i30 Owners Club

what engine oil are you using.? [2.0 petrol i30] crdi coments welcome.

2i30s · 27 · 11844

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm wondering the type of engine oil you use and what sort of temperatures the oil is being used in. for example, I'm in Melbourne,Australia and my weather varies between around 16c to the mid 40c mark in summer and around 1c to 14c in winter.I'm not happy with the oil my dealer is using. I'm after your honest impression of its performance in varied temperatures. also your kms or mls on the car.  cheers Steve.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

ouri30
Our dealer uses Valvoline (you know what I mean) 5W40 Synpower.  Is rather expensive at around $60 an oil change.  The same oil is used in our Santa Fe CRDi as well.  I assume it is fully synthetic and suitable for use in vehicles with a DPF as the Santa Fe has one.

Bob

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
A lot of us on the forum use Castrol Edge 5W-30, as do a lot of my friends. It's not too expensive, coming in at about AU$50-$55, and even cheaper on specials! Also, it's fully synthetic.

It's solely what I've run on my car, even supplying my servicing place the Castrol Edge oil.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Steve,

I was just about to say that exact same thing... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've noticed in just a couple of posts the massive price difference.the oil in our two cars is only $35 for 5 liters,$50-$60 for oil HAS to be the better option.  :idea:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
im getting some nice replies, thanks .   :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mobil 1 is supposed to be very good (but you pay for the priviledge) I don't know if it is twice as good as Castrol Edge...

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mobil 1 is supposed to be very good (but you pay for the priviledge) I don't know if it is twice as good as Castrol Edge...

Comes down to personal preference. I don't think it makes much to any difference between the two types of oil, to be completely honest. I mean, oils ain't oils (heh  :rolleyes: ), but is there much of a difference between the two oils, especially in an almost new petrol (or diesel) engine...?

The only way to test this is to buy two i30s, but even then, I could almost see very little variation between the two, using two different oils in each of the motors. And still, the variations between the cars themselves would be more prominent...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm taking in all information dazz.this multi valve engine oil thing is new to me.  :rolleyes:  I'm used to using mineral based oils in 20 year old cars.  :lol:

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm taking in all information dazz.this multi valve engine oil thing is new to me.  :rolleyes:  I'm used to using mineral based oils in 20 year old cars.  :lol:

:) Gotta start somewhere right?

I reckon you choose an oil, and stick with it, servicing it regularly. Ultimately the differences between major expensive synthetic oils that we mention aren't so absurdly different that you will get an extra few thousand kms... I hope :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Comes down to personal preference. I don't think it makes much to any difference between the two types of oil, to be completely honest. I mean, oils ain't oils (heh  :rolleyes: ), but is there much of a difference between the two oils, especially in an almost new petrol (or diesel) engine...?

The only way to test this is to buy two i30s, but even then, I could almost see very little variation between the two, using two different oils in each of the motors. And still, the variations between the cars themselves would be more prominent...
i just happen to have 2i30s .  :mrgreen: but im not going to use 2 different oils as a test.   :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
duckman,the magnatec oil the dealer uses is the best oil,he recons. im willing to pay $50-$60 for oil if its still all there after 7,500kms.imagine trying to go 15,000kms on the oil im using now.  :eek: :rolleyes:

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

From the Mobil 1 family, ESP represents the very latest technology for the next generation of engines. It has not only been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in petrol engines, but also caters for the latest diesel emission technology. It is particularly suited to newer diesel engines fitted with a Particulate Filters. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 values:

* Enhances fuel economy
    * Contributes to prolonging the life and maintaining efficiency of Diesel
    * Particulate Filters (DPFs) and petrol Catalytic Converters (CAT's)
    * Meets the requirements of extended service intervals (refer to owner manual)
    * Suitable for diesel and petrol engines
    * Gives outstanding wear protection
    * All temperature durability
    * Helps improve against sludge

Meets or exceeds the following specifications:
API SJ/SL/SM/CF
ACEA A3/A5/B3/B4/B5/C2/C3

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
nice response srt metro.  :cool:

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi!
My other car is an old 6 cylinder BMW 320i Coupe Aut 1993 model.
Over 300000 km on the ODO with Mobil 1 and still no problems at all with the engine.
Oil change every 20000 Km...
Dont need to fill up between oil changes...
I can really recommend this oil...  :) :) :)

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My other car is an old 6 cylinder BMW 320i Coupe Aut 1993 model.
Over 300000 km on the ODO

A bit off topic but looks gr8 for that mileage..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yes i thought so as well.i wasn't going to say that fearing rotten fruit and vegetables being thrown at me.  :lol: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Steve (back on topic) If it were me I'd grab some Castrol Edge on special and try that for the next service in atleast one of your cars .. what have you got to lose.. Can't see the point of paying $60+ when $35 should do the job..

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
I just got my i30 CDRi and have bought a litre top bottle of Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 it's what Hyundai recommend in my owners manual. But it's not cheap !

i30Sean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Big W had Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 on clearance today for A$40 but as I have 3 x 5Ltr Castrol Edge at home I didn't bother to grab one if any Aus members are near a Big W in the next couple of days it might be worth checking if they have any left...(that is a good price...!!!)

Offline exotix

• 1st Gear

• ma Morocco
      Morocco
hi,

which oil do you recommend for my I30 crdi:  shell helix ultra extra 5W30 or 5W40  ?

Thanks a lot.

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
In the owners manual it says 5W-30 but the important bit is the ACEA must be C3.

We have a thread going on the Hyundai UK site about this!

http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2508

Regards i30Sean

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
5W-30 full synthetic should be ok if it matches the quality demand mentioned in the handbook. With 20 000 km oil change interval, the oil is not that critical.

Using 40 weight (5W-40) will only increase fuel consumption.

Same with some of those extremely expensive "long life" oils, they are apparently made by distilling from some cancer medicine, and they will not prolong the life of your engine, they just make your wallet lighter :)

BTW.

Just a word of warning: I would not buy cheap name brand engine oil from ebay or somesuch. Practically speaking anything is forged in China nowadays, and that does include engine oils.

The can may look genuine, even up to the hologram stickers, but inside is some nondescript mineral oil that is barely suitable for soviet military trucks...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal