i30 Owners Club

IT Stuff

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Daz reminded me in another post its been a while since my last IT themed post, so here we go now.

A lot of stuff in the rack got retired since most of what was there is these days no longer the best way to secure a network.

Before

After

The edge device was moved to a relatively inexpensive 1RU chassis which I finally found after a long search. The previous host, a Zotac CI323 has been put in a drawer for now awaiting its next assignment. I have two of these Zotac devices, the other one originally bought to replace the HTPC, its now been repurposed into a desktop PC. These are silent and small, have low power consumption and ideal for normal desktop use with Win10. It instantly turns on as well which is nice. 

The edge device is running Untangle NG which I've been using for some years now.  There's a 100M fibre connected supplying internet.

Below that a TP-Link unmanaged switch, a replacement for the previous managed switch which after many years of service carked it. It was all that was available in the middle of the night when the other one expired and required replacement. The house has wired network connections everywhere with an AC wireless network overlay.

Below that a Synology RS815 NAS which is where all the photos and media live.

And then below that an ATA for the analog wireless phone handsets, TP-Link wireless access point and Philips Hue smart light controller.

The ATA is an analogue to digital phone interface. It effectively provides a phone connection for analog phones. All the other phones are IP connected directly to the network.

The Wireless network has a lot of devices now (phones, TV, music devices, Alexa thingies, smart remote controls, telemetry for the PV etc) and so a reliable multi band access point was required. The Cisco access points used in the past proved not to be up to the job which was disappointing. The new TP-Link Omada access point is overkill, but is very stable which is exactly what was needed.

The Philips Hue system was trialed in conjunction with the Amazon Echo system to control lights and devices around the house. Alexa tells a mean fart joke as it happens, but now the lights have been changed for a standard LED from a Philips Hue lamp, the use is diminished. In conjunction with a smart controller we can voice control the airconditioner which is neato, but a pita to setup. I'm not sure its worth the effort in my case but as I mentioned a bit of fun if you feel like some Star Trek silliness (Alexa beam me up), fart jokes, set an alarm with a voice command or need to know what the weather might do without looking out the window.

Last is the power conditioning/UPS which keeps the internet up in the event of power outages. This has enough capacity to keep things running for hours without mains power.

You might be wondering what all this stuff is needed for and that folks will be the topic of another post. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:53:20 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Part 2. So what?

Seems like a lot of trouble, right? Especially when you could just bang in the ISP supplied router and be done with it.

Yes and no. If you look at the diagram above, note the item shown as media devices. These are the TV's and audio devices around the house and while they do connect wirelesslessly, are also wired and these are the destination for streaming. In particular, 4K streaming with Dolby Atmos which requires a lot of bandwidth. And while your ISP supplied router might handle it, there's capacity for multiple simultaneous video and audio streams at an idle, no problem at all.

And while that's all well and good, the router provides content filtering and edge protection, there's two layers of antivirus and some other magic going on as well. It's been utterly reliable in this respect for many years now, the only thing that's changed from time to time has been the  hardware its been run on.

I have a thing for Yamaha and its MusicCast capability. This permits sound from any network connected source like Spotify to be played on any or all MusicCast devices around the house. There are multiple devices in the house but in the lounge we have the Audio Tardis, Yamaha N602, wall mounted PSB Imagine Mini speakers and PSB sub. Sounds epic with Spotify but much better with media files from the NAS.

A while back I did a deep dive into the capability of the onboard DAC to work out what sounded best (bit rates/file types and so forth). Informed, I performed some tests and then ripped all my CD's to the NAS as FLAC files for later consumption. This provides audibly better reproduction than Spotify for those times you want to hear everything. CD's are now a storage problem requiring a solution, there's a lot and they take up a lot of space.

All driven by a smart phone or tablet or smart TV across the network.

There's also a smaller Yamaha net player which is controlled the same way,  powered from the network and has access to the same sources. 

Overkill?? Almost certainly, but it works very well indeed.

On the work front, there's a fair bit of video conferencing and telephony goes on as well. Its more than adequate for stable video conferencing and voip calls. The sorts of things that cause issues (latency, packet loss and jitter) are absent and router QoS settings ensure that streaming, voice and video conferencing can all coexist happily simultaneously. And because its powered by a relatively huge processor, that's a thing your ISP supplied router is unlikely to be able to do as effectively.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Don't forget the batteries in those tiny APC smartUPS tend to go bang about 4 years old. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Between your passion for Cycling, music, photography and IT you lead an interesting and varied life Keith. I think that is why we have always gotten on quite well.

It might seem to those that know me well that I'm only focussed on one thing, I've always been like a big sponge for information regarding almost any topic. I really do have a wide list of interests which somewhat ovelaps yours Keith. 

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Food Daz, you forgot food. And dad jokes, although I am yet to achieve grand master status like you.

When does a joke become a dad joke? When its fully groan, obviously.  :crazy1:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Don't forget the batteries in those tiny APC smartUPS tend to go bang about 4 years old.

Indeed. Although this one is not especially little. In this one there are 4 big batteries, and I get about two years thereabouts. And they tend to go boom in the middle of the night.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal