Genuine alloys

1DRR · 30 · 10716

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hey all

I'm in WA and am basically wondering if there are any better avenues to go down for some original alloys (be it 16" or 17") for my 08 SX diesel than to head to a dealership? As you'd all know, what they're asking just ain't reasonable!

No luck with Gumtree the last couple of weeks, eBay is full of "NSW pickup only".
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm not aware of any other avenues, but it may be worth a look at Mr Mag in Morley.
If they don't have them they may be able to get them as they'll be bringing stuff over from the east pretty regularly I'd say.
They're just behind Hungry Jacks on Walter Road and it's a pretty big operation.
Hope this helps.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
1DRR, I was lucky to pick up a set of brand new genuine i45 18" alloys off ebay last year for $255 delivered free from Sydney to Brisbane. I was wrapped.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Do you have a friend or courier who could pick them up for you and pack them?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Do you have a friend or courier who could pick them up for you and pack them?

Hey beerman, to answer your question, no.

The bloke who sold them to me worked for a gym equipment importer and the sent heavy freight (weights etc) all around Oz.

The rims arrived on my doorstep the following day. I rang him and asked how much I owed for freight and he told me it was on the house. Needless to say I gave him great feedback on eBay. :goodjob2:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's very lucky.

Put the savings towards the next set of tyres  :eek:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I rang him and asked how much I owed for freight and he told me it was on the house. Needless to say I gave him great feedback on eBay. :goodjob2:

He saw your avatar didn't he......  :p  :lol:

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I'm not aware of any other avenues, but it may be worth a look at Mr Mag in Morley.
If they don't have them they may be able to get them as they'll be bringing stuff over from the east pretty regularly I'd say.
They're just behind Hungry Jacks on Walter Road and it's a pretty big operation.
Hope this helps.

Actually went there already! The guy just kept banging on about how he had some aftermarket ones he thought would suit the car WAAAAAY better. Haha. The really old guy who sits out the front it always quite a character. The guy who was trying to convince me to get aftermarket ones kept saying he could "..get any rim from anywhere" so maybe I'll hit him up on that recurring phrase. He did seem to avoid the topic of the genuine ones, even though that's what I kept asking for.

Will keep you updated on what ends up happening.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
So I found a set of four 16" wheels from an Elantra that look kinda nice (better than hubcaps!). I have some details here that I was hoping someone could interpret for me before I commit to buying them:

Wheel Diameter: 16"
Wheel Width: 6.5"
Stud Pattern: 5/114.3
Hub Centre: 67.1
Offset: POS 53

Would these be fully compatible with my '08 SX CRDi? Do I need "spacers" or anything? They don't come with wheel nuts.. would the ones on my steel wheels be fine, or do I need to acquire some different ones to suit the new wheels?

Also, they don't come with tyres, so I'm seeking recommendations on what tyres I'd want to have on there. It seems I'm to look to you for an answer to this, surferdude  :p Unfortunately it wouldn't be a set of those Goodyear Duraplus tyres you've recently fitted due to them not making a 16" version  :'(

Thought I'd include a photo for everyone to "ooh, ahh" over:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
16" i30 offset is 50P. Should be OK but you'd need to check before buying.
I'm not sure of the hub centre sizing but I seem to remember Alan Ho (maybe) quoting some figures on this once. Maybe he'll see this and reply.
1DRR, remind me whereabouts in Australia you are and give me some idea what you are looking for in a tyre.
Maybe pick the most important two or three of...... and rate them in order.

Appearance
Tread life
Ride comfort
Steering reponsiveness
Quietness
Price
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
16" i30 offset is 50P. Should be OK but you'd need to check before buying.
I'm not sure of the hub centre sizing but I seem to remember Alan Ho (maybe) quoting some figures on this once. Maybe he'll see this and reply.
1DRR, remind me whereabouts in Australia you are and give me some idea what you are looking for in a tyre.
Maybe pick the most important two or three of...... and rate them in order.

Appearance
Tread life
Ride comfort
Steering reponsiveness
Quietness
Price

I'm not sure how I go about the "check before buying" thing. These are on the Goldy and I'm in Perth. The roads where I live are fairly average.
I'm also not sure what you mean by tyre appearance? So I'm not sure where I'd rate that in order of importance, but I'm really not a fan of road noise (which is why I ultimately nuked the idea of getting 17"s), I'd love decent tread life but not if I have to compromise steering and comfort; so order of importance is as follows:

Quietness
Steering
Comfort
Tread Life
Price
Appearance

Thanks for the quick reply! Also, what does offset actually mean?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They the ones on Ebay?

From the Gold Coast if I recall correctly?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This wikipedia link explains offset simply without getting too involved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_%28wheel%29

Someone on here (maybe druggist - I'll try to find the detail) recently fitted Mastercraft in the 16". Let's see if we can get some feedback from him.
Apart from that the Continental as fitted to Asterix's car in Denmark are available here. I'll try to find the link to what I wrote about them when I was in the UK with a hire car.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
They the ones on Ebay?

From the Gold Coast if I recall correctly?

Yes sir. You're not going to ninja my potential purchase are you?  :p

@surferdude: I may be a naive consumer, but I saw an ad in the RAC member magazine for some US-made tyres that guarantee a minimum of 50,000km tread life, with some of their tyres guaranteeing 80,000+. Can't remember the brand and I threw the magazine out. Might have been Mastercraft? Any info on these?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The story on Contis.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6874.0   

Yes the Mastercraft are the ones. Not sure whether it was ElleB or Druggist who fitted them recently. Cant find a link in the search function, but here's the link to the whole topic.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=8033.msg94695#msg94695

And some more here.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=12908.msg142817#msg142817

We have them fitted to one of our store utes at Enoggera and the manager is very complimentary about them.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Only problem with that, surferdude, is that I'll have to get 205s (not 195s) to preserve the accuracy of my speedometer. Thoughts?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Only problem with that, surferdude, is that I'll have to get 205s (not 195s) to preserve the accuracy of my speedometer. Thoughts?
Sorry. Have you currently got 195/65R15 fitted.
If so, yeas the 16" equivalent is 205/55R16, which is why I suggested the Mastercraft as they come in that size.
So, too IIRC do the Continentals.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yeah, 195/65R15s on the standard 15" steels. Sorry, was that my bad?

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Just read those posts, but still not really sure on which option I'd be better with.

Do you rate Mastercraft and Continentals over Bridgestone Potenza, for example?

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Also, is there a particular chain you would recommend for the best prices on these products?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have just ordered a new 2012 i30 Style which has Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres size 205 55 R16H on 16" alloy rims as standard

I have arranged for the dealer to change the tyres to Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres before I take delivery in order to minimise cabin noise. One of my friends changed his Golf from Dunlop Sports to these Continentals and it significantly improved cabin noise and supports the opinions expressed by our tyre guru surferdude..

By the way - if you do decide to buy Continentals and tyre noise really is your priority - dont be persuaded by the dealer to have the latest Premium Contact 5 tyres. I have spoken to the Continental UK technical support and they told me that the later tyre has been developed for better wet grip in extreme conditions and improved tyre life - but this has come at the expense of slightly higher tyre noise.

The wheel fitting for your car should be

Stud Pattern 5 x 114.3
Offset 50P
Studs 12 dia x 1.5 pitch

The following wheel data base is useful but needs to be used with caution because it does not always cater for different rim sizes on a particular model. For example the i30 offset is shown as 45P which is not appropriate for 16" rims.

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/steekmaat.php?merk=Hyundai&type=i30 (2007 - )&merk2=Hyundai

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 15:17:04 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Thank you for your input, but I really have no idea what any of this means, or if it means the rims I'm considering will be suitable.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Just had a look at that site. Feeling more confused than ever. Haha

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK.
Couple of quick answers for you.

1/ The difference of 3mm in offset means we can't be sure the rims you want to buy will fit and not cause any clearance problems inside your guards. Given they are on the other side of the country, might be best to not take the chance.

2/ Yes I rate Continental and Mastercraft over the Potenza which can be noisy in my personal experience. There is also a Goodyear Assurance Armourgrip which is very quiet and rides and grips well but not all that cheap - although neither are the Mastercraft, the Bridgestone or  the Continental.

3/ Your standard wheel nuts should be fine for the rims as shown, but again there is a slight possibility they wouldn't. Easy to tell if you had access to a wheel, but not across the country.

4/ In summary, given the distance involved I personally wouldn't take the risk on those wheels.

5/ Regarding "offset", if you are still confused, let me know and I'll use a diagram I have somewhere (need to find it) that might help.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

They don't come with wheel nuts.. would the ones on my steel wheels be fine, or do I need to acquire some different ones to suit the new wheels?

Also, they don't come with tyres, so I'm seeking recommendations on what tyres I'd want to have on there.

Regarding the wheel nuts. You propably will need other wheelnuts, as the ones for steel rims are rounded conical, and the ones for alloys mostly is plain conical. Hope this makes sense, don't know how else to explain, maybe pic's.

As stated elsewhere, I have the Conti Premium Contact 2 on my car, 15". I have nothing bad to say about these tyres.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Regarding the wheel nuts. You propably will need other wheelnuts, as the ones for steel rims are rounded conical, and the ones for alloys mostly is plain conical. Hope this makes sense, don't know how else to explain, maybe pic's.

Hmmm?
You could well be right Asterix. The standard ones are designed to hold the plastic wheel cover (hub cap) in place.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
we can't be sure the rims you want to buy will fit and not cause any clearance problems inside your guards.

When I rang around about alloys a lot of the places I spoke to were banging on about "spacers". Are these of any relevance to this clearance issue?

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
we can't be sure the rims you want to buy will fit and not cause any clearance problems inside your guards.

When I rang around about alloys a lot of the places I spoke to were banging on about "spacers". Are these of any relevance to this clearance issue?

Thanks for all your replies.
The spacers should only be needed on 17" rims and they are fitted to the steering rack. There's a thread on here somewhere about them.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory the ebay site lists them as fitting an I30. Perhaps you could call a Hyundai dealer for advice?

Tell them you like them and want to fit them to your I30 and see what they say.

If they are unsure get them to check fit. Then ask how much, faint and walk away....

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey all

I'm in WA and am basically wondering if there are any better avenues to go down for some original alloys (be it 16" or 17") for my 08 SX diesel than to head to a dealership? As you'd all know, what they're asking just ain't reasonable!

No luck with Gumtree the last couple of weeks, eBay is full of "NSW pickup only".

Hyundai sell the trophy package for $500-$1000

When I bought my car I thought it was basically like a different model i30.  The salesman told me the extras like leather wheel, cruise and alloys cost $500 more, but on my contract it says something like 'trophy package - $1000' as an option.

Perhaps enquire as to how much the 16" alloys from that package would cost?  The i30 is one of the few cars where I think OE wheels look best.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal