i30 Owners Club

Tyres replaced

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
So the original Hankooks K415's (205/55/16) on my i30 Crdi Estate lasted 20,000mls I then changed to Pirelli P7's very good and grippy but only lasted 14,000mls so have gone back to the Hankooks but 425's. They were a cheap tyre at £140 for the pair. The rears are still good with 4mm on both.

So the reason for this post is the tyre wear reported by some on replacement tyres and from the pics you can see that it is very true the Left passenger side was very worn on the inner side compered to the outer. The drivers side was again Little more worn but not as much. The car is going for it's 3rd year service next week and will get the tracking checked as well.

I'm in UK so right hand drive.

My new i30 Estate came with 415's and I do like then. However, I drove the old one with the new tyres on for a short distance today and it felt very good, anyone else got 425's on ???

i30Sean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gets expensive chewing tyres at that rate  :undecided: So you now have Hankooks on the front and Pirellis on the back?  :confused:

Have you been getting the tyres rotated at all??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm assuming you took those pics after the tyres were removed from the car.
Because if they are still on the car, one of them is the wrong way round.

Which is /was the left hand and which the right.

There's some unusual wear on both sides of the second rib in on the first pic.
And is that a sort of scrubbing effect on the tread blocks on the right shoulder of the bottom pic?

The wear rate you are recording is very high. But it is pretty normal for the left front tyre to wear more than the right. It works harder on a right hand drive car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal