i30 Owners Club

** Hi from Hyundai newbie, Cumbria UK **

Flyyte · 35 · 8032

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
As my 376th letter of complaint to the National Lottery yet again failed to elicit an explanation as to why they keep giving £millions to lots of other buggers but never to me, I recently cancelled my order for a Bugatti Veyron Supersport and have purchased a secondhand Hyundai i30 instead.

It's actually an Estate, which is of some consolation because I had intended to buy an estate anyway to go with the Veyron, a couple of hundred acres in the country somewhere would've done fine but the National Lottery has failed dismally to even provide for that.

This is my first encounter with a Hyundai motor car. But two weeks on, Mrs F and I are enjoying it so much, I even have its front nearside wheel as my avatar. It's difficult to be more enthusiastic than that. I'm led to believe it's called a CW (the car, not the wheel) in faraway lands infinitely more exotic than Cumbria, but have no idea why. Still. Thank God it isn't a WC.

Our Hyundai is a 1.6 115PS diesel, eighteen months old, one owner, and 4,500 verified miles from new. From what I've read about the Bugatti Veyron Supersport, our i30 is going to be much better for parking at Sainsbury's and fuel consumption, markedly superior. The boot's bigger, too.

It's the least powerful motor car we've ever owned and our first manual shift in 25 years but it seems to go well and especially in reverse, which Mrs F appears to favour above all others at the moment even when seeking to go forwards. I'm quite glad we've acquired the Estate in some weirdly-named trim -- Palladian, Presidential, Prestige, Pre-emptiveStrike, something-or-other beginning with P -- because at least there are rear parking sensors. 

Oh, and the wheels are much, much prettier than the Bugatti's; I have spent most of today cleaning and polishing them and though now suffering from a hernia and dislocated knee-cap believe the effort to have been worthwhile. I may well use the offside rear as a shaving mirror in the morning.

So. End of introduction. As this forum looks likely to be a valuable reference resource I shall  resign forthwith my preliminary membership of the Bugatti Veyron Supersport Owners' Club.  Come to think of it, I didn't really like the car anyway: a 0-60mph time of 2 seconds is of no use at all in my part of the world seeing as how traffic speeds here are geared to the acceleratiive power of sheep.

PS: and CW  means. . . ? Enlightenment appreciated. Comprehensive Warranty may well be a Hyundai selling point but it seems a rather daft name for a motor car (though better than 'Veyron'.)
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Flyyte

I see we have yet another new member with a great sense of humor. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum.

I've heard CW = Cross Wagon, but not sure it's correct.

Welcome to the club.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Welcome aboard...  After reading your short intro I feel sure you'll fit in OK...   As for the lottery winnings I am afraid you've been moved to the back of a VERY long line of people waiting... and well behind me I'm afraid.  So pull up a seat and make yourself comfy  :-)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome aboard mate :D

And don't be too ashamed that you chose to join the i30OC after joining HOCGB - it's an easy mistake to make :whistler:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Welcome aboard, Flyyte from the members from Down Under.

Your into was by far the best I've seen since I had the good fortune to stumble onto the best i30 forum on the planet.

You appear to come well armed with a great sense of humour as Asterix has already commented. Not only will you find a lot of great members on the forum with whom you can share your humour, you will also find out a lot about your wonderful shiny i30.

Now about that bloody inconsiderate lot at your National Lottery office!! It appears they are run by the same slack mob who run the Gold Lotto here in Australia. I gave up writing letters of complaint about 10 years ago, as I was getting absolutely nowhere and had never won more than $13.70 (once!!!)

I was going to take up a form of violent protest against this stupid mob, but decided that if I did, I may not get to drive my i30 for several years. So I decided a form of passive protest was more appropriate and less likely to have me arrested. I have taken to sleeping in the foyer of their state office, dumping all my household rubbish in their car park, gatecrashing their Christmas party, shouting loudly at their receptionist while she was on the phone and letting my cows loose in their board room during meetings.

AND guess what?? Still nothing!!! Like your lot, they don't bloody care. It's rigged!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 23:22:01 by Ugly Mongrel »
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum Flyyte,

You may not win the lottery, but today's your lucky day, you decided to join us.  :happydance:

Thanks four your humorous intro.

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome to you from me who is down south to you but up north to nearly everyone else on this forum...

ps I read your post on the HOCGB site and was going to post a ref to this but I see you beat me to it.

You find the answers to the questions you posed somewhere on here.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome Flyyte, also from Down Under. Your wheel photo is upside down. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Welcome to the forum Flyyte.

Please ignore the above guys who thought that your introduction was humorous - they are mainly from Australia and regard any serious misfortune that befalls someone from our wonderful country as something to be laughed at. I too have had a similar misfortune to that of your good self with the lottery, but also with premium bonds, Readers Digest competition and the Womens Institute raffle - hence I can feel your pain. Please accept my most sincere condolences.

CW (in official Hyundai speak) translates to ‘Crossover Wagon’, the i30 CW is aimed at people with active lifestyles, catering for inner urban driving and then the weekend country amble. ... :hatoff:

Incidentally - I see that you are flying the Union flag in your profile - perhaps you were not aware that you are allowed to chose the one for England here...... :whistler:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:25:46 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome Flyyte.
I have a sneaky feeling that you might fit in quite well on here.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
Welcome from a Scot living in Aus, about to become an Ausie (April 3) and am going to visit England and Scotland in June/July.
I agree with those who are already Ausies, yours was a very funny post. I see you are still at 1 post. Have we offended you? :confused:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome aboard, an excellent introduction which makes me think that Alan has relatives in Cumbria :wink:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Welcome from a Scot living in Aus, about to become an Ausie (April 3) and am going to visit England and Scotland in June/July.
I agree with those who are already Ausies, yours was a very funny post. I see you are still at 1 post. Have we offended you? :confused:

:lol: Not a chance, I'd say.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome to the mad house.  :razz: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Flyyte - I noticed the change  - even if the others didn't. I s'pose you intended to run it up the mast and see who saluted it.................. :rofl:

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Er, no, it's just that I'm unfamiliar with this forum's advanced tech and failed to note the notice about notifying. During my time as a member of the worldwide Bugatti Veyron Owners Club we were always updated by a white-gloved mod who dropped by in a Lear jet bearing a sealed envelope on a silver tray but apparently that doesn't happen here. This is clearly a much better forum though, I was never that comfortable with the BVOC's classified ads where small countries were frequently for sale without a warranty. 

I've still getting the hang of things but hope I have thanked everyone here who was kind enough to roll out the welcome mat. Either that,  or I've inadvertently reported all of you to the webmaster. Being a newbie is always an intimidating experience but it's obvious from the responses to my post  that there are many caring and sensible people about in this world even if none are on this thread. Long may such continue.

By way of unintentionally belated reply:

Asterix: ahhh, Cross Wagon. I like that. Kind of macho, as in, don't mess with mah cross wagon. I shall make this a tailgate sticker to warn off lesser Bugattis at the lights.

asathorny: play fair. I've spent thirty quid on Lottery tickets in the past six years so it's my turn to win now.

Shambles: I've only been here an hour and already you're making me feel embarrassed. Some things in life should be a secret.

Ugly Mongrel: Cheered me up no end, your creativity is awesome. I hadn't previously considered a bovine invasion of the boardroom though perhaps it wouldn't work here in the UK, the last boss I ever had was both a director of the company and a right cow as well. (PS: That picture of your transport of delight is amazing. It utterly confounds the generally accepted view that the bigger the rims, the harder the ride.)

847563: You're right. There seems to be no Direct Debit charge for online play here, either.

eye30: The Wirral is a civilised enclave in the south of England. Where we are is only just in England and only just civilised.

SurferDude: It's insight of that calibre which I know is going to help me get the most out of our i30. PS: Queensland seems upside down too, from here anyway. I suspect all i30 roofs have to be reinforced.

AlanHo: Thanks for the expression of sympathy, Alan, it's reassuring to see someone else has suffered likewise even though I've never actually entered a raffle to win a Women's Institute. Was it the building or the inmates that most attracted? Anyway. That story you reference about the lottery winner is definitely true, it's amazing how many sets of large rims become available when one enhances one's personality with a little money. Oh, thanks for the flag tip. I didn't realise. It's now changed to England or would've been had not Equatorial Guinea been an option too close to ignore.

db08: Thanks -- I intend to learn everything I can about the Hyundai i30 and then be able to reciprocate with advice to others in or around March of 2019.

SandRsSR: Nope.  :)

bumpkin: Now that avatar really is pure Bugatti Owners Club.  I shall have to find my John Travolta / Oliver Newton-John gif. Funny name for a girl though.

2130s: Oh, well, if it's going to be a mad house, then I'm no longer sure . . .

and finally . . .

Alan: well spotted!  Thanks for the salute, Equatorial Guinea is a great place (possibly). Why the English can't have a better flag than the one we're lumbered with, I don't know: St George on a horse shoving a lance through a diesel or petrol pump would be aesthetically appealing. 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Flyyte

If your avatar is indeed a photo of your front wheel - then your i30 is the Premium version which has chrome inserts in the wheels.

If you ferret through the forum you will come across a thread about the problems I have experienced with the chrome inserts. My car was new in September 2010 and has had to have the inserts replaced twice under warranty.  I am not alone = other i30 owners have had the same problem.

The inserts are chrome plated plastic. The original set and both sets of replacements (in each case affecting all 4 wheels) have had a tendency to go milky in patches. these patches develop into small blisters which ripen to large ones before cracking. The dealer assumed that it was due to me using an aggressive wheel cleaner - but my car has never been cleaned with any additive in the water other than Meguiars car shampoo.

I suggest you give your wheels a close inspection and get any faulty ones changed under warranty.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Down here in the colonies, that wheel is reserved for the SR version (petrol only).
Mere SX & SLX variants can't have chrome.  :'(
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Flyyte

If your avatar is indeed a photo of your front wheel - then your i30 is the Premium version which has chrome inserts in the wheels.  If you ferret through the forum you will come across a thread about the problems I have experienced with the chrome inserts. My car was new in September 2010 and has had to have the inserts replaced twice under warranty.  I am not alone = other i30 owners have had the same problem.

The inserts are chrome plated plastic. The original set and both sets of replacements (in each case affecting all 4 wheels) have had a tendency to go milky in patches. these patches develop into small blisters which ripen to large ones before cracking. The dealer assumed that it was due to me using an aggressive wheel cleaner - but my car has never been cleaned with any additive in the water other than Meguiars car shampoo.

I suggest you give your wheels a close inspection and get any faulty ones changed under warranty.

Alan: sincere thanks for that. Yes, the car is the Premium version and was first registered a month earlier than your i30. The wheels are generally in good condition which I took to be reflective of the 4,500 miles travelled from new, but, but, but. . . When I gave 'em a thorough cleaning yesterday, I noticed a 'bubbling' / blistering of the kind you describe. There's no actual cracking or splitting -- yet. I took the precaution of using Collinite 476  but if the cause is a mollecular degradation arising from a manufacturing flaw then no amount of external protection will stop it. Like you, I don't use aggressive chemical cleaners so will keep an eye on things over the next few weeks. I've now had time to read up on your experience and Shambles', too, so it looks as though there is a vulnerability here that may well be fundamental: plated plastic doesn't strike me as A Good Idea for road wheels. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Down here in the colonies, that wheel is reserved for the SR version (petrol only).
Mere SX & SLX variants can't have chrome.  :'(

Well, I won't comment on the innate superiority of the Mother Country. ;) However. . . if a motor car is seen as a statement of its owner's character and lifestyle, then Hyundai has just represented me as a plastic English cheapo afflicted by pimples.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Guys, I think Billy Connelly might be trolling our site. :whistler: :happydance: :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

^^^^^^^^^^^

Guys, I think Billy Connelly might be trolling our site. :whistler: :happydance: :goodjob2:

In which case we might get those photos of the Pinnacles afterall  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Brilliant posting, Flyyte!
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Thanks 1DRR, but I'm only trying to keep up with the high standard of articulate intellectual discourse which I now realise this forum exemplifies.  So many nice folks here, Hyundai should surely be paying each of 'em a premium for the enhanced value they are so generously adding to the brand's image.  (For fairly obvious reasons, Ugly Mongrel deserves an uplift to a pair of fees.)  ;)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Except you will come to realise that UMs uplift for a pair may just happen to lie in the trouser department! :rofl:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Except you will come to realise that UMs uplift for a pair may just happen to lie in the trouser department! :rofl:

If you judge people by the avatar they choose then UM is indeed painting a false picture - doubly so in fact with his enhancements. What lies in the depths of his trouser department is open to conjecture. We have seen no evidence here but his penchant for avoiding confrontation and hiding in the HOS might indicate at best a deficit and at worst a total absence.
 :Juggler:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
We have seen no evidence here but his penchant for avoiding confrontation and hiding in the HOS  :Juggler:

And so it shall remain :whistler:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Dunno, UM's a bit touchy when it comes to politics.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Flyyte..

Please excuse my belated response...I have been quite busy lately (long story to come)  :whistler:

Like most of our other members I really enjoyed your Introductory post and AlanHo and UM deserve an "honourable mention" for they replys too  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I might be on the other side of the world but i love that British sense of humour  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

Thanks, dazzler.  Hope your long story isn't a painful one!  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal