i30 Owners Club

1400Km on a tank achieved

Guest · 56 · 16203

ouri30
This afternoon I drove into the garage with the total trip distance of 1402km (1000 + 402.2) on one tank. 

I knew it could be done.  My estimation is that I could still do approximately 30km more.

Trip computer is showing 4.1 litres / 100km with an average speed of 68km for the tank.  I'll be doing manual calculation for the fuel economy tomorrow.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice one Bob. In UK money that would be around 871 miles. Startling.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done Bob... I don't think it could be done in Tasmania (too many hills)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Currently sitting on 3.5lt/100km

I'm going to do one better!  :mrgreen:

ouri30
Currently sitting on 3.5lt/100km

I'm going to do one better!  :mrgreen:

I'm sure you will Thumper. 

Remember.  I was the first forum member to get there and in a fully standard i30 CRDi without any mods to any part of the vehicle excepting for the addition of the Scanguage II.

Just thought I would mention those few points.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I have the stock exhaust on right now.

Only difference is, I have the torque booster set to max.

When I get past 1400km, I'll remove the torque booster and run bog stock standard. (Testing to see what does and doesn't work)

:mrgreen:

ouri30
I have the stock exhaust on right now.

Only difference is, I have the torque booster set to max.

When I get past 1400km, I'll remove the torque booster and run bog stock standard. (Testing to see what does and doesn't work)

:mrgreen:

I think we would be all interested in the improvements to economy from your little device.  I know I was seriously interested in the tuning chip from one company (DPChip, from memory) until I saw the price.  From what you have already posted (and Shambles), significant gains are possible.

Keep us informed.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
So how high are we going to set the bar now? 1500? Skys the limit :biggrin:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, I'll aim for 1500km

60lt x 3.5lt/100km = 1714km

Let's see if it can be done.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

cough manual drivers pissing contest cough

As for your Hills' Dazza, just cut the engine at the top and roll down! Free km's!!! lol.

As for Thumper's 1700km/tank - you know I could last 2 1/2 months on that sort of economy? Mind blowing.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well done Bob, how many liters did it take to fill up the tank?
thats a good average speed. i'm only getting about 25kph average speed right now in Syd, still get 1,100 from a tank easy so happy.

ouri30
well done Bob, how many liters did it take to fill up the tank?
thats a good average speed. i'm only getting about 25kph average speed right now in Syd, still get 1,100 from a tank easy so happy.

Lakes,

Haven't filled up yet.  Car is still garaged.  I will put in 11 litres this morning, drive about 160km or so today and then fill up.  Will post results later today.

Average speed is easy out here as I don't have many towns to drive through.  I reckon I could have got further and had a higher average speed if   it hadn't been for my trip on Monday where I had to drive around in some built up areas and heavier traffic for quite a while.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Oh, looks like I've not come across as I was intended to.  :-[

I'm impressed with 1,400km for the tank, since I haven't really done an economical drive for an entire tank. (After 1,100km I normally just give up and hoon with the rest of the traffic)  :lol:

A friendly ribbing and try to see who can get the best per tank is an enjoyable challenge for me.  :biggrin:

I also wish to see certain mods (Tuningbox, exhaust, tyre pressures)  will help with economy.

If I can get 1,400km per tank, I'll be happy.  :razz:

If I hit 1,500km for the tank, I will be over the moon!  :lol: (Then ouri30 can see if he can crack that figure  :biggrin:)

I think it's great that most of us here, who have purchased the i30 diesel for it's economy are actually interested in obtaining the best economy from their vehicles. (Not just increasing power :wink::razz:

Though I will say, it'll be interesting to see what sort of difference the the mods will have on economy. (Yes, after this tank I will go back to bog stock standard and try again)  :mrgreen:

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
Just a couple of economy questions...

I am sitting on about 6.2L/100 according to my trip computer and by my calculations have been getting around 800-850km/tank - in total i've done 1300KM thus far. I have not been hooning whatsoever, I've been taking it very gently.

How can I get the trip computer down to 5L/100km and below? Is this just a matter of time? Most of the kms clocked up thus far have been on 100-110km/h roads in 4th/5th gear... surely my economy should be better? Should I be doing something differently on the highways? I was trying to make sure my revs were between 2000 and 4000 as per the 'running in' instructions in the owners manual.

Ideas?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, first of all I have 30,000km on the clock.

Second of all, I try not to go above 2000rpm whatsoever!

Thirdly, lift off the throttle and coast along in 5th gear as much as possible. The injectors shut down, so no fuel is going into the engine.

Short trips while the engine is cold uses the most fuel.

Try running a higher tyre pressure (Around 36-38psi when cold seems to be about right for most of us)

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
Hmm, I tried 5th gear yesterday under 2000RPM and the engine laboured... did not like it at all.

Maybe I was doing something wrong :S

When you say get to 5th and talk foot off the accelerator, I assume this would involve speeding up, taking foot off the accelerator and slowly going down in speed then speeding up again?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I can engage 5th at 1,500rpm with no issues (Go under 1,500rpm in 5th causes some 'jerking or shuddering' in a stock i30 CRDi. I do not suffer with that problem in mine, now)

Your engine just could be still a little 'tight'  :P

ouri30
Oh, looks like I've not come across as I was intended to.  :-[

I'm impressed with 1,400km for the tank, since I haven't really done an economical drive for an entire tank. (After 1,100km I normally just give up and hoon with the rest of the traffic)  :lol:

A friendly ribbing and try to see who can get the best per tank is an enjoyable challenge for me.  :biggrin:

I also wish to see certain mods (Tuningbox, exhaust, tyre pressures)  will help with economy.

If I can get 1,400km per tank, I'll be happy.  :razz:

If I hit 1,500km for the tank, I will be over the moon!  :lol: (Then ouri30 can see if he can crack that figure  :biggrin:)

I think it's great that most of us here, who have purchased the i30 diesel for it's economy are actually interested in obtaining the best economy from their vehicles. (Not just increasing power :wink::razz:

Though I will say, it'll be interesting to see what sort of difference the the mods will have on economy. (Yes, after this tank I will go back to bog stock standard and try again)  :mrgreen:

:evil: I haven't got a problem with your posts Thumper and I hope you haven't with mine. :mrgreen:

Seriously, it's good banter and a bit of motivation.

Have to agree, it is hard to keep doing the economy for the full tank.  I did all right going to work during the week, but the weekend trip to golf and the Monday trip to a meeting in the metro area and through the hills messed it up a bit, but I still managed to get to 1402 km before topping up this morning from a jerry can.  Should have been able to get further but for those two trips messing it up.  I think I would have been a bit aof a nuisance going down the Great Eastern Freeway into Adelaide at economy speed.

Also, filled up today and squeezed in 54.8 litres, plus the 11 litres from the jerry can for a total of 65.8 litres and a total trip of 1594 km.  By my calculations that is 4.13 LPH.  The last 192km was done at highway speed.

Doing a little maths, I have calculated that I am able to squeeze in about 59 litres when the tank is full. 

As to the 1500km challenge. Come on Thumper, you can do it.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Just about to go out for a drive,
I will do the 1500 RPM challenge and report back :)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
The car didn't like changing at 1500 rpm. It would do it but laboured, not fiercely, but no power to pull away till it would get to around 1800rpm. Changing at around 1700-2000rpm seems to work best for me.

ouri30
The car didn't like changing at 1500 rpm. It would do it but laboured, not fiercely, but no power to pull away till it would get to around 1800rpm. Changing at around 1700-2000rpm seems to work best for me.

I don't change at 1500 rpm.  That is a little slow.  I get the car up to about 80kph and then change.  It is possible to drive at 1500 rpm on flat road, but I would never try to pull away at that speed, but rather just ease it along and slowly accelerate - in fact, listen to and feel the car - become one with it.  Hope my wife doesn't read this (or my girls) - they all think I'm in love with it.  They keep telling me it's not a Porche and therefore not sexy and I should calm down.

Bob

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

They keep telling them it is not a Porche and therefore not sexy and I should calm down.
Bob
!!!
My wife is saying the exact same thing! "It's a Hyundai, why are you wasting money on spoiler/neon-footspace/light-upgrade/debadging"

I'm going to do a trip from Sydney to Melbourne soon in my little Charade, and probably another after Christmas in the i30, and compare the economy and distance and time... my i30 will be an Auto Petrol, so lets see how that economy compares on such a long distance...

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Nice work Bob
:)

Has anyone seen the latest Top Gear UK?
They did an economy run with a Diesel Polo, Diesel Suburu Wagon and a v6 twin turbo jag and were only allowed one tank of fuel.
The trip was 750 miles. All cars made it, and each of them had fuel lights on, gauge on empty and DTE on empty. But they travelled something like an extra 20-30 miles or something.

It was a really good ep. So I reckon the i30 could definitely get more if you were to go to that extreme.
What was interesting though, is the Jag had nothing left on the DTE and when they examined the fuel tank, they calculated they could still have travelled approx 130miles!

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

I don't change at 1500 rpm.  That is a little slow.  I get the car up to about 80kph and then change.  It is possible to drive at 1500 rpm on flat road, but I would never try to pull away at that speed, but rather just ease it along and slowly accelerate - in fact, listen to and feel the car - become one with it.  Hope my wife doesn't read this (or my girls) - they all think I'm in love with it.  They keep telling me it's not a Porche and therefore not sexy and I should calm down.

HAHA, My kids say the same thing. They reckon ifs its not a Ferrari, than its nothing to get excited about :lol:

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
sorry Bob, I am not how I did that. The bit about the ferrari is my post :-[

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

<click on "Modify" above your post>
<cut (ctrl+X) your comments and paste (ctrl+V) them after the "[/quote]" that follows "Bob">

Fixed!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
700km, less than 1/4 used. Well on my way!  :cool:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I'm imagining Thumper is 500m from the next traffic lights when he sees it turning yellow - so he brakes a little and coasts so that he hits the line still moving when it goes green again... and all the traffic behind him screaming blue murder at him :P

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I'm imagining Thumper is 500m from the next traffic lights when he sees it turning yellow - so he brakes a little and coasts so that he hits the line still moving when it goes green again... and all the traffic behind him screaming blue murder at him :P

I'm not 'that' bad!  :lol:

Ok gentle i30 folk, riddle me this, currently sitting on 3.8lt/100km (Indicated by the i30's own trip computer) yet I have not used half a tank of fuel for 928km traveled.

Even more surprising is, after re-reading the instructions that were sent to me, in German, and my basic understanding of German (6 months study, in Year 8 at school) I got the instructions horribly wrong!

I have had a Swiss friend who translated the documentation for me, properly, into English.

Ok, sitting down?

I am currently running the full power and full torque maps. (Have been for the entire tank)

I miss-interpreted several words and got the settings back to front. Instead of reducing the settings, I increased them (All within the allowed parameters for the engine and ECU)

So, this is the economy I am returning with increased power and torque settings. (Not the reduced, like I had intended!)

I also have a strange feeling that this is causing the lt/100km to read incorrectly.

I am still running the factory stock exhaust.

Thoughts anyone?

Because now I'm starting to get rather confused, either I am returning BLOODY fantastic economy, or something is not reading correctly!  :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Thumper.

Better have some diesel in a jerry can just in case (reckon the warning light will still come on when she approaches empty...)

I reckon you got a blueprinted motor by accident!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal