the pipes and nozzles, hopefully the nozzle you stuck the pin in isn't damaged, 👍

As per above but before you do it, firstly you could split the pipe at a join and blow air through to see if that clears. I used a bike hand pump so as not to use to much pressure.

To clean the bottle I put hose into the neck and turned hose on and let the water run around and push any muck away. Otherwise you will have to remove the wheel arch lining to get access.

If your nozzle is like mine, it just pushes into a holder with, I think side clips. So gentle movement should get it out but be careful as plastic and fragile.
Personally I would remove the cover first as it is a 2 minute job once you remove the wipers, prise cap off and remove screw/bolt.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline James Bond

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Mids
Thanks guys.   I did try taking the pipe apart where there was an actual joint, and blew down it , but had no effect.  I will see if I can get my bike pump to fit.  Will also look at cleaning the water bottle.
  • HYUNDAI i30 1.0 S T-GDi 67 Plate

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal