i30 Owners Club

A Donaldism

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I have a somewhat unrelated question for our West Australian friends.

NSW Premier, Gladys is hoeing into our Premier, Annastacia, big time over border closures. (I admit, I can't spell either of their surnames). Although some wags are suggesting Gladys' last name is "Veryjigglycans".  :happydance:

Yet, from what I can see the WA borders are just as closed.
What's the general opinion on them amongst the man (and woman) in the street?
The recent Qld election result suggests a significant majority of Queenslanders are in favour of the restrictions.

Our borders are going to be opening up, but the feeling on the street is that a lot of people are in favour of closed borders.
I live about forty minutes away from Rockingham which is where our Premier Mark McGowan lives. On any given Saturday morning you'll see him walking down the cafe strip and he's treated like a rock star, people stopping to talk, take selfies, etc. He even stopped a couple of months ago to discuss my Hairy Lime P76, lol.
I think it's time borders were opened up now personally (and they are) and that it was becoming a bit of a "re-election issue" (March 2021) rather than a "public health issue" but in any event, his border closure measures were seen as very popular especially as we had such low COVID rates.
Sounds pretty much like QLD.
We've been lucky.  But I think you have to make your own luck.
And although I've not been a Labor supporter for over 30 years, and still aren't,  I'm pleased Labor got back in last month.
In times as volatile as this, it's dangerous to rock the boat
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Pretty much the same here. I've never voted Labor in my life but the McGowan government has actually done a pretty good job with COVID and the Libs here are pathetic at the moment, with no leadership, so although I won't be helping him, McGowan will easily win re-election in March IMO.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Pretty much the same here. I've never voted Labor in my life but the McGowan government has actually done a pretty good job with COVID and the Libs here are pathetic at the moment, with no leadership, so although I won't be helping him, McGowan will easily win re-election in March IMO.

I voted Labor when I was younger.  I grew up in a very working class household.  My Dad was a boilermaker and always seemed to be elected as the on site union rep wherever he worked.
My great uncle was the only Communist Party member elected to parliament in Australia.  :mrgreen:
But I lost faith in Labor as the Unions began to interfere in more and more of things I personally didn't believe they had a right to do so.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Hey Dave this was sent to me this morning

The Clown
The clown in the White House just brokered four Middle East Peace Accords, something that 71 years of political intervention and endless war failed to produce.
The buffoon in the White House is the first president that has not engaged us in a foreign war since Eisenhower.
The clown in the White House has had the greatest impact on the economy, bringing jobs, and lowering unemployment to the Black and Latino population of ANY other president. Ever.
The buffoon in the White House has exposed the deep, widespread, and long-standing corruption in the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, and the Republican and Democratic parties.
The buffoon in the White House turned NATO around and had them start paying their dues.
The clown in the White House neutralized the North Koreans, stopped them from developing a further nuclear capability, sending missiles toward Japan, and threatening the West Coast of the US.
The clown in the White House turned our relationship with the Chinese around, brought hundreds of businesses back to the US, and revived the economy. Hello!!!!!!!
The clown in the White House has accomplished the appointing of three Supreme Court Justices and close to 300 Federal Judges.
This same clown in the White House lowered your taxes, increased the standard deduction on your IRS return from $12,500 for Married Filing Joint to $24,400 and caused your stock market to move to record levels over 100 times, positively impacting the retirements of tens of millions of citizens.
The clown in the White House fast-tracked the development of a COVID Vaccine - it will be available within weeks - we still don't have a vaccine for SARS, Bird Flu, Ebola, or a host of diseases that arose during previous administrations.
The clown in the White House rebuilt our military which the Obama administration had crippled and had fired 214 key generals and admirals in his first year of office.
I got it, you don't like him. Many of you utterly hate and despise him. How special of you. He is serving you and ALL the American people. What are you doing besides calling him names and laughing about him catching the China virus ?????
And please educate me again as to what Biden has accomplished for America in his 47 years in office?
I’ll take a ‘clown’ any day versus a fork tongued, smooth talking hypocritical corrupt liar. Please let it be known, I am not sure I would want to have a beer with him (if he drank, which he doesn't) or even be his friend. I don’t care if I even like him. I want a strong leader who isn’t afraid to kick some ass when needed. I don’t need a fatherly figure - I already have one. I don’t need a liar - that's what Hollywood and CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS and the New York Times are for.
I don’t need someone to help me, but I also don’t want an obstacle or a demented, senile washed-up Swamp Monster.
The world is a dangerous place - history has proven that. If the ‘world’ loves our President- its probably since he and our country is a chump for admiration.
God bless Donald Trump - the most unappreciated President in history.

Hi John, long time, no see.
Yes, I've seen that and there are some good truths in there.
Your shout for coffee.  :D

No problems on the coffee...name your time and date.....
Just curious....isn't our borders going to open on the 14th November. If that is the case Clive Palmer could have saved himself a lot of dollars in court fees to get our borders open. Since he lost the court case , I wonder how much it cost him to go through the courts?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

No problems on the coffee...name your time and date.....
Just curious....isn't our borders going to open on the 14th November. If that is the case Clive Palmer could have saved himself a lot of dollars in court fees to get our borders open. Since he lost the court case , I wonder how much it cost him to go through the courts?

It would have cost plenty and I may stand corrected but I think I heard that the state government was awarded $100,000 in court costs that CP has to pay and that the govt is putting that into a separate fund to fight future litigation.
I'll give you a call re coffee, maybe during the week. :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Bit ate here, I think everyone just having a go at Trump, but I think we need to think more on the lines, Biden & Harris , what will they be like? the way I see it is Biden has poor health, he is 78 , so won't last long & Harris will take over, a very nasty spiteful piece of work if you ask me.

On QLD & WA boarder closed, I look at it this way , as I said once before, you can fit England seven times into NSW. then you can Fit NSW seven times into WA, so there is a whole lot of room there don't be scared!!
Then on QLD I think Poor ol Joh would be rolling in his Grave!!! cheers. I'm a bit worried about Harris !!!

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi John, Nice to hear from you!

I'm guessing you are another Trump fan?

Actually no Daz........ in my earlier life , I got right into politics from both sides to see how everyone and everything works. I also had a good school friend that ended up on the front bench of the labor party with the big fat one from WA. Because of what I learned as to how the two parties work, I really don't want to play with politics. As for the benefits they get, well thats another story

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John, Nice to hear from you!

I'm guessing you are another Trump fan?

Actually no Daz........ in my earlier life , I got right into politics from both sides to see how everyone and everything works. I also had a good school friend that ended up on the front bench of the labor party with the big fat one from WA. Because of what I learned as to how the two parties work, I really don't want to play with politics. As for the benefits they get, well thats another story

Cheers John, Always dangerous to assume..

I'm hoping to get over there in January Covid permitting. I'll be keeping You , Dave and Craig in the loop for a catch up if it happens. Hope the better half is travelling ok now!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal