i30 Owners Club

Belt or Chain? Also possible hesitancy issue?

Guest · 7 · 3514

Xamaxy
Few technical questions came up:

1) Dude at the dealership told me that car has a chain instead of belt, well, you all said belt, and my dad, retired mechanic said that it looks more like a belt. So is it possible for a inside person to be so ..... and make mistake like that?

2) Gas pedal when flooring it has a certain "additional" space. Hmm how to explain....when i press the pedal all the way down then there's somehting like a "click" which lowers it additionaly....any1 ideas about that?

3) When driving at 2500 for example (or any other revs within 2000->),  and trying to accelerate hard, there a "0.5second" delay to full acceleration power.
Got some answers that this is mainly due to gas pedal being not as tightly made. Also, ideas?
Saw a thread about 2.0 hesitancy, i wouldnt call it like that, but jut wondering a bit harder since a cousin tryied car adn said that VW Jetta and golf accelerate immidiately.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
3) When driving at 2500 for example (or any other revs within 2000->),  and trying to accelerate hard, there a "0.5second" delay to full acceleration power.
Got some answers that this is mainly due to gas pedal being not as tightly made. Also, ideas?
Saw a thread about 2.0 hesitancy, i wouldnt call it like that, but jut wondering a bit harder since a cousin tryied car adn said that VW Jetta and golf accelerate immidiately.

That's turbo lag. It takes some time for turbo to compress the air. If I recall, the 2.0 CRDi engines have more lag than 1.6 CRDi engines, but nevertheless, the 2.0 goes much better, so nothing to be sad about ;)

Regarding belt/chain question. Not sure but I think it has belt.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
1) Dude at the dealership told me that car has a chain instead of belt, well, you all said belt, and my dad, retired mechanic said that it looks more like a belt. So is it possible for a inside person to be so ..... and make mistake like that?

I believe the only 2.0CRDi available in i30 is the D Series engine. The newer R series is only 2.2L+ capacity.
I think the D series engine has a timing belt, but I don't remember why I think this. It may be a suprise and that you have a 2.0 R series engine, but this has not been released in the UK, or mentioned on the Web. I have not actually ever seen either enigine, so I could be wrong.

We could probably tell from a picture of the engine taken from the left side of the car.

There will be a belt even on a chain drive car, to drive the alternator etc, this is called the auxiliary belt, so seeing a belt doesn't really help. You can check for sure what you have by looking at the schedule in your service book it will tell you when the belt or chain needs replacing.

2) Gas pedal when flooring it has a certain "additional" space. Hmm how to explain....when i press the pedal all the way down then there's somehting like a "click" which lowers it additionaly....any1 ideas about that?

I consider this "reserve power" for getting out of trouble. The last part of the throttle travel has a stronger spring, and this is what you are feeling. If you want to drive economically you should not be getting near this on a regular basis. Good for "warp factor 6" overtaking moves though.

Sounds like turbo lag, but wouldn't expect you to notice it much above 2,000 rpm, but I'm not familiar with the geometry of the 2.0 turbo. Finding a power/torque output graph on the internet somewhere would give you a clue to what the power might be like.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On mine, within the engine, I have a chain and does not need replacing.

Belts on the outside will be checked at service and replaced if worn or showing signs of fatigue.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
On mine, within the engine, I have a chain and does not need replacing.

Belts on the outside will be checked at service and replaced if worn or showing signs of fatigue.

Aye, the 1.6CRDi's are all chain, this is a 2.0 though, different engine completely.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Few technical questions came up:

1) Belt
2) No idea (I don't have a "click" when i flooring it.)
3) Little "Turbo lag". Nothing to worry about...
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Xamaxy
Thank you all!

@accim
I dont have a problem with that lag, i just wanted to check it out what ti is, when car starts to pull i'm too busy watching not to hit anything then to be worried about lag :mrgreen:

@Lorian
Thursday i'm going home from work and i'm gonna try this reserve power.
I almost chocked on chocolate when you said warp factor 6 hahahhaahaha funny comparison  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal