i30 Owners Club

(AUS) Police patrol with unmarked Hayabusa

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
BY MARK HINCHLIFFE
5 MAR, 2016

You won’t know you’ve been caught by this Queensland Police Suzuki Hayabusa unmarked patrol bike until it’s too late.

It’s one of two unmarked police bikes with more to come.

Rider Sergeant Dave Nelson says he can scan a motorist’s speed up to 1km away.

“So I can see you before you see me and by the time you realise that I’m not just a normal motorcycle, but a police motorcyclist, it’s too late,” he says.

Police say that in the past two months, the bike has not only caught speeding motorists, but also a lot of drivers texting and not wearing seat belts.

The bike also has cameras fitted to collect evidence.

The police certainly have an eye for a high-speed patrol vehicle.

Still a great bang-for-your-buck bargain at $19.290 (+ORC), the Hayabusa looks fast just standing still.

But the figures tell the full story: The Hayabusa is powered by a 1340cc, four-cylinder engine with 145kW of power @ 9500rpm and 155Nm of torque at 7200rpm which helps propel it to 100km/h from standstill in under three seconds with a governed top speed of 300km/h.

We wonder whether the police have de-restricted it, although we’re not sure why they would need to!

The bike is one of two unmarked patrols, according to a QPS spokesperson. The other is a former marked police bike, but the spokesperson said information about the model was not readily available.

It’s believed to be either a BMW R 1200 RT or Yamaha FJR 1300.

Here is the QPS reply to our queries about the bike:

The QPS uses unmarked motorcycles as both an operational resource and to engage with motorcycle riders to discuss and promote road safety. Police regularly partner with the Department of Transport and Main Roads and RACQ to visit locations frequented by motorcyclists to promote road safety. It is intended that this approach will continue in the future.  Across Queensland, motorcycle safety is an important issue, with motorcyclists and pillion passengers accounting for a disproportionate number of serious injuries and fatalities. The QPS intends to expand the number of unmarked motorcycles in its fleet with a view of targeting road users doing the wrong thing and promoting road safety. The QPS is committed to enforcing road safety and often explores innovative ways of doing so.

So, we can expect to see more of these unmarked bikes in future – but not until it’s too late!

Source: :link: Police patrol with unmarked Hayabusa - Motorbike Writer

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So if they flag down a driver (motorist, van, lorry or biker) and they, rightly or wrongly, do not stop because they think this is just "joe the biker" who wants to mug them, will that motorist be done for failing to stop!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's got blue and red flashy thingies.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Police 'covert' or part 'covert' motor cycles as this one is have been used by several Australian Police Forces for many years.

NSW and Victoria have certainly used them. Yes the officer on the 'part covert' m/c  depicted is badged up and bike has regulatory blue light and probably siren too.  Covert bikes often work in pairs with a fully marked up police m/c.  The covert officer will detect the speed and call in the marked bike for support.

Certainly would be an offence for failing to stop for the part covert officer and m/c.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
So if they flag down a driver (motorist, van, lorry or biker) and they, rightly or wrongly, do not stop because they think this is just "joe the biker" who wants to mug them, will that motorist be done for failing to stop!!!!

You have to be joking,just look at him,M/C cops stick out like dogs balls on an Apple Pie,but they are an impressive bike, especially when you know how to deactivate the governor
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

You have to be joking,just look at him,M/C cops stick out like dogs balls on an Apple Pie,but they are an impressive bike, especially when you know how to deactivate the governor
Saw some footage of this bike being used around the Sunshine Coast.
I'd defy anyone to pick it as it's coming towards them. Until it's too late.
Apparently it's a demon pursuit bike.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
and probably siren too. 

Just above the RHS Muffler, I think.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
and probably siren too. 

Just above the RHS Muffler, I think.

Yes Phil, electric siren just above right exhaust pipe. :happydance:  And for info of our Brit friends, most OZ Police forces now have the Glock automatic pistol as worn by the police officer in pic. :victory:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Saw some footage of this bike being used around the Sunshine Coast.
I'd defy anyone to pick it as it's coming towards them. Until it's too late.
Apparently it's a demon pursuit bike.  :goodjob:

SD I don't deny that fact,if your breaking the law all power to them,you should be caught,but been my experience,whether they have marked or unmarked vehicles,by the time most drivers see them it is too late,due to technology these days,but just look at the setup, who in their right mind puts a pack rack,pannier box,huge tank bag on a superbike  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
who in their right mind puts a pack rack,pannier box,huge tank bag on a superbike  :lol:

Would be interesting to see how it behaves with that top box hanging out there in space...  :undecided:
There was a warning on the one I had fitted on my old bike saying not to exceed 140kph...

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
who in their right mind puts a pack rack,pannier box,huge tank bag on a superbike  :lol:

Would be interesting to see how it behaves with that top box hanging out there in space...  :undecided:
There was a warning on the one I had fitted on my old bike saying not to exceed 140kph...

Yes know what you mean,Many moons ago I had pannier box and saddler bags on my water Bucket(not in the Same class as bikes these days)going from memory I'm pretty sure the warnings on my gear was do not exceed 120kph

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

The top box would probably contain...Police Radio, Infringement Books, Alcometer for breath testing and one's vegemite sambos. :spitty: Or it could keep the Maccas or pizza hot for a while. :crazy1:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal