i30 Owners Club

Adding steering wheel volume controls

pauly · 78 · 35803

Offline wai30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• White SX i30, Ducati ST2
  Hi there bobbyd, i was only there about 3 months ago asking the same question from Liam and after him chasing it for a few days he got back to me and said  this mod wasnt possible. Maybe i didnt ask nicely enough. I will be ordering and installing soon.
wai30

Further to my last, anyone else wanting to get the audio controls- give Liam at Bunbury Hyundai and Volkswagen a call, he was great and excellent prices.
Ph 08 97 914210  fax 08 97 217799

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Well i got my controls and loom yesterday and being the impatient person i am i went ahead and fitted it- the steering wheel pulled off by hand, its a pull and the all of a sudden type of action but no puller tool necessary. 

The biggest pain was not knowing how to undo the airbag loom, its not a simple plug/unplug of any sort.  Guess they dont want someone removing it and not replugging it in.

So i had to leave the airbag sitting there, which made getting the blanking cover off a bit difficult- you have to unscrew the back of the steering wheel off to get a screwdriver then facing forward to remove the blanking cover and screw the controller in.

But i got it done (took and hour which was longer than i expected but worth it) it all works perfectly, I'm glad Hyundai maintain a loom from the clock spring to the head unit for all models including the SX

Anyone needing advice pls let me know

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got a feeling you are going to be a handy guy to have around bobby... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I try to be hands on mate, but man i would love to get my hands on a workshop manual for the i30, i reckon i could probably rebuld the whole car with one of those, much quicker than some of the guesswork involved whilst not breaking things you intend to pull apart  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I try to be hands on mate, but man i would love to get my hands on a workshop manual for the i30, i reckon i could probably rebuld the whole car with one of those, much quicker than some of the guesswork involved whilst not breaking things you intend to pull apart  :D

Check this thread out bobby

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,77.0.html

We should start a business together (we could call it "Bobby Dazzlers" :mrgreen:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
"bobby dazzlers" Ha ! sounds good :-)

I did previously see that thread/link and i signed up but never received membership in order to download, perhaps they don't like any non US subscribers??  Has anyone else managed to subscribe and download from there???

Agentr31- its worth the time and $$ for this mod, a cheap investment, the controls look good (especially at night), are functional (good to keep your hands on the wheel and a selling point to later on) and not expensive by any means.

I priced up a top box (glove box above the head unit) as part of my install- going to put a centre speaker there- it came in at $240 just for that, so $85 plus loom for the steering wheel audio control is cheap.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
doesnt yours have the storage compartment on the top of the dash?

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
doesnt yours have the storage compartment on the top of the dash?
I'm going to use mine to house a centre speaker (actually a 4 inch mid and 2 inch tweeter- so 2 speakers) so i wanted another to keep in order to restore it to original one day, came across a fascia and storage compartment from a local wreckers for $120, but i was just comparing the price of that to the steering wheel controller to point out this is a good value for $$ mod in my opinion.

On a side note i just found a workshop manual on CD from USA ebay and ordered it, hoping its a decent quality and the $40 will be worthwhile.  Keep you all posted on that

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ahh i see! i usually keep my oringinal parts... even though ill never use them again! i mean, once you do something its usually there for the cars life!

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
ahh i see! i usually keep my oringinal parts... even though I'll never use them again! i mean, once you do something its usually there for the cars life!
Yes well that has been my previous experience, doing an install and then selling the car with all the mods in it at a massive loss. No one wants to pay much more than market value for a car regardless of what's been spent on it.  So this time around I'll make it all removable and have the ability or at least the option of getting it back to standard or close to it. But with this install it requires cutting the radio fascia and top storage compartment, maybe the boot trims etc, so I've gathered duplicate parts in order to do that.

And hopefully i can get an adapter to allow the Alpine head unit to hook up to the steering wheel audio controller !!  It should be possible.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
makes sence if you dont plan on keeping the car for a while!

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
PS if you attempt this mod yourself, make sure you read the clock spring alignment note on the yellow sticker of the clock spring, otherwise if it isnt aligned properly it may break

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
umm... there is a note? someone got a HI-res pic of the yellow sticker?

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I can take a photo if you need but all clock springs have the directions on there- you turn it all the way clockwise til it stops, then turn 3 turns anti clockwise and continue a little until the alignment marks meet up (little arrows).  Then the steering wheel can go back on and the loom plug on the clock spring will be up the top.

I worked out the airbag loom- at the back of the airbag (not the clock spring side of the loom) use a small flat head screwdriver to pull the yellow section of the plug out a little, the plug will then pull off the airbag and this makes it heaps easier to get the wheel off etc and put the audio controls on.

I'm out of time but anyone wanting more info or photos i can post up next week- right now im off for long weekend holiday, hope everyone else as a great weekend !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm out of time but anyone wanting more info or photos i can post up next week- right now im off for long weekend holiday, hope everyone else as a great weekend !

Drive carefully we expect a full report on your new car next week  :wink: :D

Offline thekman

• 1st Gear
..."The part numbers i have stated here are correct for volume module only. I have cruise control as well therefore i had the wrong wiring loom for this plug. The hyundai dealer worked out the correct pinout for the right side plug and added volume all into one plug."

Hi

I am considering the purchase of an i30 manual diesel wagon with factory cruise, but there are seemingly none in Australia. I'm told by one dealer they can take the base model manual diesel wagon and add a factory cruise module; if I pay for them to take the wheel off I may as well have the radio controls added as well. Do you mind sharing what the correct loom part number is if there is a cruise control module in place as well? Thanks.

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
..."The part numbers i have stated here are correct for volume module only. I have cruise control as well therefore i had the wrong wiring loom for this plug. The hyundai dealer worked out the correct pinout for the right side plug and added volume all into one plug."

Hi

I am considering the purchase of an i30 manual diesel wagon with factory cruise, but there are seemingly none in Australia. I'm told by one dealer they can take the base model manual diesel wagon and add a factory cruise module; if I pay for them to take the wheel off I may as well have the radio controls added as well. Do you mind sharing what the correct loom part number is if there is a cruise control module in place as well? Thanks.

part number for cruise and audio loom is  561502L500

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yeah i got on to a dealer who has the audio controls for $85 and a y loom to suit

WOW i paid almost double that BUT its from someone i know, so if anything is wrong with it, i can give it back no probs...

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yeah great stuff Pauly and bobbyd. I had a hit a dead end with this some time ago, but not now. Thanks heaps.

Bobbyd, are you taking your car to Hyundai to have the parts inserted or are you attempting this one your self?

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Well done. Can I assume the battery is disconnected before removing the steering wheel?

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
 Ensure steering wheel is straight.  Yep, disconnect battery, remove hex screws on the side of wheel.   Pull out airbag and disconnect the air bag and horn looms.  (airbag loom has a little yellow sectino which needs pulling out using a flat blad screwdriver before the rest of the loom unclips)

Undo the steering wheel nut (easiest with a rattle gun and socket) Pull steering wheel off so you can take backing trim off wheel.  Then you can unscrew blanking cap and screw back in the audio control.  Be careful how you route the audio/cruise loom otherwise it will push on the backing trim.  Set the clock spring according to instructions on the spring yellow label.

Put steering wheel back on and tighten nut + washer with rattle gun til firm.  Put airbag loom and horn loom back on and place airbag back into wheel.  Refit hex screws into sides and vwala !!  Hope that all makes sense.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
rattle gun!!!

another tip, DONT undo the nut right off... leave it on 2 or 3 turns then bang the wheel on the sides and pull it off the splines

the reason for this is, sometimes the wheel gets "stuck" on there and when you remove the nut right off and start reefing on the wheel what happens...

FACE FULL OF FAIL!! thats right you get a face full of steering wheel...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
wow... looks like i just wasted $200... my clock spring is different... it only has the lower row of connectors... so to put it nicely "im f#%73d"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

wow... looks like i just wasted $200... my clock spring is different... it only has the lower row of connectors... so to put it nicely "im f#%73d"

Don't despair.. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution.. maybe an exchange with another member.. :idea:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

well... im making a plan as we speak...

Flog it off to some "other" unsuspecting sucker maybe  :wink: :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
well... im making a plan as we speak...

Flog it off to some "other" unsuspecting sucker maybe  :wink: :lol:
  :lol: :lol: :P your nasty dazz.... nah.   :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal