i30 Owners Club

(AUS) Victoria introduces 30km/h lane filtering

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Victoria introduces 30km/h lane filtering
BY MARK HINCHLIFFE 29 SEP, 2015

Victoria will join Queensland and NSW with 30km/h lane filtering for motorcycle and scooter riders from November 2, 2015.

The Victorian Motorcycle Council had called for a faster speed of 40km/h to coincide with Melbourne’s inner-city speed limit.

This followed complaints from riders in Queensland and New South Wales about the difficulty of monitoring their speed at 30km/h while filtering through traffic.

However Victorian Motorcycle Council chair Rob Salvatore has welcomed the introduction of lane-filtering laws, “showing that riders and Government can successfully work together to improve rider safety and reduce congestion, benefitting all road users”.

The rules differ slightly from New South Wales, allowing riders to ride between lines of traffic and parked cars.

Like other states and the ACT where they are trialling lane filtering, learners are not permitted to lane filter.

Rob says they have long campaigned for the safety benefits of lane filtering.

“The 2011 Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety confirmed that motorcycle lane filtering fundamentally improves rider safety,” he says.

“It reduces the risk of a nose-to-tail collision; the leading cause of rider hospitalisation in metropolitan Melbourne. Furthermore, filtering can significantly reduce peak hour congestion.”

The new Labor Government had promised to introduce the rules from September 1, but had encountered delays in the consultation process with riders, cyclists, pedestrians and drivers, and more than 1000 responses to their online survey.

Cyclists and pedestrians had not only objected to lane-filtering rules, but also to the proposed use of bike lanes for motorcyclists.

VicRoads will support the law change with a public awareness campaign for all road users.

More detailed information on the new filtering measures can be found at VicRoads.

The changes include permitted filtering:
  • between lanes or lines of traffic in the same direction
  • between lanes or lines of traffic and parked cars
  • for motorcycle licence holders (not learner permit holders)
  • at speeds up to 30km/h (penalties will apply for filtering in excess of 30km/h)
  • unless signed otherwise.

Fines and penalties have not yet been released, but they are quite extensive in other states.

Source: :link: Victoria introduces 30km/h lane filtering - Motorbike Writer

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
However Victorian Motorcycle Council chair Rob Salvatore has welcomed the introduction of lane-filtering laws, “showing that riders and Government can successfully work together to improve rider safety and reduce congestion, benefitting all road users”.

<snip>

“It reduces the risk of a nose-to-tail collision; the leading cause of rider hospitalisation in metropolitan Melbourne. Furthermore, filtering can significantly reduce peak hour congestion.”

What it reduces congestion?!?! :Shocked:

How would letting smaller vehicles, which can pass between larger ones who are queued up going slow/stopped, get to their destination quicker ever reduce congestion?!?  That is  :crazy2: I don't understand!

And it reduces nose-to-tail collision (more likely to happen in congestion) with motorcycles - because the motorcycles will be less likely to be between the front and rear of a larger vehicle?!?  :crazy1:  What dark magic is this?

I am not a motorcycle rider (too many deaths of close family and friends - Mum would kill me) - but the benefits to all are so readily apparent... I was shocked when I found out it was illegal in QLD (until they changed the law a little while back).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's all quite easy to understand, ibrokeit!  :D

<snip>

What it reduces congestion?!?! :Shocked:

How would letting smaller vehicles, which can pass between larger ones who are queued up going slow/stopped, get to their destination quicker ever reduce congestion?!?  That is  :crazy2: I don't understand!

Imagine if the motorcyclists couldn't lane split past, then where would they be?
They would be sitting in line with all the cars etc....therefore it would take you longer to get through traffic lights etc.

And it reduces nose-to-tail collision (more likely to happen in congestion) with motorcycles - because the motorcycles will be less likely to be between the front and rear of a larger vehicle?!?  :crazy1:  What dark magic is this?

No dark magic involved....it simply means that if they are lane splitting they are between the other vehicles so unless they pull back inbetween the other vehicles they are less likely to be involved in a nose to tail collision....simple, yes?  :D

I am not a motorcycle rider (too many deaths of close family and friends - Mum would kill me)

Tell mum there are many many more people killed in car accidents... :whistler:

I was shocked when I found out it was illegal in QLD (until they changed the law a little while back).

It was never actually illegal, just back then it was harder to do without breaking other road laws...

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
It's all quite easy to understand, ibrokeit!  :D

Imagine if the motorcyclists couldn't lane split past, then where would they be?
They would be sitting in line with all the cars etc....therefore it would take you longer to get through traffic lights etc.

No dark magic involved....it simply means that if they are lane splitting they are between the other vehicles so unless they pull back inbetween the other vehicles they are less likely to be involved in a nose to tail collision....simple, yes?  :D

Stop ruining my their little preconceived notions - that they know are true  :rofl:

Tell mum there are many many more people killed in car accidents... :whistler:

Don't think she would go for that!

It was never actually illegal, just back then it was harder to do without breaking other road laws...

Ahh right - sorry.  I just went on the basis you could get caught - so there was actually a prohibition on it.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal