i30 Owners Club

(UK) Lucky enough to have ISG fitted to your i30? Well, better not disable it in London

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Not satisfied with proposing a £10 surcharge for diesel cars entering London, now you could be fined for having your engine running while stationary.

Motorists are being fined for leaving their diesel engines running, in a move aimed at cutting pollution.

A council has begun issuing on-the-spot £20 penalties for drivers who fail to turn their engines off when they are stationary, leading to claims it is introducing a ‘stealth tax’.

FFS

:link: £20 fine for leaving diesel engine running in move to cut pollution | Mail Online
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm glad I don't live there. Why pick on the ordinary folk, yet the royals can fly helis & jets to get from a to b. What a load of Bravo Oscar Romeo Lima Zulu.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :disapp: why don't they simply ban all internal combustion engines from London,makes a good argument for Electric or anternative fueled cars
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Not many "ordinary folk" drive in London anyway.  Consider it is 11.50 pounds per day, only the rich or the stupid would drive in London.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Not many "ordinary folk" drive in London anyway.  Consider it is 11.50 pounds per day, only the rich or the stupid would drive in London.

Living in Tasmania .........................................................................  :wink:

Many people need to drive into, and around, central London as part of their employment for which the employer usually pays.

Many people, neither rich nor stupid, actually live inside the zone and have to pay.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Living in Tasmania .........................................................................  :wink:

Many people need to drive into, and around, central London as part of their employment for which the employer usually pays.

Many people, neither rich nor stupid, actually live inside the zone and have to pay.

That doesn't mean that I have never been there.  From my experience and understanding, the majority of people utilised public transport to commute to the city.  True, I did forget about the people that are required to drive through London as part of their employment, I should not have called them stupid.  I was referring to people that commute to the city, fairly narrow minded of me, again I apologise.

A simple way to avoid the fine would be to not disable the ISG in their cars. 

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Is ISG the thing that stops and starts the engine when the cars at a stop? If so does it cause much engine wear? I thought the worst thing you can do to an engine is start it so I would think starting and stopping it like this would do a lot of damage.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Vaero

As ISG is designed by the manufacturer to be used in these engines it doesn't present any undue problems. The relevant systems, are beefed up to cater for long term usage. However, when they break, they'll be more expensive to repair. IMO, I doubt there are any savings to the owner to be gained over the life of the vehicle, it's just a measure to satisfy a select group of overbearing legislators.

Back to the thread title, there have been members here who have complained that ISG is not working. On investigation it has been determined that there are conditions which have to be met before ISG works. So how  are the revenue raisers going to determine why the ISG is / is not operating in a real time street circumstance.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I agree Phil.  My concern is how will the legislation cater for the times when the ISG is on but doesn't meet the requirements to switch off the engine?  Good idea, hard to police.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
The McMillan hospital is in Central London, with no direct transport home to North Essex (2.5 hrs at least) unable to drive (following ops.) I have to employ a driver to return home in my i30.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: FatBoy
... how will the legislation cater for the times when the ISG is on but doesn't meet the requirements to switch off the engine ...

The soot-busters will expect all drivers to turn their engines off manually, if necessary.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Reminds me how the Prius I hired in London and drove to Lincoln and Shrivenham enjoyed the congestion tax exemption despite having a bigger carbon footprint than the i30. :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Quote from: FatBoy
... how will the legislation cater for the times when the ISG is on but doesn't meet the requirements to switch off the engine ...

The soot-busters will expect all drivers to turn their engines off manually, if necessary.

Which I have been known to do in giant traffic hold-ups  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal